Winnipeg Draft Review

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Heading into the day, the Jets had picks number #11, #41, #57 and #71.

PREMABLE
Even though I had an almost top ten pick this year, my entire draft revolved around trying to grab D Phillippe Myers from the QMJHL (undrafted last year, signed as a FA by Philly this past off-season).

Leading up to the draft check the rosters page every three weeks and look for every variation of the name "Myers" or "Meyers", etc -

I had the 41st pick and I suffered from delusions that he would somehow fall to #41. I was worried mainly about Sean Keogh drafting him with his late first or an early second, but luckily Sean only had a late first.

As far as the other prize for me on this day, I knew that at #11, I would be at the tail end of "tier 3" in this draft and would come up with a potential consolation prize from the grouping of Juloevi, Sergachev, Jost, Keller, Nylander, Chychrun, Brown.

DRAFT DAY

Having had some unfruitful discussions to get the #1 pick from the Lightning, I moved on to see if Dan was willing to trade the #2 pick. I believe I may have had a decent chance to get the pick but I balked at Dan's asking price. And of course the rest is history...

I ended up making two trades on draft day and ended up with seven picks instead of the four I started with.

Trade #1: Because of my Myers' related anxiety and after having Sergachev, Jost and Brown get taken off the board, I was open to trading the #11 to gain a high second pick to potentially grab Myers.

I traded the #11 to get #18, #36 and #45. Passed up on Clayton Keller

Pick #1: 18th overall - Luke Kunin - I had Kunin 12th on my draft board, so I'm pretty happy with being able to get him at 18 (my day went downhill after this pick). I think he will go higher than 18th in the real draft next week and his stock is on an upward trajectory.
Would have considered but not available: Bellows, McAvoy.
Also considered: Phillipe Myers :(

Pick #2: 36th overall - Nathan Bastain - This was my one big F up of the day. I was torn between Bitten and Bastain. I had another pick coming up soon and I gambled that Bitten would still be available at #41. I think Bitten has the higher floor but Bastain has the higher ceiling. Bastain played with McLeod and Nylander this year, but I watched enough of him to know that he can hold his own. Bold prediction - he will end up being a better NHLer than McLeod (hi Gaffney :) )
Would have considered but not available: Kyrou, Katchouck (really hoped he would fall from the first round), Grundstrom.
Also considered: Will Bitten, John Dahlen,

Trade #2: With Bitten and Dahlen taken right after my pick, I had a slew of guys I could consider at #41 and I already had #45 as well, so I traded down

I traded #41 for #47 and #87. Passed up on Mascherin

Pick #3: 45th overall - Carter Hart - I was torn between Gustavsson and Hart. Tony made that decision easy for me. These are the only two goalies I would have considered taking in the second round in this draft and with Dryden ever lurking, I couldn't afford to wait. At 17, here's hoping Hart still has a little bit of a late growth spurt in him.
Would have considered but not available: Gustavsson
Also considered: Wade Allison, Cameron Morrison,

Pick #4: 47th overall - Kale Clague- I mistakenly crossed Clague off my list and it was only upon trade discussions with another GM, that I realized he was still available. Clague was a late first rounder on my list. Playing behind Erkamps and Provorov this year, and with an injury riddled 14-15 season, he's only had 91 WHL games under his belt. Great vision, can really skate. Needs more consistency in the defensive end. He'll be on slow simmer.
Would have considered but not available: n/a
Also considered: Cliff Pu

Pick #5: 57th overall - Ryan Lindgren - I had 5 guys earmarked for this spot. They went in the five picks right before mine - in order : Niemelainen, Dineen, Fox, Kuokkanen, Dube.
Lindgren will be an NHLer just not sure if I see as much upside in him as the three d-men referenced above.
Would have considered but not available: see above
Also considered: Taylor Raddysh

Pick #6: 71st overall - Tim Gettinger - Debated between him and Sokolov. I figured after going for guys like Clague and Bastain, I might want to play it a little safer (between this two prospects!) and go with Gettinger. He's a big guy who can skate. Not sure about his offensive potential but I think size and skating ability will get him an extended look at the NHL level, even if his offense doesn't develop.

I immediately regretted choosing Gettinger over Sokolov after the selection and tried desperately to trade up to grab Sokolov as soon as possible. I had one trade lined up but Sokolov was taken a few picks after and it was all moot.

Would have considered but not available: Givani Smith, Taylor Raddysh
Also considered: Sokolov

Pick #7: 87th overall - Sean Day - What more can be said about Sean Day. He could fall worse than Nick Ebert and not even get drafted next week.

Ultimate boom or bust pick. Hell, unless he does a complete 180, I don't think his hockey IQ will ever let him be more than a #4 at best. And that's without taking into consideration all of the other negatives associated with him.

I took a flyer on a lesser version of Day in Kylington last year, and that has paid off in spades, so let's hope I am 2 for 2.

Would have considered but not available: Jack Kopacka, Luke Green
Also considered: Heh

CONCLUSION: Was a pretty terrible draft day for me. Lost out on Phillipe Myers. Made a mistake on Bitten vs Bastain. Made a similar mistake on Gettinger vs Sokolov. Drafted Sean Day. All while my nemesis picked Matthews, Laine, Pool Party and another 9 guys.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Just think how boring things would be if you didn't have a nemesis. I like the draft for you, Gettinger aside.

I was surprised you traded out of 11 given you had listed Chychrun as a guy you liked but hearing the Myers plan after and it makes sense. Kunin was a guy I was trying to trade back up to get so I like him. I also like Bastian over Bitten and was thinking goalie in the same range you were so I missed out on the top 2 I wanted. We were very much on the same page in the 2nd it seems.

I was on the fence with Sokolov but I think he's a better pick for teams like ours at that point in the 3rd if Gettinger was the alternative. And at that point in the draft, Day fits into the same profile...swing for the fences.

Overall...very well done. Plus, you still have McDavid. :handclap:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I can't believe Clague slid that far either, and in fact had mistakenly thought he was drafted. I might have traded up if not. Late first rounder in my book.

If you hadn't taken Lindgren at 57, I would have taken him at 58. So thanks for that. I agree that he may not have a ton of upside, but I think as a potential #4 who plays in all situations, he could play up in our ratings system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad