GDT: Wings @ Leafs CENTENNIAL CLASSIC BMO 3 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpg

Detroit Red Wings at Toronto Maple Leafs: Sunday NHL preview

Auston Matthews and the Leafs host Wings outdoors at BMO Field in Sunday's Centennial Classic.

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Sat., Dec. 31, 2016

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...t-toronto-maple-leafs-sunday-nhl-preview.html

leafday-matthews.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x725.jpg

CENTENNIAL CLASSIC

BMO FIELD

FACEOFF: 3 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

KEY PLAYERS

Larkin/Matthews

Two of the best, young players in the game square off outdoors. Both Dylan Larkin of the Wings and Auston Matthews of the Leafs starred for the United States at the development level, and they’ve become good friends over the years. Larkin racked up 23 goals as a rookie and has 10 so far in his second season, while Matthews is drawing rave reviews with 18 goals and 12 assists through 35 games. Their friendly competition could help restore some lustre to the Leafs-Wings rivalry.

NEED TO KNOW

Detroit has proved to be a better road team, sporting a 9-6-1 mark away compared to 7-10-3 at home. They downed the Senators 3-2 in overtime in Ottawa on Thursday, improving to 8-4 in OT play this season. . . . Detroit is also 5-0 in shootouts and faces a Leafs team that played beyond regulation time often in December. … Anthony Mantha scored the overtime winner in Ottawa and has three goals in his last four games — seven goals overall, tied for third on the team. . . . The Wings are waiting for star forward Gustav Nyquist to get going. He has four goals, on 75 shots, after a combined 72 goals over his past three seasons. . . . The Wings rank dead last on the power play, 14th on the penalty kill.

UP NEXT

Tuesday at Washington Capitals, 7 p.m.

Coach Babcock has made his mark with Maple Leafs
By Rob Longley, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/31/coach-babcock-has-made-his-mark-with-maple-leafs

1297912808528_ORIGINAL.jpg

GAME DAY: Red Wings at Maple Leafs

3 p.m., BMO Field, SN, SN590

First alert

Auston Matthews has been piling up goals of late for the Leafs and many of them are coming early in the game. First regular-season look at him for the Wings.

Road mentality

The Leafs have won five straight on the road after a long home stand didn’t go quite the way they wanted. Despite the wins, an old story is still hurting the Leafs: Difficulty playing with a lead.

Power failure

Wings last in the NHL? Say it ain’t so, especially with the Leafs killing off the last 20 penalties on the road.

Lesson learned

Detroit’s Andreas Athanasiou was benched in the third period of the team’s last game against Ottawa for perceived lack of effort on defence. As the London native bought a bunch of the pricey tickets for Sunday’s game, he’s anxious to show coach Jeff Blashill he’s made of better stuff.

Face it

Despite a challenging season, Wings are second on the draw at 53.5%.

THE BIG MATCHUP

Old Man Winter vs. Both Teams

Each club practiced on the newly created rink and gave it a passing grade, though there will be some unfamiliar bounces off boards and glass. Looks like the weatherman will co-operate with an anticipated high of just above freezing with sunny skies, though there’s a slight chance of precipitation. But nothing like the storm that hit the Big House in this game three years ago.

Last edited:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Are we wearing the dark jerseys?

I've liked light jerseys more almost my entire life, but those dark jersey's with the white Old logo are fabuliiiii!

Or, maybe it's the sun and glare bouncing off of Matthews, but in that pic, that jersey looks fabuliiiii.

AND SO DOES HE - SERIOUSLY

Sometimes, I feel embarrassed (only to myself, my wife knows zero about hockey) because I'm afraid this is just a dream and/or this just can't be, he's just so good!

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Are we wearing the dark jerseys?

I've liked light jerseys more almost my entire life, but those dark jersey's with the white Old logo are fabuliiiii!

Or, maybe it's the sun and glare bouncing off of Matthews, but in that pic, that jersey looks fabuliiiii.

AND SO DOES HE - SERIOUSLY

Sometimes, I feel embarrassed (only to myself, my wife knows zero about hockey) because I'm afraid this is just a dream and/or this just can't be, he's just so good!

Here's the White

dynamic_resize

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Looking cool off the ice: 2 Leafs players design part of men's suit for Centennial Classic
Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner pay tribute to former NHLers through 'cool' jacket lining

By Muriel Draaisma, CBC News Posted: Dec 31, 2016 3:01 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 31, 2016 3:01 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...wear-design-maple-leafs-players-nhl-1.3917713

nhl-s-centennial-classic-special-jacket-lining.jpg

A good suit is all about the fit. But in the case of two Toronto Maple Leafs players, it's all about the jacket lining too.

Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner helped a custom menswear company in the city design a jacket lining for two men's suits that the pair plan to wear before and after the NHL's Centennial Classic on New Year's Day.

The Leafs face off against the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday at BMO Field.

The lining features images of former NHLers — Leafs and Wings — who played in the previous winter classics and their logos. It has an embroidered version of the 100th Centennial Classic patch, which the players in the game will wear on the shoulder of their jerseys.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Thanks Budsfan,

geez, maybe that's a practice dark jersey that Matthews has on in your pre game presentation pics, because, it's solid blue except for the white crest, - I just really like it SOLID with the white logo, and it's very dark blue, or again, it could be the sun and glare.

meh, the celebration jersey's are fine too but I'm not crazy about the white bar all the way around the sweater - but, this is not important in the scheme of life.

I do love that Matthews pic though!!!!!

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
**** YA BOYZ

I'm gonna be there, really pumped for it. Anyone know of anything fun happening afterwards that involves alchohol? Will bars/ripper joints be open?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Connor Brown and his family seem real humble and genuine. Really happy for him playing for his childhood fav team. Kids a great player too

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lets make it 5 straight wins boys and get the new year off to a great start to set the tone for a good year in Leafland. !!!

Mad Brills*

Yeah, don't know why you either just start the game at 1, or have it at 5-6 PM, after it gets dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad