Post-Game Talk: Wings @ Leafs 11/6/15

Actual Thought*

Is this the first year changes have been made to improve the roster?

If we improved to a second round loss would that have been something for Babcock to hang his hat on?

Remember, the Wings have made it to the second round once in the last four years. Not going to get on Babcock for it, but you also can't act like Babcock is the amazing grace that had this team as a contender before Blashill ruined it all.

So no. You can't make a better argument. You can't observe that this has been a team in massive transition flipping 60% of its' players and is far better than it was in any of the last 6 years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So no. You can't make a better argument. You can't observe that this has been a team in massive transition flipping 60% of its' players and is far better than it was in any of the last 6 years.

Okay, so you believe this team is the best of the last 6 years?

Might explain why you consider this season to already be such a failure.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would say best since 09.

08-09 Wings had the best offense in hockey. Their defense was also miles better than the 15-16 Wings. Wings won 51 games despite Osgood posting an .887 save percentage and 3.07 goals per game.

Babcock + this years roster (healthy) isn't in the same zip code as the 08-09 team. The 09-10 and 10-11 teams are better than this team, and that's because those teams had Lidstrom.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
This is the same unprofessional **** we have seen since the 10-11 season. The team can't be counted on to start on time and doesn't show much interest in regular season hockey. When they do start on time, they can't play three full periods. Players float for large stretches of games and don't actually want to work (support the puck, move to space, etc.). When they win they tend to do the absolute minimum that they need to do so. They can't just out talent teams like they once could and it shows.

This is what I've been saying regarding blashill. He might fail, but I don't see anything that is much worse than the last few years. I know that the shot numbers are horrible, but it's just the continuation of the ****** way they've been playing.

They almost never have jump. I played enough to know that there are nights where the heart is there, but the body isn't willing. They pull this **** too much for that to be the case. Sooner, or later the **** was bound to hit the fan. Now, what it takes to fix it is way harder than saying that blashill is an idiot with serious character flaws, as has been mentioned here.

The wings had a few options on coaches. IMO

1. Pay Babs what ever it would take to retain him. Everybody has a number. They could afford it.
B. Find a retread coach such as torts, Wilson, Carlyle.
III. Try to hire one of Bab's old assistants.
4. Try to find the next really good next coach.

I know there other options. And I'd live to hear them. But, they went with 4, and they reasons to do so. I'm willing to see it play out. Hell, the worst that can happen is they pick 4th. I'm a lions fan, I can take it.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
This is what I've been saying regarding blashill. He might fail, but I don't see anything that is much worse than the last few years. I know that the shot numbers are horrible, but it's just the continuation of the ****** way they've been playing.

They almost never have jump. I played enough to know that there are nights where the heart is there, but the body isn't willing. They pull this **** too much for that to be the case. Sooner, or later the **** was bound to hit the fan. Now, what it takes to fix it is way harder than saying that blashill is an idiot with serious character flaws, as has been mentioned here.

The wings had a few options on coaches. IMO

1. Pay Babs what ever it would take to retain him. Everybody has a number. They could afford it.
B. Find a retread coach such as torts, Wilson, Carlyle.
III. Try to hire one of Bab's old assistants.
4. Try to find the next really good next coach.

I know there other options. And I'd live to hear them. But, they went with 4, and they reasons to do so. I'm willing to see it play out. Hell, the worst that can happen is they pick 4th. I'm a lions fan, I can take it.
What high end coaches have contracts expiring at the end of the year? I
Wonder who might be available? I wanted McClellan but we wanted Blashill and he went to edmonton.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
This may be heresy but what if Zetterberg isn't a good captain?

He didn't become captain this season.

Zetterberg unquestionably leads by example on and off the ice, and is constantly talking with everyone on the bench(especially Larkin this season). No clue what would make you think he's a bad captain.

Not to mention, people really overrate the captaincy. Leadership is a group effort.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
This may be heresy but what if Zetterberg isn't a good captain?

What if he's had ****** talent to play with, minus Datsyuk and Kronwall? Can't motivate/lead mediocre players/talent to do great things. How about the fact that he's dragged this team to the playoffs multiple times. He exuded leadership during his Conn Smythe run, and on plenty of other occasions. Zetterberg is just fine as a captain.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Zetterberg's locker room speeches can't put pucks in the net or get the defense to not suck.

Z has 15 points in 13 games. What more can you ask from the captain of the team?

Z could be the best captain in the history of hockey and if you put him on a crap team, that team would still be crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad