Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup... after getting caught holding their dicks in their hands (proverbally) waiting for Trotz's decision last time around, i hope that they act quickly to hire whoever they like this time

Agreed. They seem to be waiting to give Nelson an interview but it may cost them Berube/Evanson if they like one or both.

Reactions: Buffdog

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yup, but you have to think if they are just going to go through the motions that it will get around and coaches won't apply for future positions with the org.

Even if the Jets are 100% looking for the best available coach and not just doing the big search for optics... if they end up hiring Arniel, everyone will still be convinced that he was always the plan. The only way TNSE comes out looking like it wasn't going thru the motions, is if they hire someone other than Arniel.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
To me you want a coach in place in time for the draft , so they still have a little time to decide yet.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Holy... like one month of waiting isn't going to make any difference - unless Chevy wants to ask the new coach about ufa/roster which I doubt

They supposedly want to interview Todd Nelson, who is currently leading an AHL team to back-to-back Calder Cup championships.

Agreed. They seem to be waiting to give Nelson an interview but it may cost them Berube/Evanson if they like one or both.

Good thing I want neither of them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They supposedly want to interview Todd Nelson, who is currently leading an AHL team to back-to-back Calder Cup championships.

Good thing I want neither of them.

Neither do I. I would love for this org to take a chance on a coach like Nelson. Up and coming coach who has won at the lower levels.

Does anyone know his coaching philosophy and systems? I can't remember all that much from his short stint in Edmonton.

Reactions: GNP and Keystone

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Neither do I. I would love for this org to take a chance on a coach like Nelson. Up and coming coach who has won at the lower levels.

Does anyone know his coaching philosophy and systems? I can't remember all that much from his short stint in Edmonton.

Kinda similar to Bowness off the quick reads of some articles, at least in defense first hockey leading to offense?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What's the deal with Gerard Gllant? Seems like he's had success most places he's been but can't seem to stick around for very long

Is it a coaching style thing?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd consider one month a quick decision..

Sure - just pointing out the one downside of taking too long.

It was posted here earlier that TML were going to announce their decision by the end of this week. Of course there is no guarantee that happens. Just rumour.

Reactions: surixon

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for this. Looks to me like they are looking to continue the defense first approach as all the candidates mentioned so far seem to be more in that mode.
Not just a good defensive systems coach, but adaptable to the opposition's tactics and with the character that they have always sought in players and coaches. From the above article:

"...That was Nelson’s goal when he came to Hershey, part of a coaching package that he terms both the “art and science” of the profession. He long ago put in place the science, the systems play that has made the Bears such a successful shut-down club. When needed against Rochester, he made further adjustments that have bottled up the Amerks’ speed.

“How do you get these guys to buy in?” Nelson asked. “How do you get these guys to become a family? How do you get these guys to play hard for each other?”

With lots of patience, communication, honesty, and direct talk. Nelson built that relationship with his players, got that buy-in from his group, and now they all are seeing the payoff."

This is not about Arniel or Nelson or any specific candidate, but about the Jets' management. The fact that they are casting a wide net for the right person supports my thesis that they are VERY unhappy with this year's end and are prepared to make significant changes.
Despite my criticism of their complacency in the past, that's water under the bridge; each off-season is another opportunity to get things right.

So far, so good...but then I said the same thing 2 minutes into the first period of the playoffs...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not just a good defensive systems coach, but adaptable to the opposition's tactics and with the character that they have always sought in players and coaches. From the above article:

"...That was Nelson’s goal when he came to Hershey, part of a coaching package that he terms both the “art and science” of the profession. He long ago put in place the science, the systems play that has made the Bears such a successful shut-down club. When needed against Rochester, he made further adjustments that have bottled up the Amerks’ speed.

“How do you get these guys to buy in?” Nelson asked. “How do you get these guys to become a family? How do you get these guys to play hard for each other?”

With lots of patience, communication, honesty, and direct talk. Nelson built that relationship with his players, got that buy-in from his group, and now they all are seeing the payoff."

This is not about Arniel or Nelson or any specific candidate, but about the Jets' management. The fact that they are casting a wide net for the right person supports my thesis that they are VERY unhappy with this year's end and are prepared to make significant changes.
Despite my criticism of their complacency in the past, that's water under the bridge; each off-season is another opportunity to get things right.

So far, so good...but then I said the same thing 2 minutes into the first period of the playoffs...

This is a good post. He sounds like the kind of coach I'd like to see steer the group. The fact he knows Chevy is a plus.

You know I'm beginning to think you are correct. For once this org actually seems to be pissed off. Chevy probably felt he gave this group all the tools they needed to contend for the cup and they shit the bed again. I wouldn't be happy if I where in his shoes. It also sounds like the team leaders are actually angry about it. I think there are a lot of players in our room that are embarrassed/pissed going into the summer.

It seems like maybe the org has finally moved past the happy to be here and just happy to make the PO stage. It's probably a half decade past due, but I think it bodes well moving forward. A good many teams haven't made jump to true contender until they got angry about it and stopped making excuses.

I have to think had the group showed up and won a round and played well Arniel would already have the job. But given how craptastic we have looked both this and last year in the playoffs, he likely has lost some support and is likely now fighting for the job.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I'm starting to thing that this Todd Nelson dude just might the coach that this team needs, I also agree with this core group it's time to get way past the first round next year or it's time to move some pieces.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm starting to thing that this Todd Nelson dude just might the coach that this team needs, I also agree with this core group it's time to get way past the first round next year or it's time to move some pieces.

I expect Ehlers to be gone this summer. Only other piece left would be KC. I doubt Helle, JoMo, or Scheifele are moved.

Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I expect Ehlers to be gone this summer. Only other piece left would be KC. I doubt Helle, JoMo, or Scheifele are moved.
They won't move KC - and I honestly doubt they move any of them.
If anyone is moved, it will be bottom 6 players - that's assuming they want to open up room for youth.
You move KC and Ehlers, and you are in rebuild territory - if you're going down that road, you might was well move 55 as well.
Regardless, I would be shocked if they move any of these guys - Ehlers possibly, but unlikely.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad