Wings Standings Tracker: Officially Bottom 5

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Since the standings are going to be particularly important to us this year, I thought we should have a thread to track where we stand vis-a-vis the rest of the league. Usually, a thread like this would focus solely on making the playoffs, but now we get to discuss both sides of the coin: fighting for the playoffs or fighting for the best lottery odds!

After tonight, the Wings are 25th in the entire NHL. In the East, they have been narrowly surpassed by NJ and Toronto and share point totals with Buffalo, but Buffalo has the tie-breaker in ROWs.

In terms of ROWs, the Wings currently rank 29th.

Interestingly, with Vegas in the fold, sitting outside the top 4 isn't a bad place to be - After the top 4 picks, the remaining non-playoff teams actually have increased odds of winning the lottery under the new rules.

Unfortunately, playoff-wise, the situation doesn't look that great. While we have a decent chance of digging ourselves out of 8th place in the division (and 15/16 in the conference), the ROW battle is going to be tough to overcome. We're really going to need to start pulling out some wins in regulation or OT to pick up some ground.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Since the standings are going to be particularly important to us this year, I thought we should have a thread to track where we stand vis-a-vis the rest of the league. Usually, a thread like this would focus solely on making the playoffs, but now we get to discuss both sides of the coin: fighting for the playoffs or fighting for the best lottery odds!

After tonight, the Wings are 25th in the entire NHL. In the East, they have been narrowly surpassed by NJ and Toronto and share point totals with Buffalo, but Buffalo has the tie-breaker in ROWs.

In terms of ROWs, the Wings currently rank 29th.

Interestingly, with Vegas in the fold, sitting outside the top 4 isn't a bad place to be - After the top 4 picks, the remaining non-playoff teams actually have increased odds of winning the lottery under the new rules.

Unfortunately, playoff-wise, the situation doesn't look that great. While we have a decent chance of digging ourselves out of 8th place in the division (and 15/16 in the conference), the ROW battle is going to be tough to overcome. We're really going to need to start pulling out some wins in regulation or OT to pick up some ground.

And what makes this thread different from the other five or six threads where we're already doing that?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
And what makes this thread different from the other five or six threads where we're already doing that?

I don't really see anyone discussing who we need to win or who we need to lose or which match-ups carry a ton of weight for us, but if you want to close this thread, man, go for it.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't really see anyone discussing who we need to win or who we need to lose or which match-ups carry a ton of weight for us, but if you want to close this thread, man, go for it.

If that's what the thread stays, fine, but if it turns into "Fire Holland" or people actively rooting against the team, it'll be closed. We have plenty of other threads for that stuff already.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

This one is an actual thread so we don't derail.

Right now we're steadily at number 5. Quite a ways to go to get to 6 and quite a ways to get until we get 4

So we need to play worse. Or infinitely better to change in the standings

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Time is running out. Teams that made mid-season coaching changes and went on to turn their season around have usually made their change in December at the latest. I'll give us about 5 games and if we don't win at least 3 of them it's game over and time to root for the best pick we can get.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If that's what the thread stays, fine, but if it turns into "Fire Holland" or people actively rooting against the team, it'll be closed. We have plenty of other threads for that stuff already.
Not rooting against the team. Just rooting for the best chance to acquire the elite talent needed to start turning things around.

While anything can happen between now and the draft, at the moment it looks like a tier of 2-3 cream of the crop players, and then a drop-off. I just want Detroit to get as many ping pong balls as they can, to maximize their chances (in all the rounds, for that matter).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Hey, I'm on board with that.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I honestly enjoy watching the Leafs play and it's due entirely to Auston Matthews. He's ****ing great. It'd be so great to once again see a player of that caliber in a Red Wings jersey.

Is anyone in this draft even really close to him though?

Either way, hopefully we end up in the top 3. Liljegren would be nice...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Nope. Or at least no one is going to step into the league next year and doing what he's doing.

Someone may catch on later in a big way like Scheifele, Galchenyuk, etc. That is more of what I would expect from a player from this draft class. I believe Bob Mac said over the summer the top players in this draft would have went in the 5-10 range in last year's draft class.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Nope. Or at least no one is going to step into the league next year and doing what he's doing.

Someone may catch on later in a big way like Scheifele, Galchenyuk, etc. That is more of what I would expect from a player from this draft class. I believe Bob Mac said over the summer the top players in this draft would have went in the 5-10 range in last year's draft class.

So on the downside it probably won't help us that much immediately.

On the upside we could still end up with a solid piece in a few years time but still suck enough next year to potentially get a top pick again. That's probably fine, we need a couple top 10 picks at the very least (definitely a top 2 D and ideally another forward) coupled with some good trades or signings. We also have some contracts that need to expire before we can get anywhere regardless so might as well get the picks while we can.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk

I'm okay with that!

Just means we get another good pick next year :popcorn:

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I'm okay with that!

Just means we get another good pick next year :popcorn:

Best case scenario I think we get Liljegren this year and then get another top 5-10 next year and evaluate our needs. This year looks pretty mediocre for forwards so we might as well wait for next year if we can because we have enough decent-good forwards, we need top end talent. Doesn't seem to be any #1Cs or even top line wingers in this years draft.

Hopefully we make some changes in the offseason. Explore options for anyone not named Larkin, Mrazek, AA or Mantha and hopefully get rid of somoen via expansion draft. Best case scenario we can be smart with what we have and get some good picks and be in a good spot when some of our guys retire and we have more cap room. Not like we're winning a cup in the next few years with the old guys we have taking up the money that they are..

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Either way, hopefully we end up in the top 3. Liljegren would be nice...

Oh we need defense in the worst way. Also love watching Laine play! It was more about having at least one truly elite player on our team. So I think defense would be the way to go if we can lock down a top 5 pick this year.

Best case scenario I think we get Liljegren this year and then get another top 5-10 next year and evaluate our needs. This year looks pretty mediocre for forwards so we might as well wait for next year if we can because we have enough decent-good forwards, we need top end talent. Doesn't seem to be any #1Cs or even top line wingers in this years draft.

Exactly! He seems like just the type of player we need.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So on the downside it probably won't help us that much immediately.

On the upside we could still end up with a solid piece in a few years time but still suck enough next year to potentially get a top pick again. That's probably fine, we need a couple top 10 picks at the very least (definitely a top 2 D and ideally another forward) coupled with some good trades or signings. We also have some contracts that need to expire before we can get anywhere regardless so might as well get the picks while we can.

Correct. Which is why I wouldn't necessarily expect a 1 year dip, but more likely at least a 2 year dip.

If we play our cards right we could maybe come out of a 2 year dip with a new core and gear up back towards being a playoff bubble team, but one that is trending upwards as opposed to downwards.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
2017 is a Center draft at TOP10.
2018 is better for defencemen.

Liljegren seems to be the exception to that though. Seems to be far and away the best D in this draft and top 3 discussion. So we could grab him. This is definitely a center draft but it doesn't seem to be a top end center draft...lots of 2Cs. We already have Larkin and Svechnikov...

Obviously if we can't land Liljegren that's what we'll end up with though. There's also some strong wingers though, so maybe go that direction...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2017 is a Center draft at TOP10.
2018 is better for defencemen.

I don't expect 9 of the first 10 picks to be forwards like most of the rankings suggest. Some of these defenseman are going to rise over the next 5-6 months.

Foote will go high because someone will fall in love with the size/tools and pedigree. Similar story with Hague. Valimaki is over a PPG and trending upwards. Heiskanen could jump a lot with a good WJC.

The ratings are going to change a bunch.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Correct. Which is why I wouldn't necessarily expect a 1 year dip, but more likely at least a 2 year dip.

If we play our cards right we could maybe come out of a 2 year dip with a new core and gear up back towards being a playoff bubble team, but one that is trending upwards as opposed to downwards.

For sure.

As bad as this team looks right now, we're in an okay position to be back in it 3-4 years down the road. Of course that all depends on management finally accepting this and making the right decisions.

We have Larkin, Mrazek, Svech, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, Dekeyser. You add two top 10 picks to that group and it's a solid young core to build around.

Trade Vanek at the deadline for a pick.
Trade Tatar/Nyquist/Sheahan+ (or both) ideally in a package for a mid pairing D.
Try and get rid of Howard or Ericsson somehow.

Make a couple good signings with the money we'll get from Kronner/Z with the allure of that decent young core + new arena.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Also, we need to draft someone who's a top 2 lock on D cause lord knows we can't develop them.

If we draft Foote he will end up being another Ericsson. I guarantee it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad