Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
See I actually see it as most of our legit prospects having pretty good years. Anyone after round 3 I basically take with a grain of salt because 90% of them won't make the NHL.

2nd round picks should be a bit better than they have been but overall most of the Wings "Legit" prospects have had decent or above average years. We just aren't getting a ton of home run late round picks doing well.

YearRd.OverallPlayerPosMy Take
202319Nate DanielsonCSolid season post trade. Looking like a 2 way force at center.
2023117Axel Sandin PellikkaDRecord breaking season prior to injury. Still looking solid.
2023241Trey AugustineGFantastic year at MSU and the WJC
2023242Andrew GibsonDSeemingly putting up good number for a Dman
2023247Brady ClevelandDDisappointing year
2023373Noah Dower NilssonLWDisappointing year- mostly injured
20237201Emmitt FinnieCDoing very well for a 7th round pick
202218Marco KasperCHas rebounded nicely after slow start/ return from injury in GR
2022240Dylan JamesLWDisappointing year especially since he was an overage pick
2022252Dmitri BuchelnikovLW.5pts per game in what was really his first KHL season. Looking very solid
20224105Anton JohanssonDSolid rookie season in the KHL
20224113Amadeus LombardiCSolid if unremarkable season in GR. Hoped for a bit more prod but he may need to develop a bit more physically first.
202116Simon EdvinssonDSolid AHL season. Should be in the NHL.
2021115Sebastian CossaGExcellent split start year. Doing better as the year progresses
2021236Shai BuiumDExcellent season in the NCAA. I have concerns about the Wings getting him to sign.
2021370Carter MazurLWSlow start but much like Kasper has come on well in the 2nd half
20214114Redmond SavageCSolid year at MSU.
202014Lucas RaymondLWBudding star at the NHL level
2020232William WallinderDSolid rookie year in the AHL. Long term project, developing well
2020251Theodor NiederbachCDisappointment overall, BUST
2020255Cross HanasLWBit of a disappointment this year vs last. Probable AHLer, but may go bottom 6
2020363Donovan SebrangoDUseful trade fodder
2020370Eemil ViroDLooking solid if unspectacular in the AHL per reports
201916Moritz SeiderDNHL top 20 dman
2019235Antti TuomistoDReally coming along in GR this year. May have just been a slow developer.
2019254Robert MastrosimoneLWBust/ Traded
2019260Albert JohanssonDNHL ready, probably more of a bottom pair guy in the long term
2019366Albin GreweRWBust
20196159Elmer SoderblomRWThrew him on here since he still has potential, but looking less like an Nhler

Unfortunately, I agree on Soderblom.

Why do you say Shai Buium won't sign?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
He had 6 points in his 1st 20 which I don't think is completely insane considering he was coming off a major injury and was adjusting to the NA game.

21 points in his last 36 games is a pretty good pace. Kasper is going to take a bit of time to develop offensively. You can see the skill in his game, but it hasn't quite come together yet. With that said I think he's more in that 50-65 point range during his prime NHL years, but does everything else incredibly well. Danielson is our hope for another 70+ point center I think.

agree with all of that.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Unfortunately, I agree on Soderblom.

Havent given up on soderblom ... I've had concerns with buium for a while now these college kids always scare me ... not worried about augustine or savage since their both playing in michigan but if we don't sign buium by this summer I'd be throwing him in a deal for a good young prospect

Reactions: heyfolks

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
See I actually see it as most of our legit prospects having pretty good years. Anyone after round 3 I basically take with a grain of salt because 90% of them won't make the NHL.

2nd round picks should be a bit better than they have been but overall most of the Wings "Legit" prospects have had decent or above average years. We just aren't getting a ton of home run late round picks doing well.

YearRd.OverallPlayerPosMy Take
202319Nate DanielsonCSolid season post trade. Looking like a 2 way force at center.
2023117Axel Sandin PellikkaDRecord breaking season prior to injury. Still looking solid.
2023241Trey AugustineGFantastic year at MSU and the WJC
2023242Andrew GibsonDSeemingly putting up good number for a Dman
2023247Brady ClevelandDDisappointing year
2023373Noah Dower NilssonLWDisappointing year- mostly injured
20237201Emmitt FinnieCDoing very well for a 7th round pick
202218Marco KasperCHas rebounded nicely after slow start/ return from injury in GR
2022240Dylan JamesLWDisappointing year especially since he was an overage pick
2022252Dmitri BuchelnikovLW.5pts per game in what was really his first KHL season. Looking very solid
20224105Anton JohanssonDSolid rookie season in the KHL
20224113Amadeus LombardiCSolid if unremarkable season in GR. Hoped for a bit more prod but he may need to develop a bit more physically first.
202116Simon EdvinssonDSolid AHL season. Should be in the NHL.
2021115Sebastian CossaGExcellent split start year. Doing better as the year progresses
2021236Shai BuiumDExcellent season in the NCAA. I have concerns about the Wings getting him to sign.
2021370Carter MazurLWSlow start but much like Kasper has come on well in the 2nd half
20214114Redmond SavageCSolid year at MSU.
202014Lucas RaymondLWBudding star at the NHL level
2020232William WallinderDSolid rookie year in the AHL. Long term project, developing well
2020251Theodor NiederbachCDisappointment overall, BUST
2020255Cross HanasLWBit of a disappointment this year vs last. Probable AHLer, but may go bottom 6
2020363Donovan SebrangoDUseful trade fodder
2020370Eemil ViroDLooking solid if unspectacular in the AHL per reports
201916Moritz SeiderDNHL top 20 dman
2019235Antti TuomistoDReally coming along in GR this year. May have just been a slow developer.
2019254Robert MastrosimoneLWBust/ Traded
2019260Albert JohanssonDNHL ready, probably more of a bottom pair guy in the long term
2019366Albin GreweRWBust
20196159Elmer SoderblomRWThrew him on here since he still has potential, but looking less like an Nhler

I was commenting more specifically on the previous list of prospects posted. The ones that are concerning to me are the wasted 2nd round picks on James, Cleveland, Mastrosimone, potentially Hanas, Niederbach, McIsaac. The 3rd and later picks are what they are; low probability to even get a cup of coffee. You still want to see some improvement, though.

Outside of Hanas and Soderblom I don't think any of our kids in Grand Rapids have been disappointing. And the ones we really needed improvement from have turned on the jets in the second half of the season. Mazur and Kasper have looked incredible, and at minimum I can see them as very successful third liners. Tuomisto's skating is still not great but I don't see it as worse than Holl. Johansson has the makings of a smaller guy that could punch above his weight class. Edvinsson makes me think there's a range of outcomes but I can't see him being worse than a #3. And Cossa has shown he is not a SeBUSTian.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He had 6 points in his 1st 20 which I don't think is completely insane considering he was coming off a major injury and was adjusting to the NA game.

21 points in his last 36 games is a pretty good pace. Kasper is going to take a bit of time to develop offensively. You can see the skill in his game, but it hasn't quite come together yet. With that said I think he's more in that 50-65 point range during his prime NHL years, but does everything else incredibly well. Danielson is our hope for another 70+ point center I think.

And that's what we reasonably expected of Kasper anyway. For reference, Ryan O'Reilly has averaged about 58 points a season in his career. Ryan Kesler averaged 51 per year in his career. Phillip Danault is averaging 48 per year after his rookie season. Sean Coutourier is averaging 52 points per 82 in his career despite only playing in a scoring role his last 6 years. These are the kinds of players we want Kasper looking at as role models whose skill level on the ice is attainable for him.

The offense won't come right away, and he probably won't get more than 14 minutes a night for 2 or 3 years in the NHL. The skill is there, though. That's the important thing.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Havent given up on soderblom ... I've had concerns with buium for a while now these college kids always scare me ... not worried about augustine or savage since their both playing in michigan but if we don't sign buium by this summer I'd be throwing him in a deal for a good young prospect
20 years old Dekeyzer had 17 points in 42 games, Buium pretty much point per game and one of the biggest shooter on the team

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
20 years old Dekeyzer had 17 points in 42 games, Buium pretty much point per game and one of the biggest shooter on the team

Hes played good and id sign him I just have a bad feeling he'll refuse and test free agency which is why if he refuses to sign in the off season I'b be looking to move him in a deal

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was commenting more specifically on the previous list of prospects posted. The ones that are concerning to me are the wasted 2nd round picks on James, Cleveland, Mastrosimone, potentially Hanas, Niederbach, McIsaac. The 3rd and later picks are what they are; low probability to even get a cup of coffee. You still want to see some improvement, though.
Eh. I had 0 issue with drafting Mastrosimone, Niederbach, or McIsaac in the 2nd at the time. The process there was fine, just didn't get the results.

I would not lump those in with drafting Brady Cleveland in the 2nd.

Reactions: Konnan511

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Solid is being extremely generous. Kasper in his D+2 year in the AHL being under .5 ppg is underwhelming, and I'm a huge Kasper fan. Danielson hasn't been as dominant as an 2004 as you would have liked also. ASP and Augustine have been great but other than that, there isn't much to get excited about. It's hard to trust the judgement of your scouting department who chose Brady Cleveland in the 2nd round.
I am not sure what exactly you were expecting here. He was slow to get going but you don't see a ton of guys from his class destroying the AHL apart from Kulich (I don't know how much center he has actually played in the AHL) and Kemell. Hell, I am not sure those two are even destroying it. I personally see it as a developmentally appropriate but not dominate season. He has, however, looked really good the last dozen or so games.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sorry man, but Soderblom's ship has sailed. The kid hardly has a pulse at this point. It is very difficult to watch him these days.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry man, but Soderblom's ship has sailed. The kid hardly has a pulse at this point. It is very difficult to watch him these days.
I had long thought that about Rasmussen, but the giraffe keeps having ups and downs.

It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't pan out. But I tend to be willing to wait longer on players that size.

Reactions: lilidk

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I tend to agree with @19 for president.
Buium will be a very difficult signing for the Red Wings.

Put yourself in his shoes. He knows full well he will be berried in Grand Rapids next year if he signs here. There is no lie Yzerman can tell this kid to fool him into thinking otherwise.

Why wouldn’t he play one more year of college hockey with his brother instead? He is then free to listen to offers from every single team in the league.

Maybe some team/s step up with realistic NHL promises to entice him to sign. Maybe he just wants to sign with the team that drafts his brother? Maybe he has a strong desire to stay out West?

Many different possibilities open up for him in 1 years time. (It would also allow him to graduate with his class)

Last edited:
Reactions: heyfolks

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I don't disagree with your premise. But it's also hilarious to picture the Gryphons hazing the new guys by pelting them with berries.
I definitely butchered ‘buried’ here. Ha
But You also randomly changed the team name ‘Griffins’.

OIP.K0Npx4FqBvwM66tA4lKEpQHaHa

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I am not sure what exactly you were expecting here. He was slow to get going but you don't see a ton of guys from his class destroying the AHL apart from Kulich (I don't know how much center he has actually played in the AHL) and Kemell. Hell, I am not sure those two are even destroying it. I personally see it as a developmentally appropriate but not dominate season. He has, however, looked really good the last dozen or so games.
I was hoping for the Red Wings to draft him, I envisioned him being a Ryan Kesler style top 6 center. After watching him this year, he doesn't have the offense to be a top 6 center on a contending team. Not a bad player by any means, but I thought he'd have a lot more offense to his game. Playing 3rd line minutes and having 7 primary assists on the year so far just isn't exciting for a top 10 pick.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I was hoping for the Red Wings to draft him, I envisioned him being a Ryan Kesler style top 6 center. After watching him this year, he doesn't have the offense to be a top 6 center on a contending team. Not a bad player by any means, but I thought he'd have a lot more offense to his game. Playing 3rd line minutes and having 7 primary assists on the year so far just isn't exciting for a top 10 pick.
I don't think Kasper has what it takes to be an everyday 2c in the course of his career, but I envision Danielson in that role. I see Kasper as an agitating winger who can chip in 15-20 goals on the second and third line, do spot C duty, eat up minutes on the PK, and cover on the PP when needed. The kind of versatile player you want in the middle of a contending roster. He will be a clear upgrade on the roster over a guy like Sprong. That's a pretty good get at 9OA.

If neither Danielson or Kasper end up being a 2c you are likely going to see one of Edvinsson or ASP traded in the next few years in a package for a legit scoring center. Otherwise the team is going to founder.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think Kasper has what it takes to be an everyday 2c in the course of his career, but I envision Danielson in that role. I see Kasper as an agitating winger who can chip in 15-20 goals on the second and third line, do spot C duty, eat up minutes on the PK, and cover on the PP when needed. The kind of versatile player you want in the middle of a contending roster. He will be a clear upgrade on the roster over a guy like Sprong. That's a pretty good get at 9OA.

If neither Danielson or Kasper end up being a 2c you are likely going to see one of Edvinsson or ASP traded in the next few years in a package for a legit scoring center. Otherwise the team is going to founder.
This seems like the most likely outcome I agree.

Also does anyone here keep up with the KHL?

I’ve always been intrigued with the scouting report of Buchelnikov. Seems like one of the very few boom or bust prospects we have.

His numbers seem fairly decent this season? Is there some real potential there? When can we expect him in the AHL/NHL?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
This seems like the most likely outcome I agree.

Also does anyone here keep up with the KHL?

I’ve always been intrigued with the scouting report of Buchelnikov. Seems like one of the very few boom or bust prospects we have.

His numbers seem fairly decent this season? Is there some real potential there? When can we expect him in the AHL/NHL?

I'm definitely not going to claim to be an expert in the KHL, but from what I've gathered, he had a very solid year and took a step up. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic on him?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

I agree with your description of him, which for me is a disappointment in where Detroit is in the rebuild. The last thing we need is more middle six checking centers who will "chip in" on offense. Thats exactly what Kasper and Danielson look to be. Not only is it boring to watch, this team needs offensive talent in the worst way.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I agree with your description of him, which for me is a disappointment in where Detroit is in the rebuild. The last thing we need is more middle six checking centers who will "chip in" on offense. Thats exactly what Kasper and Danielson look to be. Not only is it boring to watch, this team needs offensive talent in the worst way.

I have a higher expectation of Danielson and I think his game is going to translate extremely well to the pro game. We'll see though.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm not classing Danielson as a middle six guy. He's going to be a very good 2c. I think he'll be a 70-80p guy on the second line.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Idk man this team could really use a fast agitator version of Andrew Copp. Not sure we do have one of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad