Line Combos: Wings Lineup Late '80s-Present

RockemSockemProberts

Stevie's home!
Jul 5, 2012
Oradea, Rom/GR, MI
This thread got me thinking about the "good old days": http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1725719

(And, yes, this is an "I'm bored during the off season" thread).

So here's my Yzerman/Hockeytown era-to-present line-up. It's made up of players who I see as the career Red Wings (or who had the best part of their career in Detroit) over the past 25-30 years. I know a few of these are debatable, so I'm curious to see how others tweak my line up.

Shanahan Yzerman Probert (Nobody's messing with Stevie, and this line has a lot of offensive punch too)
Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom (Eurotwins plus what Abby can't be)
Kozlov Larionov Fedorov (Did you see the video in the thread above)
Maltby Draper McCarty (Best 4th line in history)
Franzen Cleary (Good players... sometimes)

Lidstrom Murphy (Not much to say here except "Two Cups, wow!")
Chelios Kronwall (Ouch)
Fetisov Konstantinov (See above)
Rafalski (Nice 7th D)

Osgood Howard (Might be ok with the forwards and defense...)

Obviously it would've been great to include guys like Hull and Hasek, but their best days were elsewhere.

I know Cleary isn't so popular these days (and I'm not happy he go resigned), but he did have some good role-playing years in Detroit and that's where he revived and made his career. He is the 14th forward.

The defense is probably the weakest in terms of how long they played in Detroit, but this is the best I could come up with.

The goalies? What can I say? We all know the Wings' approach to goaltending.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Having Cleary on any all-era Red wings team is a joke...

Even as a 14th forward.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Franzen and Cleary? What about Gallant and Burr? Rest of the team looks good if we count Hasek as a sabre is that the same reason you didnt include Coffey btw?.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We now have 3 candidates instead of Cleary, is there a 4th without this getting into some ridiculous Cleary bashing?

Suggesting people other than Cleary be on an all red wings team that spans over 20 years is "Cleary bashing"???????

You're going to have to explain that to me.....

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Suggesting people other than Cleary be on an all red wings team that spans over 20 years is "Cleary bashing"???????

You're going to have to explain that to me.....

No, I meant how many players can be named BEFORE it would become Cleary bashing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Modern era

Jiri Hudler
Valterri Filppula

Older players

Ogrodnick
Oates
Klima would be a toss up
Dino Ciccareli
Ron Duguay if you extend it to the mid 80s
Dave Barr
Jimmy Carson

E: Ray Sheppard
Paul Ysebaert

There are obvious others, but seriously Cleary was a good role player for a while but he's nowhere near one of the top 14 forwards that played for the Wings in that time period.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Modern era

Jiri Hudler
Valterri Filppula

Older players

Ogrodnick
Oates
Klima would be a toss up
Dino Ciccareli
Ron Duguay if you extend it to the mid 80s
Dave Barr
Jimmy Carson

E: Ray Sheppard
Paul Ysebaert

There are obvious others, but seriously Cleary was a good role player for a while but he's nowhere near one of the top 14 forwards that played for the Wings in that time period.

Now here we are getting into only remembering Cleary for the last couple of years territory.

Players I agree on:

Flip
Dino
Barr
Ogrodnick
Oates but maybe we were talking wingers strictly I dont know.

Klima is a wash I think

Players worse than Cleary:

Duguay (basically a product of Yzerman, low scoring for an 80s player surprised you chose him and not Bolidirev.)
Jimmy Carson (decent regular season resume but Ill take Cleary over him in the playoffs any day)
I take Clearys attitude over Ray Sheppards primadonna antics any day. Ray needed to go and Scotty couldnt wait to get rid of him.

Tell me why would Ysebeart who did absolutely nothing in the playoffs be better than Cleary?

I could add a guy who was similar to Cleary but I believe he was better. Doug Brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad