GDT: Wings vs Caps | 7:30 EST | FSD

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What a dive..that's a joke, Ovechkin dives, and gets the call based on reputation.

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen, and of course he gets the winner.

Reactions: aar000n

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Never seen anyone go so far out of position to barely connect with a useless hip check as Ouellet on the tie goal

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Sh#t call, but they were in no position to half-a$$ the end of the third like they did. Shouldn't have gone to overtime.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He was terrible in OT last season. He would just skate around with the puck in the neutral zone waiting to try to blow by people. He wouldn't pass, just hold and waste time.

Your dislike of athanasiou transcends thread boundaries, where will it end

I'm starting to be worried about opening my email and seeing a list of reasons why AA sucks

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Dive?
Maybe an accidental or incidental trip.
But their skates collided and then Daley swiped his stick across Ovie's skates.

Did you not see the replay? Their skates never touched and Ovechkin cleared Daley's stick.

Ovechkin actually has a reputation for diving/embellishment, I just don't think the league has ever made him (or Crosby) pay for it.

Reactions: avssuc

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
One of my favorite games from Larkin yet. Only mistake of the game was the penalty at the end... Which was a costly one

Reactions: Ezekial
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ovechkin should have been a soccer player.

By calling bs penalties like this, the league is virtually sending the message that if you dive, you get powerplays. The only result from calls like this is more and more diving. Ovechkin is so strong on his skates, yet slight contact makes him go flying? The league is so uptight about slashing and faceoff violations, how about cracking down on ballerinas like Ovechkin?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bummer loss. Wings are losing games they could have/should have easily won. Unluckiest team in the NHL right now.

Not even close, maybe when it comes to timely penalties but I still doubt that. Definetely below average right now though

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Your dislike of athanasiou transcends thread boundaries, where will it end

I'm starting to be worried about opening my email and seeing a list of reasons why AA sucks

It'll end when he either #1 plays hockey like a team sport, not the AA show or #2 when he gets traded. But, if you're going to make naive comments about a player I am going to correct it. AA was trash in OT last season because he tried to do everything on his own. Until he puts the team ahead of himself he shouldn't be anywhere near OT.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
His plant skate doesn't go out until after the swipe of the stick, I've watched the replay 15 times.

Funny how skating works.
You're trying to make a play happen. Your skate gets kicked, knocking you mostly off balance, then the stick comes across your feet.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Did you not see the replay? Their skates never touched and Ovechkin cleared Daley's stick.

Ovechkin actually has a reputation for diving/embellishment, I just don't think the league has ever made him (or Crosby) pay for it.

Yeah, their skates touched.
It was obvious.

My only question would be, on the skates touching, is why Daley doesn't have a right to that space as much as Ovie.

On the reverse angle, it does seem like Dalye got a little scared of being out of position, so, he kind of stuck his leg out a bit, right before he sweeps the stick.

Reverse replay looked a lot worse for Daley.

Ah well.

Lots of good things to like about this game.
Tatar is hot.
Mrazek played well.
Z with another beauty.

The goat, IMO, is Mike Green. Great as he's been, I can count at least 4 goals this year that are a direct result of his screw ups.
That's a lot of goals at this point of the season

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
There may have been enough contact for a penalty call but there's no way Alexander freaking Ovechkin isn't a strong enough skater to stay on his feet there.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I didn't think this was a dive. More like he lost his footing. The refs always give stars a benefit of a doubt. Great shot btw.

I was more pissed with Hands of Stone Helm missing the open net.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah, their skates touched.
It was obvious.

My only question would be, on the skates touching, is why Daley doesn't have a right to that space as much as Ovie.

On the reverse angle, it does seem like Dalye got a little scared of being out of position, so, he kind of stuck his leg out a bit, right before he sweeps the stick.

Reverse replay looked a lot worse for Daley.

Ah well.

Lots of good things to like about this game.
Tatar is hot.
Mrazek played well.
Z with another beauty.

The goat, IMO, is Mike Green. Great as he's been, I can count at least 4 goals this year that are a direct result of his screw ups.
That's a lot of goals at this point of the season

And I can count 10 goals that we a scored as a result of him

Ill take it

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The positives from this game:

Larkin seems to have finally have turned a corner where he is seeing the ice better.
Z is a monster.
Mrazek had a great game. If he can keep this up, he may be able to get back to being a #1
Tatar is playing like a guy who should be paid 5 million a season.
Helm and LGD both looked dangerous at times.

Negatives:
Defense is hot garbage. No stand outs, a lot of dogs that need to put in the dog house.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It'll end when he either #1 plays hockey like a team sport, not the AA show or #2 when he gets traded. But, if you're going to make naive comments about a player I am going to correct it. AA was trash in OT last season because he tried to do everything on his own. Until he puts the team ahead of himself he shouldn't be anywhere near OT.

He's no Pulkkinen. That's for sure.

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
Impartial fan. Watched the game and Mrazek looked great, score didn't indicate his play at all.

I remember watching him a couple of years ago and was convinced he was at least on par with Vasilevski and Gibson, if not better. I didn't watch him much last year but I heard the wheels fell off. Was last year as bad as the stats indicated?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Impartial fan. Watched the game and Mrazek looked great, score didn't indicate his play at all.

I remember watching him a couple of years ago and was convinced he was at least on par with Vasilevski and Gibson, if not better. I didn't watch him much last year but I heard the wheels fell off. Was last year as bad as the stats indicated?
Yes, he was lost. Obviously he showed some flashes at times but was very leaky and played with no confidence a lot of the season.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Yeah.
He started OK.
He had unbelievable bad luck, with Ericsson and Dekeyser deflecting wide shots into the goal.
And once he lost the starting job he had, it snowballed.
December/January were awful.
He was somewhat respectable after the all-star break.

But he's still a potentially very good starter.
The Wings could move him for cap reasons. But I think it's the wrong move.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He's no Pulkkinen. That's for sure.

Pulkks was the opposite, he was a rink rat who was happy to try his best to just make the team. He just doesn't have that split second ability that separates the NHL stars from the AHL stars. It is what it is. And speaking of him, in his first three games in the AHL this season he has 9 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad