Proposal: Winnipeg-Buffalo

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This would only happen if Stastny doesn’t Re-sign with the Jets.

To Buffalo:
W- N. Ehlers
G- S. Mason

To Winnipeg:
R. O’Reilly

The lower cap could possibly allow the Jets to keep their strong right side of the defense (Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers).

Sabres get younger, and faster.

As a Sabres fan I would assume this would be in the Jets favor since they’re getting a center for a winger and ditching a bad contract as well.

What would Jets fans add to make this happen? Particularly looking for good skaters, who are young NHL players, or prospects who are close to the NHL.

Also, I’m not saying I necessarily want to deal O’Reilly, just having fun with ideas if they did decide to deal him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why would the Jets be the ones adding? Ehlers is cheaper, younger and has more control than ROR and both have similar positive impacts on the team.

Mason's contract is bad, but its only an extra year so its not a massive negative. Jets will have around 25 mil available to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, etc. Shouldn't be a problem.

Buffalo adds here, not Winnipeg.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Why would the Jets be the ones adding? Ehlers is cheaper, younger and has more control than ROR and both have similar positive impacts on the team.

Mason's contract is bad, but its only an extra year so its not a massive negative. Jets will have around 25 mil available to re-sign Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, etc. Shouldn't be a problem.

Buffalo adds here, not Winnipeg.

Looks like WPG is adding nothing but a bad contract?

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
I kinda don't mind it. ROR is one of my favourite players. Probably the best 2C in the league. Would hate to part with Ehlers though he's just getting started.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo says no.
ROR's value is much higher than that imo.
He's one of the top 2 premier shutdown centers in the league according to every NHL insider (and they are correct in this case by the way)
He just broke the NHL face off wins in a season record
He's signed to a reasonable contract for the next 5 years, of which all are his prime years.
He's averaged 60+ points a season on a team that has dealt with severe rebuild roster syndrome.

Sorry, but ROR is worth more than Ehlers and Mason

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm a big fan of Ehlers, but this is an interesting idea.....helps with our 2C issue assuming Stastny walks. As a Jets fan I certainly would think about it.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I'm a big fan of Ehlers, but this is an interesting idea.....helps with our 2C issue assuming Stastny walks. As a Jets fan I certainly would think about it.
I don't think it would work. Stasny is as good as gone and although it might help with your 2C issue you'd be losing one of your top 2nd line wingers. Ehlers contract is gold considering his age etc. IMO Riley Nash would be a better UFA option.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't think it would work. Stasny is as good as gone and although it might help with your 2C issue you'd be losing one of your top 2nd line wingers. Ehlers contract is gold considering his age etc. IMO Riley Nash would be a better UFA option.

Nash is a much cheaper option if we could get him......albeit you get what you pay for a much worse player. Cap would be far less, but he’s right handed shot which isn’t ideal with Laine. The big issue with ROR is his cap hit......it’s huge.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Bad for Buffalo. ROR’s contract isn’t overpaid, it’s fair value and front loaded. He makes 500K more than Kane will next year. His play has been consistently good on awful teams.

ROR is also the team’s best defensive center, trading him for a winger and an albatross contract is a non-starter. The only reason to trade ROR was for a #1 defenseman. That isn’t a pressing need after the Sabres won the draft lottery.

Go after Nash.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Would be nice to finally get Jack a winger...

But O'Reilly is just a more important player. 60 points, elite defensive play. Wouldn't make sense to do this, even though Ehlers is a very good player.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I would do this.

Younger and cheaper and he fits in with the age of the core much better.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As a Jet fan I say no. Ehlers is our best chance to keep Laines cap below his market value. Ehlers and Laine are BFFs, and Ehlers signed to that steal contract, maybe Laine could take a pay cut. If Ehlers are traded, we can pretty much assume Laine will be pissed and wants top dollars.

And Im not really keen on the Idea of having ROR Buff and Little on massive contracts when they are 30 plus. You need to keep those contracts to a minimum.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
O'Reilly is insanely good at defense. Many would salivate over a one-two punch of Scheifele and ROR; they have absolutely everything you could ever ask for from two centers.

Would not hate the deal in the OP that much.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Not enough value for ROR and what he brings. And Mason isnt enough to fill the gap as much as I love Ehlers personally. Throw in another mid piece (Lowry, Armia or Chariot?) and I'd be more inclined as a sabre, even if we add slightly to ROR

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I doubt the Jets would want to give up Ehlers, but Ryan O'Reilly is a beast.

BTW @Gurilla Draisaitl or Malkin is the best 2C in the league

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Winnipeg doesn't need another center, I think.

outside this offer---I think Winnipeg does if Statsny walks. they need a strong 2nd center. I don't see them having one to step in next year.

As for this trade---I could see Buffalo doing something like this. I think they would also ask for a V Defense prospect not yet signed or will start ELC in 18/19. Then Buffalo probably retains some salary

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Not enough value for ROR and what he brings. And Mason isnt enough to fill the gap as much as I love Ehlers personally. Throw in another mid piece (Lowry, Armia or Chariot?) and I'd be more inclined as a sabre, even if we add slightly to ROR
I could see Armia being part of the deal if Buffalo is looking to add a defensive forward.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I love Ehlers and would probably do this. Trading ROR only makes sense for me if we replace him with a high end UFA C. At that point we might be better off trading him for a D.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Good deal, and if Buffalo has to throw in a 2nd or mid tier prospect, or a Zemgus Girgenson then so be it. Although I'd still rather trade ROR for a young dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad