Winners and losers of free agent frenzy so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If we're limiting our scope to what happened on July 1st only, I don't see how Montreal is a loser when they signed arguably the most talented forward in the entire free agent class to a 1 year contract when guys like David Backes and Andrew Ladd are getting 5-7 year deals. Nothing on the cap beyond this year for us if it doesn't work out, so where's the risk?

If Ken Holland or Jim Nill signed Radulov to that contract people would be lining up to lick their boots.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If we're limiting our scope to what happened on July 1st only, I don't see how Montreal is a loser when they signed arguably the most talented forward in the entire free agent class to a 1 year contract when guys like David Backes and Andrew Ladd are getting 5-7 year deals. Nothing on the cap beyond this year for us if it doesn't work out, so where's the risk?

If Ken Holland or Jim Nill signed Radulov to that contract people would be lining up to lick their boots.

Therrien is still the coach. So it is a bad signing being that i just can't see Therrien and Radulov working out.

It would be a different story if Therrien was not the coach.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Therrien is still the coach. So it is a bad signing being that i just can't see Therrien and Radulov working out.

It would be a different story if Therrien was not the coach.

I have doubts about it working out too, but what's the alternative? Pass on skill players forever on a hunch that none will work out with Therrien? And then people will criticize Bergevin for not addressing the lack of scoring forwards on the team. Sounds like a no-win situation.

It may not work out at all. But he signed him for 1 year, not 5-7 years. So how does it hurt us going forward if it doesn't work?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I have doubts about it working out too, but what's the alternative? Pass on skill players forever on a hunch that none will work out with Therrien? And then people will criticize Bergevin for not addressing the lack of scoring forwards on the team. Sounds like a no-win situation.

It may not work out at all. But he signed him for 1 year, not 5-7 years. So how does it hurt us going forward if it doesn't work?

Habs are an easy target right now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

The best option would be to fire Therrien, which should have been done the second the season ended.

Hopefully Radulov works out though.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The best option would be to fire Therrien, which should have been done the second the season ended.

Hopefully Radulov works out though.

Well, I'm with you on that one...if you want to call them losers for keeping Therrien, by all means. But losers for the moves they made today, I have a hard time seeing that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Winners:

Hawks
Sharks

also winners:

the teams that didn't shell out ridiculous contracts and either stayed out or addressed things with depth signings.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo is the winner today I like Kyle Okposo I think he is a good fit at thst price with their young core.

I also like what the flames did.

NYI are HUGE losers today yes they got Ladd and that's great

But you can't lose Okposo, Martin and Neilson and come out winners.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Buffalo is the winner today I like Kyle Okposo I think he is a good fit at thst price with their young core.

I also like what the flames did.

NYI are HUGE losers today yes they got Ladd and that's great

But you can't lose Okposo, Martin and Neilson and come out winners.

They signed Ladd to nearly the same contract as Okposo. I still haven't had anyone explain why they didn't just keep Okposo...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I dont know if there are ever any winners in UFA on day 1. The Brian Campbell is by far the best deal.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
very happy the Leafs did not shell out any mammoth contracts. Lou made iit pretty clear in his presser that it looks like we are out of the running for Russel and Demers too because of the price. All I can say is thank god.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad