GDT: Wings@Leafs 7PM CBC/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
is he? Johnsson has actually been good
also there's no guarantee he'd stay on the 4th line. Last year he was 2nd among forwards in ice time in the playoffs despite being our worst player

I'm indifferent on either player to be honest. I don't know how much impact AJ will have against Boston, and I do know the Leo is very valuable to the PK.

That being said I agree I don't know how Babs' will handle the line match ups. I mean guaranteed Bergeron's line will match up against Matthews' for games in Boston so I don't think Babcock will stick Leo with Kadri.

I think the home line up will largely depend on how Matthews' handles Bergeron's line in those first two games. If he does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Babcock keep that match up the same ... But if it's a bit of a struggle, I could see Kadri matching up against that line.

That being said I don't know if Babcock would move Marner off of that line immediately because that throws the other lines off.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think we look a lot faster without Komarov. Babcock figured it out with Martin, maybe he will figure it out with Komarov as well. It's not like we don't have an abundance of PKers. What is so special about his so called "PK skills"?

Reactions: Alerion

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
man I hope he doesn't value throwing hits more than cf%

Was jokes.

Komarov's spot on the PK was taken by Plekanec last game. He was effective, different from Komarov, but forced neutral zone jams and denied entries effectively. Now the Nashville PP is brutal (lately) and a lot of shots or passes left the Leafs end by their own doing, reducing quality zone time in the Leafs end. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to be effective against a traditionally better Detroit PP. If he can, it will go a long way to deciding whether Komarov gets in over Johnsson.

I think Babcock loves the speed on the 4th line now, and as much as he loves Komarov, I think he will see what he has with Johnsson for a lot of the final 8 games and ease K in if he doesn't like what he sees.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Meh. One doesn't have to like shot metrics as stats, but that's just dumb. Flaunting of ignorance is never a good look.

or it's a joke because people focus so much on one thing, they disregard the other.
I don't think it's fair to say D. J. Smith is flaunting ignorance for a tongue in cheek comment.

Reactions: ThewThew and Cotton

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Meh. One doesn't have to like shot metrics as stats, but that's just dumb. Flaunting of ignorance is never a good look.
I think babcock was just taking a shot at the holes in valuing only numbers, not so much hits. Ive been watching closely and alot of times when opposing skilled players are at the end of there shift they will take another shot at an offensive rush against a gardner, reilly etc.. but when they see they are gonna going up against polak they just dump it in lol. Obviously not saying polak is better than those guys, just an observation i notice, that might be what he was getting at.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hope it was a joke, but idk. It would explain why Polak has a spot locked down even though Carrick has been better

Well, Babcock made reference that it's "good to have a man back there." I don't know how much I would like that if I was one of the other D, but he does indeed like his heavy game back there. Babcock isn't dumb though, you can play a heavy game without running around throwing hits that take you out of position. It's been rare lately this season with Polak.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I hope it was a joke, but idk. It would explain why Polak has a spot locked down even though Carrick has been better
To me it just shows that they know about his corsi but have some sort of their own numbers that they track. I don't think you could be apart of this organization if you don't accept all forms of info, seems like that's the point of our diverse front office.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well, Babcock made reference that it's "good to have a man back there." I don't know how much I would like that if I was one of the other D, but he does indeed like his heavy game back there. Babcock isn't dumb though, you can play a heavy game without running around throwing hits that take you out of position. It's been rare lately this season with Polak.
yeah I remember that. I definitely wouldn't like that either

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hope so, we need him on the PK. Right now our 1st PK unit is Brown-Hyman I believe?
From what I saw last game it was Plekanec/Hyman, Brown/Kapenen

It was Brown trying to chip the puck past the Nashville D and Kapenen starting to blow the zone that led to that Nashville PP. Subban made a good play on boards and Polak took one step too far away from their deep player thinking the play was going up ice. Sometimes it's a game of inches.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
or it's a joke because people focus so much on one thing, they disregard the other.
I don't think it's fair to say D. J. Smith is flaunting ignorance for a tongue in cheek comment.
Those things aren't mutually exclusive though. Tongue in cheek comments can be ignorant. You don't make that comment if you understand that effective hitting would help your corsi. By making a comment that portrays the hit and its effect as something apart from what corsi measures, he shows that he doesn't understand that. Thus, ignorant.

I like DJ though, so I'm not trying to make something of this. Just saying that it's not a good look. The reason I said anything at all was because I've read and heard so many coaches say things that basically amounts to being close-minded, not caring for new information unless it confirms what they already think. Nothing good comes from that.

I think babcock was just taking a shot at the holes in valuing only numbers, not so much hits.
Amount of hits is a number though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Those things aren't mutually exclusive though. Tongue in cheek comments can be ignorant. You don't make that comment if you understand that effective hitting would help your corsi. By making a comment that portrays the hit and its effect as something apart from what corsi measures, he shows that he doesn't understand that. Thus, ignorant.

or he does understand it, knows that Polak for the last two years gets crucified for having poor numbers, and he made a lame joke.

but it doesn't matter. I and my non advanced stats understanding self will just hush up, because you could easily be right.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I like DJ though, so I'm not trying to make something of this. Just saying that it's not a good look. The reason I said anything at all was because I've read and heard so many coaches say things that basically amounts to being close-minded, not caring for new information unless it confirms what they already think. Nothing good comes from that.

They can not fall in love with Polak too much. Surely, anyone can see that it can be an issue if he plays even close to 20 mins in the playoffs. Anybody can look ok for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad