Confirmed with Link: Wings hire Bob Boughner & Alex Westlund

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Toward the end of the article, it covers the mess that Grier has to untangle in San Jose. But this last part caught my eye:

"Radek Simek could get a fresh start as well. He has two years remaining on his deal and a meeting between the defender and Grier expects to take place soon. Bob Boughner apparently burned more than a few bridges in his tenure as Grier goes to mend some fences."

Can anybody else speak to this? I'm not concerned, just curious.

It’s hard to say what was going on in San Jose’s locker room. But that team has been a gong show since 2019 and I blame the roster construction more than the coaching staff.

The Evander Kane debacle, hanging onto Thornton too long, the Labanc contract, EK’s anchor of a deal. Vlasic turning into late career DDK.

Management was really bad the last 5 years. But Boughner did at least get good results on the PK.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It’s hard to say what was going on in San Jose’s locker room. But that team has been a gong show since 2019 and I blame the roster construction more than the coaching staff.

The Evander Kane debacle, hanging onto Thornton too long, the Labanc contract, EK’s anchor of a deal. Vlasic turning into late career DDK.

Management was really bad the last 5 years. But Boughner did at least get good results on the PK.
Yeah, it was kinda "Chicago Seth Jones" West for a few years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah. Also losing Pavelski was bigger thing than many expected.

I just did some digging on the sharks board and it looks like there was some sentiment that Boughner didn’t play the kids as much as the fans hoped for. But if you look at their kids there isn’t a single guy that anyone would consider high end outside of Eklund.

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
Boughner is a better assistant coach at the NHL level than HC. He's an old school screamer type that can be reined in by a HC and can play the bad cop role with an offsetting good cop that you can't plan as HC.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I just did some digging on the sharks board and it looks like there was some sentiment that Boughner didn’t play the kids as much as the fans hoped for. But if you look at their kids there isn’t a single guy that anyone would consider high end outside of Eklund.
That's the typical story. Coach is not using the kids because he sees those kids aren't enough good to replace a regular.

Coach is doing the right thing and fans are disappointed, mostly because of false hopes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad