GAME DAY: Red Wings at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
GAME DAY: Red Wings at Maple Leafs

7 P.M., Thursday
Scotiabank Arena

TV: Sportsnet RADIO: TSN 1050
THE BIG MATCHUP
C Frans Nielsen vs. G Frederik Andersen

Believe it or not, Andersen isn’t the only hot player from Herning, Denmark in this game. Nielsen, who didn’t get his first goal of the year until the weekend, bagged three on Tuesday in a 6-5 shootout loss to the Lightning. Andersen was hoping to avoid a fifth straight game of facing 40 or more shots and there is a chance Mike Babcock rests him anyway to play Garret Sparks and keep the Dane rested for Boston.
KEYS TO THE GAME
1. AUSTON’S POWERS

That was a huge step forward in his recovery from a shoulder injury Tuesday in Buffalo when he had two goals, three points and the game winner over Buffalo with less than three seconds to play. Matthews had two power play goals versus Detroit in the first meeting, a 5-3 Toronto win.
2. KEEP WILLY IN CHECK
This goes for both teams. While William Nylander will have an urge to show fans just what they’re getting for $41 million US, he can’t be caught trying to do too much freelancing in his first game. Regardless, he’ll be a handful for Detroit.
3. LONG AND WING DING ROAD
The past three seasons have seen the tide in this old rivalry shift in Toronto’s favour, a record of 8-1 as the Detroit machine Babcock once ran is now in rebuild mode. Inability to sustain focus in a winnable regulation game over the conference leaders on Tuesday shows they still have some growing to do.
4. SHORT TEMPERS
Detroit’s next penalty killing situation will be its 100th of the year, one of the highest totals in the circuit. Toronto, with a potent power play, has had to kill a league-low 69.
5. KEEP PUCKS ON A STRING
At last, the Leafs meet a team more prone to giveaways than themselves. The Wings are league leaders, which makes life hard on goalies Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Bernier, though Andersen might have thrown some shade at Nazem Kadri in Buffalo after his freebie allowed Buffalo to take the lead.
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY

Toronto 28.2% (3rd)
Detroit 19.2% (16th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 79.7% (15th)
Detroit 78.8% (17th)
william-nylander-e1543443237320.jpg

Nylander.....He's Back

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
5-2 Leaf victory with Nylander potting a goal and assist in his debut.

Looking forward to seeing entire lineup together for the first time. Should be interesting.

I wonder what type of reception Nylander will get from home fans? Lets see.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Start Nylander on the 4th line. Move him up to the 3rd as the game progresses and keep his minutes in the 10-12 range

About time Nylander is in the lineup!!

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It would be nice to send a message to the league tonight with a strong, unmerciful performance in our first game at full strength. I hope Nylander comes out flying, and that he and Matthews have themselves a game. Also really hoping to see Kapanen on a line with them.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Time to crush a team

:laugh: and how long have you been a Leafs fan? ;)

Every game starts with the score pretty even and any team can lose to any other team.

Just give us game where both teams give their best effort ... and that should favor the Leafs.

The good thing is Nylander is not the savior so there's no reason for anyone to relax.

Andersen is the only savior on this team, but even Sparks can step up.

Love to see a crushing though!!!!

Reactions: Eric bungay

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Be an interesting poll on what the expected reception for Nylander will be.
I would imagine the crowd will be split between boos and cheers.

If I were in attendance I would let him have it for the first shift or two than forget about it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This can arguably be the first time the best Leafs lineup in history ever plays together. At least offensively.

Personally, I'd rephrase that to the most talented lineup in my lifetime, having lived through the Cup years in the 60's, but that team never had the most talent like this team may. It didn't take the most talent to win, and let's hope this team grows to be both the best Leafs team along with most talented. I think if they could acquire 1 top pairing d-man they'd be a scary team. Without using any of their top 6 skaters I'd be down for moving prospects, picks and a player to get that one player.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Be an interesting poll on what the expected reception for Nylander will be.
I would imagine the crowd will be split between boos and cheers.

If I were in attendance I would let him have it for the first shift or two than forget about it.
I'm against booing any Leafs player if I'm watching a game in person live. When physically at a game I believe everyone should cheer for every Leafs unconditionally. Just my two cents

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
As someone who was born in the mid 90’s, my earliest memories of watching the Leafs are the early 2000’s teams. Exciting that this lineup tonight is probably going to be the best Leafs lineup in my life so far
I was technically around during the early '90s, and this might still be the most potent Leafs lineup I've ever witnessed.

Pretty excited, but also bummed that it's happening on a Thursday (I hate Thursday games).

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Dumbass I work with who dislikes all non Canadian players is saying he hopes Nylander (born in AB? ...) busts because he sat out and is carried by “that American kid” (Matthews ).. who he is now calling “princess puck hog”

...I hope these 2 light it up tonight whether they’re together or not

Reactions: Al14

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dumbass I work with who dislikes all non Canadian players is saying he hopes Nylander (born in AB? ...) busts because he sat out and is carried by “that American kid” (Matthews ).. who he is now calling “princess puck hog”

Let me guess, Domi and Clarke are his favourite players ever?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was technically around during the early '90s, and this might still be the most potent Leafs lineup I've ever witnessed.

Pretty excited, but also bummed that it's happening on a Thursday (I hate Thursday games).

The talent we had in the early 90's isn't even close to what we have now. Goalie was good, defence was solid but our only top tier forward was Gilmour, Clark and Andreychuk were our only 2nd tier forwards and then there's a gap before the rest of them.

The 70's were good too with a core of Palmateer, Sittler, McDonald, Salming and Turnbull. Still gets blown out of the water by what we have today.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Those 90's teams were not as talented as this team is.

They were a lot meaner, and they also relied on goaltending as much as we do now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

See not all twits are Cherry's age!

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto

lol basically everyone in my beer league team

Reactions: Al14 and Blufreezy

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Start Nylander on the 4th line. Move him up to the 3rd as the game progresses and keep his minutes in the 10-12 range

About time Nylander is in the lineup!!

Why? If Nylander is in the lineup, you don't play him on the 4th line. What's the point?

Reactions: al secord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad