Rumor: Wings taking calls on Bertuzzi

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You are not understanding team depth. The wings are loaded with wingers and potential top 6 wingers. Larkin is literally the only top 6 center we have, including prospects.

Outside of Raymond + Vrana, I don't see many other players that are clear top 6 wingers in the future.

Guys like Veleno, Zadina, Hirose, Berggren are decent prospects, but they're far from a blue-chip that you expect to instantly fill the top 6 winger role and haven't proven anything at the NHL level - those are the prospects you hope they turn out, but you don't bank the future on them. Nothing wrong with running a scoring 3rd line during a rebuild if you still need more time to assess what you have. It's just bizarre to me that a PPG, physical winger can't find a way into Detroit's long term plans.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What part of this are you not understanding. Bertuzzi is only under control for 1.5 more years. We are not contending in these 1.5 years. Why keep him around to just come in 9-10 place in the conference and have him leave for nothing? It’s been pretty well known he doesn’t want to sign here long term, and with the way he plays we don’t want to sign him long term either.

Now if you’re a contending team, getting a ~PPG winger who plays physical for $2M for two Cup runs is insanely tempting.

I don’t know how else to explain this to you big guy.

Why would we keep Larkin? Captain, literally grew up a Wings fan his whole life so that’s one hell of a dream. We have zero C to replace him so we can overpay if need be. That’s not something we need to do with Bertuzzi when we have lots of Ws.

Well that news to me, I haven't seen one report that states this, but I also don't follow the team.

The rest makes sense, but I still doubt any team is actually going to view him as a PPG forward based off a career year - somewhere in between a 55-70 pt player is my guess and the price would reflect that. Teams just don't fork over a top prospect + 1st for a player that isn't in their long-term plans, but I imagine it would be very tempting. B prospect + 1st +? Sure.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Outside of Raymond + Vrana, I don't see many other players that are clear top 6 wingers in the future.

Guys like Veleno, Zadina, Hirose, Berggren are decent prospects, but they're far from a blue-chip that you expect to instantly fill the top 6 winger role and haven't proven anything at the NHL level - those are the prospects you hope they turn out, but you don't bank the future on them. Nothing wrong with running a scoring 3rd line during a rebuild if you still need more time to assess what you have. It's just bizarre to me that a PPG, physical winger can't find a way into Detroit's long term plans.

Well, including elmer and nino, we have a fair amount of wing prospects, but our center depth is really bad, far worse. I dont know if this report is true or not, but paying tyler say 8 million a year til his mid thirties is not something the wings should do, I do think most fans want to keep him for now.

Reactions: PAZ

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Well that news to me, I haven't seen one report that states this, but I also don't follow the team.

The rest makes sense, but I still doubt any team is actually going to view him as a PPG forward based off a career year - somewhere in between a 55-70 pt player is my guess and the price would reflect that. Teams just don't fork over a top prospect + 1st for a player that isn't in their long-term plans, but I imagine it would be very tempting. B prospect + 1st +? Sure.

I mean I dont think he will get what mantha got, im still shocked at that. I personally wouldn't trade tyler for anything less than a top center prospect, I love his game and would rather keep him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I mean I dont think he will get what mantha got, im still shocked at that. I personally wouldn't trade tyler for anything less than a top center prospect, I love his game and would rather keep him.

Ya the Mantha trade was a huge fleece, it's just unrealistic expecting to get even more than that IMO.

I guess at this point it depends on what you view as a top center prospect. To me that's a player like Newhook, Turcotte, Mercer, etc. and I still can't see a team paying that for Bertuzzi. B-prospect would be something like Zary, Lapierre, etc. But again, that makes sense if you prefer to keep him.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Ya the Mantha trade was a huge fleece, it's just unrealistic expecting to get even more than that IMO.

I guess at this point it depends on what you view as a top center prospect. To me that's a player like Newhook, Turcotte, Mercer, etc. and I still can't see a team paying that for Bertuzzi. B-prospect would be something like Zary, Lapierre, etc. But again, that makes sense if you prefer to keep him.

I mean I would take a young center trending to top 6, but unless its in the one position we truly need, why bother? If these border issues get cleared up soon and detroit retains half, having him for 2 mil for 2 playoff runs could very nice for a playoff team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yzerman needs to be very careful with this one , not to break team chemistry.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What got Mantha a bit more value was the cost certainty of his contract. He was locked in for several more years. Bert has one more year on his deal but is likely looking at a significant bump. That extra year won't be cheap to trade out of Detroit, though.

The team I'd look at is NYR. They have the cap space now and going forward and could dangle someone like Kaako or Lafreniere, who have draft pedigree but wouldn't be taking a much from their actual roster if they can sell them as main pieces in a deal.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
They aren't because other teams don't put that much value into a player like Bertuzzi, so the team ends up just keeping them. If Bertuzzi was actually a proven PPG player we wouldn't even be having this discussion as he'd been seen as a core piece by Detroit. There is a reason you guys are shopping Bertuzzi and not Larkin.

Maybe I missed something, but the link says taking calls not shopping. And is just speculation.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Hirose? No reasonable Red Wings fan thinks of him as anything more than an elite AHL player at this point. Veleno is a C, not a W and most of us think his upside is a strong 3C. Most of us think Zadina is a middle 6 winger at best at this point. Berggren is absolutely blue chip though and over the past two years he's proved that in the SHL and the AHL. Will it translate? Who knows, but he looks like he has all the makings of a SOLID top 6 winger. Soderblom has more potential than almost everyone you listed there outside of Berggren.. We're definitely not as deep with high end talent at the wing as most on our board believe but right now we have a very good lineup of top 6 wingers when Vrana is healthy with Bert, Vrana, Raymond, Fabbri. We need a line driving 2C and probably an upgrade over Fabbri.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Patently false. There isn’t even an argument to be made in Bertuzzi’s favour here.

There's definitely an argument

Screen-Shot-2022-02-22-at-11.47.35-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-02-22-at-12.13.13-PM.png

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I really don't see anything happening here. If something does happen, IMO, it'll be summer, at the earliest.

With his vax status, can't see anyone offering anything close to what Yzerman would want, and I very much doubt Yzerman trades him for less than his ideal value.

Bert's got another year on his contract, it's not a 'get anything you can for him, ASAP' situation for Yzerman.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’ve watched both mantha and bertuzzi their entire careers and it’s not particularly close. Bertuzzi is better in literlaly every way
Mantha has better speed and shot. Problem is he only uses it when he wants to and he seems to only want to every 5 or so games

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Bertuzzi would be the ideal fit in the leafs top 6. For me personally I'd pay a ton to aquire him. To bad about the vax issue cause I'd love to have him on our team. Would love to see the vax mandates go away.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Based off many comments in this thread, Betuzzi is a very underrated player. That said, due to his vax status I think its likely nobody offers the value to actually make a trade happen.

Shame really, cause he could really garner a haul for detroit under slightly different circumstances.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Rather have Bertuzzi all day than Mantha if you are trying to win a cup. Couldnt dissagree more. Many teams should be in on this guy.

Absolutely not lol. I am a sens fan no dog in this fight but this is a brutal take.
Glad a Sens fan chimed in. I'm a Wings fan who does not want to see Bertuzzi traded, but, for whatever reason I have thought about how good he would look with Ottawa's collection of forwards. A line with he and Tkachuk would drive teams crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad