Wings Playoff Contenders Still

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Currently 14th in G/G, can probably work ourselves into the top10 if healthy. Currently 16th in GA/G, Howard will probably do a little better down the stretch but all in all I see us as a mid pack team defensively. As a comparison we were 7th in both categories last season, which I think fairly reflects our worse D corp and injury struggles up front thus far. Mid pick defense and above average offense pretty much spells 1st round exit in a normal year.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Uhhh... making it work? We've played a ton of games at home already, have played more games than most teams, and are still just inside the playoffs.

This team is a bubble team at best.

Look at the conference standings. Which team, besides Chciago, is not a bubble team? I don't get it. Every team is in the playoff race and is a bubble team. You act like we are Columbus or something and that it would be a miracle if we made the playoffs. The fact that we are playing this well with as many injuries as we have is impressive. When we get our players back (if) the sky is the limit. Until then, I guess 4th in the West isn't that bad.

Attachments

• wingsconference.jpg
    wingsconference.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 10

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
They are a playoff team in my opinion and probably decent when healthy in terms of a punchers chance in the first and second round if things break right. This team would have 3 or 4 more points if Babcock wasn't the coach right now in my opinion. He just isn't making the adjustments you expect out of a big time coach. I do like the compete level quite a bit, the Wings are still a very hard working team outside of a couple of eggs. I cannot fault the effort, even of guys like Cleary and Quincey that anger me quite a bit watching. Each guy is giving a lot of effort in my opinion. They realize they have to and that part makes me happy as a fan.

That is a mind blowing opinion. Babcock is keeping this team afloat right now.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You realize that MacDonald has started the past seven games for the Calgary Flames...

lol

I totally forgot he got picked up. Was thinking he was in GR. Anyway, that just hammers the point about Mrazek home further. He's our #3, one of only 3 NHL-capable goaltenders. No way we can trade him right now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There are maybe, MAYBE, 5 teams that are not playoff contenders. And as long as there is a salary cap in place, this type of parity will exist. Calling the Wings a "playoff contender" means next to nothing at this point.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
This team has little to no talent, that's not Babcock's fault. If firing Babcock would help the team, great. But even with Scotty Bowman, this team doesn't have any talent.

What are you talking about? Do you really think that? You think this team is talentless?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Don't know what team you are watching, JMan, but these Red Wings are nowhere near the Hawks or the Ducks.

Next to the NCAA Basketball Tournament, The Stanley Cup Playoffs are a complete crapshoot.

I'm not sold this team will 100% make the playoffs. But if they miss out, it won't be by much.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Don't know what team you are watching, JMan, but these Red Wings are nowhere near the Hawks or the Ducks.

I'm not sure what team you're watching, but the one I'm watching should have beaten the Hawks, and should have beaten the Ducks if it wasn't for a rash of brain fart turnovers.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'm not sure what team you're watching, but the one I'm watching should have beaten the Hawks, and should have beaten the Ducks if it wasn't for a rash of brain fart turnovers.

The same brain fart turnovers that are indicative of a team that's under .500, right? Turnovers are part of the game- good teams don't commit a ton of turnovers that end up in the back of their net, while average to below average teams do.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

These brain farts happen every night. The team is mediocre and not on the same level as the Chicago Blackhawks.

Team defense has been abysmal. A team that loses 2-1 can still have bad defense. Last year against the Preds, the Wings lost most of their games in very low scoring affairs, but the Wings gave up much easier scoring opportunities compared to the Preds. This year is more of the same.

You aren't looking at this team objectively if you think they are just as good as the Hawks or on the same level.

Last years team was better than this years team and they got absolutely schooled by the Preds in the first round.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Look at the conference standings. Which team, besides Chciago, is not a bubble team? I don't get it. Every team is in the playoff race and is a bubble team. You act like we are Columbus or something and that it would be a miracle if we made the playoffs. The fact that we are playing this well with as many injuries as we have is impressive. When we get our players back (if) the sky is the limit. Until then, I guess 4th in the West isn't that bad.

We are one. ONE. OOOONNNNNEEEE point ahead of LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, San Jose.

We have played 2 or 3 more games than all those teams. If we had the same number of games played, LA, SJ, STL, would all be ahead of us in my opinion. We'd be in the 7-8 spot or even further out looking in.

Chicago and Anaheim are solidly in. Vancouver, barring an epic meltdown, is solidly in. The are ahead of us in points with 2 games in hand. St. Louis, SJ, LA, I think are locks to make the playoffs. They are solidly built teams with games in hand. That leaves only 2 spots. I think we take one, but as a bubble team.

You optimistic people simply have no idea how to read these numbers in front of you. Yes, we're #4. But we have played more games than pretty much anyone in the conference. Only 2 other teams out of 15 have played the same number of games as us. No one else has played more. Most of them have 2-3 games in hand.

Sitting in #4, only 1 point up, when all the other teams have plenty of games to make it up on us? That makes us the very definition of a fringe team.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The same brain fart turnovers that are indicative of a team that's under .500, right? Turnovers are part of the game- good teams don't commit a ton of turnovers that end up in the back of their net, while average to below average teams do.

And those are the same brain fart turnovers that the Wings in the last several games have cut down on big time. They now have a GAA in regulation of 1.25 in the last several games.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
We are one. ONE. OOOONNNNNEEEE point ahead of LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, San Jose.

We have played 2 or 3 more games than all those teams. If we had the same number of games played, LA, SJ, STL, would all be ahead of us in my opinion. We'd be in the 7-8 spot or even further out looking in.

Chicago and Anaheim are solidly in. Vancouver, barring an epic meltdown, is solidly in. The are ahead of us in points with 2 games in hand. St. Louis, SJ, LA, I think are locks to make the playoffs. They are solidly built teams with games in hand. That leaves only 2 spots. I think we take one, but as a bubble team.

You optimistic people simply have no idea how to read these numbers in front of you. Yes, we're #4. But we have played more games than pretty much anyone in the conference. Only 2 other teams out of 15 have played the same number of games as us. No one else has played more. Most of them have 2-3 games in hand.

Sitting in #4, only 1 point up, when all the other teams have plenty of games to make it up on us? That makes us the very definition of a fringe team.

Vancouver is two points away from 9th place with 29 games to go, they are not "solidly in." The point still stands: statistically, if we are a bubble team, then so are 11 other teams in the conference, which makes the term "fringe team" pretty meaningless.

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
Mrazek is going to be our SAVIOR.
I can see him competing with Howie for a number 1 spot. I mean look at the guys stars in the AHL and he had a shutout his first NHL game. Not to mention in the AHL allstar game he stopped every shootout attempt.
Oulette will lead our defense I am sure of it as he looked very strong in the U20 tournament
Finally, Tatar and Brunner will take over for offense I wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist traded.. And to the man who said Franzen is worth somethig. No. So lazy and just such a lack of skill. God I hate Franzen.

I'm pretty high on Mrazek as well and I don't know if that's a typo but he didn't get a shutout in his first NHL game. It was against the Blues and the only goal he let in was when we were short handed and Petriangelo jammed one in back door. He really had no chance on it but I still believe he played a great game overall and turned a few heads. He's the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad