Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Sorry by Detroit I meant signing his contract with Detroit not playing for the Wings. He would 100% be in GR as the starter. Goalies almost never go directly to the NHL, and with him going to the college route I think Augustine is going to have to get used to the schedule of a pro league. He's going from 35 games to 50ish if he is a starter. Whether he comes out of college after his Soph or Junior year may be TBD but either way I think with where Cossa is at he should have a good shot at getting the starter job at the AHL and would not need to go to the ECHL unless its a development thing (like Cossa did).

I know some are eager to have Cossa potentially join the team next year, and games played is one of the reasons I am against it even if he has a good camp. Cossa needs to show he can carry a 50 game load at the AHL level, because he likely will start as a backup in Detroit.
Ya cossa needs 1 more year to dominate the ahl

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Denver vs Boston at 5:00 tonight (Buium)

Then Michigan vs Boston College at 8:30

ESPN2/ESPN+

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nothing wrong with playing in the echl a season. All depends how long he stays in ncaa . I cant imagine Augustine as a 20 year old goalie turning 21 being the starter in grand Rapids

At that point hes much better off playing a bunch of games in the echl for a season. There is no blue print,each player has they're own path. If Augustine chooses to stay 2 other seasons in ncaa and then grand rapids so be it . If it's the other route so be it

As for bednar as someone mentioned hes still wings property till the summer. Who knows if hed want to resign seeing the competition but if hes willing to theres zero harm having 4 19-22 year old goalies in the pipeline

Much rather have bednar back than some 26 year old no name

I've never heard of a college player leaving to play in the ECHL. If that's the option, he'll stay in college until he graduates. At that point, he'll be UFA, and will sign with whichever team guarantees him a spot in the AHL. There's zero incentive for a college player to sign a contract to play in the ECHL. In his particular case, he's probably very comfortable playing at State since he grew up down I96 in South Lyon.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's the likelihood that Mathurin gets signed by the Wings and turns pro after this year? Is there room for him in the organization or is there a logjam at LD?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I've never heard of a college player leaving to play in the ECHL. If that's the option, he'll stay in college until he graduates. At that point, he'll be UFA, and will sign with whichever team guarantees him a spot in the AHL. There's zero incentive for a college player to sign a contract to play in the ECHL. In his particular case, he's probably very comfortable playing at State since he grew up down I96 in South Lyon.
I'd be shocked if he plays ncaa and leaves as a ufa. I said either he plays 2 more ncaa Years and then joins grand rapids or he does 1 and 1. Makes no sense to join g.r as a backup

Wouldnt make him any less of a prospect of he played an echl season .Anyways we'll see what happens

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Just for fun, if you're watching, play a drinking game: you have to chug whatever is left of your beer every time Colby Cohen mentions the goddam national title he won in 2009.
Just for fun, if you're watching, play a drinking game: you have to chug whatever is left of your beer every time Colby Cohen mentions the goddam national title he won in 2009.
I'll be at work so I can't play, but that might be dangerous!!!

Reactions: RabidBadger

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
What's the likelihood that Mathurin gets signed by the Wings and turns pro after this year? Is there room for him in the organization or is there a logjam at LD?
Probably slim, i think they rather sign Buium. Then there is starting to be a logjam, Wallinder, Buium, Viro on the left. Tuomisto, Rafferty on the right side and i would believe that GR re-signs Didier, since he's the captain. 1 spot is open but addition to Mathurin, Cooper Moore played a good season in college and Michigan-native Jacob Truscott isn't signing with the Nucks. Maybe GR signs Mathurin as 8th D, splits the next season between GR and Toledo.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
Probably slim, i think they rather sign Buium. Then there is starting to be a logjam, Wallinder, Buium, Viro on the left. Tuomisto, Rafferty on the right side and i would believe that GR re-signs Didier, since he's the captain. 1 spot is open but addition to Mathurin, Cooper Moore played a good season in college and Michigan-native Jacob Truscott isn't signing with the Nucks. Maybe GR signs Mathurin as 8th D, splits the next season between GR and Toledo.
Truscott was coached by Draper for along time just like Mazur so I could definitely see that as a possibility for them signing him

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder if it's possible for a team to throw the Wings a forward prospect or a late pick for his rights.

Due to injuries in the past and the missed development time, I fully expected him to play out his OA season in the OHL. But watching him in these playoffs, I would be very surprised if a team didn't feel inclined to step up and offer him an ELC. He's playing very competent defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: SantosHalper

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Shai Buium wins a second title. Sign him!

As an aside, I loved seeing prick boy Cutter Gauthier lose after saying he was going to score a couple goals and there would be a lot of tears on the other (Denver's) side. Hopefully he goes into his pro career with a little humility now.
Zadina 2.0

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sounds like the Traverse City prospect tourney is all but dead. Only Dallas is coming up this year, to play a couple games against Detroit. All good things must come to an end, but kinda sad.

I went to two of the tournaments over the years, back when it was 8 teams. I didn’t quite appreciate back then that it was the golden age of the tournament. Was pretty cool to see the number of big time hockey names around. Was a blast to see so many all in one place. Somewhere I still have programs filled with signatures, and all my amateur scouting notes from the practices and games :laugh:

“Probably not the time to announce it, but the reality is us and Dallas are going to play two games,” Yzerman said. “Things are changing, evolving in the offseason, development camps, rookie tournaments. Teams are doing different things. We’re gonna go up with our rookies and we’re gonna meet Dallas there and play two games.”
Red Wings’ Traverse City Rookie Tournament Down to Two Teams

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sounds like the Traverse City prospect tourney is all but dead. Only Dallas is coming up this year, to play a couple games against Detroit. All good things must come to an end, but kinda sad.

I went to two of the tournaments over the years, back when it was 8 teams. I didn’t quite appreciate back then that it was the golden age of the tournament. Was pretty cool to see the number of big time hockey names around. Was a blast to see so many all in one place. Somewhere I still have programs filled with signatures, and all my amateur scouting notes from the practices and games :laugh:

Sad, but 2 games is still fine, not like the actual tournament nature of it mattered that much.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Oh what the hell.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad