Feb 27, 2008
The head to head continues.
Down to the wire.
It’s a good battle.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This could potentially mean Robertson isn't playing tonight. Could mean he's been told he made the team. I also read that Robertson was at optional skate this morning which typically means he wouldn't be playing tonight.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's a good looking GDT. Provides some info rather than using the OP like it's a Google search bar.

Heh

This could potentially mean Robertson isn't playing tonight. Could mean he's been told he made the team. I also read that Robertson was at optional skate this morning which typically means he wouldn't be playing tonight.

Yeah I agree robby has made the team.

Last chance motel for malgin and gaudette, though tbh I don't think gaudette has much of a chance of sticking.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Giving gaudette one last look to see if he can play the same way he did last night. If he can do that on a consistent basis, I wouldn't mind him over ZAR

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Robertson has pretty much made the team. Holmberg has a good chance of sticking but it might depend on JT's health

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Holmberg always the easier fit to replace Tavares due to position.

Sounds like he might be ahead of Malgin.

Reactions: stickty111

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Holmberg has been solid but not sure I see excellent. I’d be sending him back for more development personally. Eager to see what he can be in a couple more years for us, but not waiving someone to keep him around at this point

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Team has depth. Suddenly looks less star heavy. Some hungry guys on the roster

Reactions: Burnie97

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How I see it as well….

Decisions to be made on about 3 players, and deciding who goes on waivers.

1665251165826.png

Robertson
Holmberg
Aston-Reese

Reactions: DarkKnight

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Holmberg has been solid but not sure I see excellent. I’d be sending him back for more development personally. Eager to see what he can be in a couple more years for us, but not waiving someone to keep him around at this point

From a coach's point of view I get the "excellent" comment - Holmberg plays an NHL ready detail oriented pro game that sets him apart from the other kids. Very good in taking angles and pressuring the puck without overcommitting, physically strong on the puck and eager to go to the boards and the front of the net, and while he doesn't dangle and carry the puck much (yet) he makes quick smart reads and passes, supports his teammates, and makes a beeline for open ice to give them options.

I'm not sure where the offensive upside is going to reach quite yet but I totally get what coach is seeing in him as an NHL-ready center defensively at least, and I'm not sure how much benefit he'll get playing in the AHL.

Reactions: Chindis and ULF_55

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Giving gaudette one last look to see if he can play the same way he did last night. If he can do that on a consistent basis, I wouldn't mind him over ZAR
The problem with this is, I can see ZAR playing the way he has every single night and he knows his role and does it well, to him that's his job.

I can't see Gaudette bringing that 4th line energy in a consistent basis enough, he seems like a guy that wants to play with skilled linemates or he'll eventually lose interest. When you're being evaluated you play harder (obviously) but once he makes the team and understands he won't be moved up the line up unless there are Injuries, I feel he will disappear.

He hasn't played bad, but you can tell he's just trying to win a job, while ZAR just looks like he's playing his everyday game and his experience playing that role is just coming to him naturally (forcheck hard, hit everything, dig in corners, play solid D, capitalize on Ozone chances when they come).. and to me I'll take that over Guadette.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The problem with this is, I can see ZAR playing the way he has every single night and he knows his role and does it well, to him that's his job.

I can't see Gaudette bringing that 4th line energy in a consistent basis enough, he seems like a guy that wants to play with skilled linemates or he'll eventually lose interest. When you're being evaluated you play harder (obviously) but once he makes the team and understands he won't be moved up the line up unless there are Injuries, I feel he will disappear.

He hasn't played bad, but you can tell he's just trying to win a job, while ZAR just looks like he's playing his everyday game and his experience playing that role is just coming to him naturally (forcheck hard, hit everything, dig in corners, play solid D, capitalize on Ozone chances when they come).. and to me I'll take that over Guadette.

The problem with Gaudette is that outside of shooting the puck he doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

He's not a liability but a role player like ZAR is more useful in a checking role or on the PK. In the bottom 6 a players defensive attributes are as important as anything they do offensively.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Ya it's too bad he had the shoulder issue. I think it would have been a 3 way battle with him joining Robertson and Malgin.
No injuries tonight please.

Reactions: saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad