Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Svechnikov to ELC

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
With that size and those hands, kid has a chance to be a real player. One more season in junior, another in the AHL, might be a real discussion about making the big club.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What little I saw of him in preseason looked very encouraging. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a big impression in camp next year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Love that he's being groomed as a center and can play the North American game. What I wouldn't give to have him reach his potential and end up with our own version of Getzlaf-Kesler in Svech-Larkin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So happy we hopped back on board with drafting Russians early. Pretty excited for this kid.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So happy we hopped back on board with drafting Russians early. Pretty excited for this kid.

My thoughts exactly. Never in a million years did I expect the Wings to take him given his passport. I am super happy that Holland got out of his comfort zone (whether pushed by Wright or not) and grabbed Svechnikov.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
My thoughts exactly. Never in a million years did I expect the Wings to take him given his passport. I am super happy that Holland got out of his comfort zone (whether pushed by Wright or not) and grabbed Svechnikov.

Meh, if he was playing Russia it'd be different, but truth is he drafted a guy playing in Canada.

That said, I'm ecstatic with this pick and I think he'll turn into what we wanted Mantha to be.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, Svechnikov is a rough and occasionally dirty guy. He's not quite a power forward, but he has that Franzen style quality where he knows he's big enough that nobody will really be able to make him pay, and so he does dirty stuff from time to time. He had 70 PIM in 55 games last year, so he's not backing down from anybody.

This time it was just brainless, though. Pretty much a non-hockey play.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Meh, if he was playing Russia it'd be different, but truth is he drafted a guy playing in Canada.

That said, I'm ecstatic with this pick and I think he'll turn into what we wanted Mantha to be.
Mantha could still turn into what we wanted Mantha to be.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Guy will get ELC signing bonus earlier. The money really will help living during junior years.

Plus, if we start to tank and his value goes up even more, we already have him signed and he won't be able to leave via free agency as we've seen before with big named players.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glad he signed, disgusted by that hit last night though, so he should have plenty of free time for the next several weeks. That is the Kris Draper angle towards the dasher that the player just barely missed, lucky that didn't go a lot worse.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
svech has been suspended before, guy does play on the edge a bit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Plus, if we start to tank and his value goes up even more, we already have him signed and he won't be able to leave via free agency as we've seen before with big named players.

What free agency? he's UFA earliest when he turns 27. Guy was drafted from ChL, not from College if you meant those young free agents.

And "if we start to tank"? What is that? Something to eat? :laugh:

I don't know that term when discussing about Detroit Red Wings hockey. ;)

svech has been suspended before, guy does play on the edge a bit

What comes to those player comparisons, Svechnikov is the "ryan kesler" in making. Physical all-around (two-way) scoring forward.

I don't understand at all when Kesler name was mentioned in Larkin comparisons.

Put Svechnikov, Bertuzzi and some other pest together in the future to have the skill-pest-line straight from hell. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad