News Article: Winning the draft lottery

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Obviously Connor McDavid is the top overall pick. Expects says he's the best prospect since Sidney Crosby. Nonetheless, many of these same experts says Jack Eickel is the second best prospect since Crosby behind only McDavid.

There entire tank campaign has been around guaranteeing McEickel. However, was it truly about getting one of the two, or is McDavid the guy you REALLY want?

There a simple question.

Do you really care if the Sabres win the draft lottery?

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I want the #1 pick but the way it's worded, no McDavid doesn't have to be the guy.

But it's always better to have your pick rather than settling. Everyone wants the #1 pick.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Yea, obviously you want McDavid. However, I would be fine with Eichel. He's going to be a damned good player.

As we all know, even if the Sabres finish last, it's only a 20% chance for the #1 pick anyway. I'd be expecting Eichel, and more than pleasantly surprised if we got McDavid.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's all about perspective. Getting to the bottom was the goal in the beginning so that we could ensure one of these two. Now that we are closing in on the stated goal, that extra gear of, "I really want this one guy" is kicking in. It's a little bit greedy, but it's the obvious next stage of the process. Yeah, I care who we get. Getting McDavid would be a dream come true for Sabre fans. But getting Eichel is mission accomplished for this season.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I'm content with #1 or #2.

The odds don't favor McDavid, but I guarantee we're never going to hear the end of it from fans of other clubs when we wind up with Eichel.

"Haha! Buffalose! You lost McDavid, you lost McDavid!"

Ya.. OK... thanks for "rubbing it in" - we'll take our Eichel and go home.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Of course. I'm just happy we have Eichel insurance if it doesn't happen.

For any conspiracy nuts, think of the following narrative the NHL could push for the 2018 Winter Classic

The Jack Eichel and the Seattle Coyotes travel to the frozen outpost of Buffalo to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the winter classic where it all began, Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo NY, to faceoff with the Connor McDavid and the Buffalo Sabres.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The poll doesn't really give the right set of choices because the wording is too extreme. The question is "do you care"? Yes, I care. If the question were "Is it a disaster/failure/etc if we don't win the lotto" then I would choose the "no" option here. Of course Eichel is good enough. He'd be the best prospect we drafted since uh......... Perrault? At least since Turgeon, considering Turgeon was a pretty big time prospect even if he didn't turn out that great.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Poll options are bad. I care and want McDavid, but I'm still okay with Eichel as the outcome.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm in the boat where finishing 30th takes all the stress out of the lottery.

I'll approach it as Eichel is a Sabre and they might be able to trade if for McDavid if they get lucky.

But, the disappointment of missing the lottery will be only slightly more than last year.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I've been convinced since the beginning that we will never land McDavid. If it happens, it would be an extremely pleasant surprise. I'm focused on Eichel, though, and I've seen him as the realistic prize to all this suffering. I'm perfectly happy with a perennial All-Star center, even if McDavid goes on to have the career of the decade.

If we lock up 30th, I'm having a dance party. If we land McDavid on top of it? That might be worth a week-long bender.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The poll doesn't really give the right set of choices because the wording is too extreme. The question is "do you care"? Yes, I care. If the question were "Is it a disaster/failure/etc if we don't win the lotto" then I would choose the "no" option here. Of course Eichel is good enough. He'd be the best prospect we drafted since uh......... Perrault? At least since Turgeon, considering Turgeon was a pretty big time prospect even if he didn't turn out that great.

The problem with Turgeon is that while he put up points (500+ goals, 1300+ pts) he didn't play with heart and was the 3rd or 4th best player in his draft year.

Personally for this draft, I'm kind of ambivalent in that there's things I like about McDavid and things about Eichel. Certain aspects of their game is favored over the other player's but all in all its a toss-up, and I can honestly see either having the better career over the other.

Also can we have the OP at least learn how to spell Eichel's name, he misspells it in every one of his posts.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The goal of this year was to get a franchise center. The top 2 picks are surefire #1 Centers. This allows Sam Reinhart to feast on lesser competition for the next 15 years. I could care less on which one we get as long as we get one.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I care. I want to win the lottery. Eichel is still good enough though.

As much as I would like to get McDavid....I feel the cost along with Eichel to move up and draft him would set our rebuild back. At a minimum, the price would probably cost Ryan O'Reilly + (meaning the equivalent of what it would cost to get O'Reilly if we were to trade for him) If Eichel weren't in this draft and we were looking at drafting Strome or Hanifin, I would be more enthusiastic about this idea.

Karate Johnson*

I will only be truly happy with McDavid. Eichel is a nice consolation that makes the tank not a complete disaster.

Anything beside McDavid or Eichel is an utter failure and the tank was a waste.

I know Hannafin is really good. We don't need him. We need a bona fide number 1 center and we haven't had one in ages.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I will only be truly happy with McDavid. Eichel is a nice consolation that makes the tank not a complete disaster.

I know Hannafin is really good. We don't need him. We need a bona fide number 1 center and we haven't had one in ages.

:laugh: Eichel is the type of prospect you are lucky to get over a 30 year period.

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ

If Buffalo picks 3rd, they would not choose Hanafin. Strome would be chosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad