Confirmed with Link: Wings Have a 75 % Chance of Making the Playoffs!

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Can you ask them the lottery numbers? Thanks.

1+

I want a really high draft pick, this team is going nowhere in the playoffs anyways, so get the lowest possible draftpick, use the buy-out option in the summer on bertuzzi and samuelsson, let cleary walk, re-sign filppula if he doesn't go above 5M, inject youth nyquist, tatar, järnkrok. Allt his to begin with. (wishful thinking). Then start over next season, and let the team develope "on the fly".

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
1+

I want a really high draft pick, this team is going nowhere in the playoffs anyways, so get the lowest possible draftpick, use the buy-out option in the summer on bertuzzi and samuelsson, let cleary walk, re-sign filppula if he doesn't go above 5M, inject youth nyquist, tatar, järnkrok. Allt his to begin with. (wishful thinking). Then start over next season, and let the team develope "on the fly".

It's just not going to happen. This team isn't very good, but it's not a lottery team and whether or not this team looks like it's going anywhere in the playoffs doesn't really matter. Datsyuk and Z would have to get traded, so if people are hoping for a really high pick they're going to be disappointed.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It's just not going to happen. This team isn't very good, but it's not a lottery team and whether or not this team looks like it's going anywhere in the playoffs doesn't really matter. Datsyuk and Z would have to get traded, so if people are hoping for a really high pick they're going to be disappointed.

There's a decent chance they miss the playoffs (an injury to key player can happen any moment) that's at worst the 14th overall pick, highest pick since 1990 or something?

I'll take that, and that's a good pick for the wings, if they would fall another 1-3 spots that's even better. There's a Darnell Nurse or similar player around there, a player with abilities that isn't to be found in the system.

Also if you miss the playoffs you could still end up with 1st overall pick with (luck, a lot of it) IIRC they changed the drafting rules so every team that doesnt make the playoffs has a chance of getting the 1st

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I concur with Heaton!

Why didn't you concur?! LOL

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
362nk1.jpg

Sorry, had to :laugh:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Bingo. There's just no way for any team with two of the best centers in the game to become a lottery team overnight.

People who are cheering "Death for Seth" and "Quit Winnin' for McKinnon" are going to be very disappointed with our season results.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
They're not going to be a lottery team. But this team is not going farther than the 1st round, even by adding some pieces through trade. Rentals will simply spend assets and give nothing in return. Only trade I would do is trade Filppula for a non-rental d-man, since he seems to want more than $5M. Then put Nyquist on Pavel's wing so he'll be ready for next year. Iginla would probably be the worst possible pick up right now.

RedWingsNow*

They're not going to be a lottery team. But this team is not going farther than the 1st round, even by adding some pieces through trade. Rentals will simply spend assets and give nothing in return. Only trade I would do is trade Filppula for a non-rental d-man, since he seems to want more than $5M. Then put Nyquist on Pavel's wing so he'll be ready for next year. Iginla would probably be the worst possible pick up right now.

Tatar is the best choice for Pavel's wing.
I agree. I love Iginla, but I do not want to spend assets on him, unless they are disposable assets (Flip - leaving anyway, maybe, Andersson, Almquist, Lashoff)

RedWingsNow*

Who had them pegged for 14-15th?

The general consensus was 6-10th.

I had them 6 to 10.
But I gotta say, if they don't comeback against Edmonton, down 2-0, I think it's entirely likely we're looking at a 10 to 13 spot.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
To be fair, the Leafs had something like a 90% chance of making the playoffs in February or so last season before falling off a cliff. Not saying I expect a team with Dats/Z to do that, just that this number isn't exactly a guarantee.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html , the Wings have a 75% chance of making the playoffs. Feels good, after seeing what everyone said about the Wings finishing 14th or 15th in the West after losing Lidstrom, Stuart and (gasp!) Hudler.

Rofl, who the hell predicted the Wings would come in dead last in a conference with CBJ, the Flames, the Oilers?

The team still has a Datsyuk and a Zetterberg. You cannot be dead last with that.

Most sane people, put the Wings as a bubble team. anywhere from 6-12. And with the West as tight as it is, you might as well expand that to 4-14. Since what, it's just a point here or there that separates them anyway. But dead last? Hahaha.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
This means nothing. If the wings go on a 7 game slide like they did last year they could be screwed. Especially if they keep losing to people under them like Columbus.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
To be fair, the Leafs had something like a 90% chance of making the playoffs in February or so last season before falling off a cliff. Not saying I expect a team with Dats/Z to do that, just that this number isn't exactly a guarantee.

Haha, it's a % number, of course it's not a guarantee. But it's also closer to playoffs. Less room for big swings.

Either way, I don't know how to take this news. If Holland makes moves at the TDL, and we bring up Tatar full time? I honestly think the team could do damage in the playoffs. If we sit on our hands? Then I'll say "why did we bother making the playoffs and ruining our chances at a great pick."

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I had them 6 to 10.
But I gotta say, if they don't comeback against Edmonton, down 2-0, I think it's entirely likely we're looking at a 10 to 13 spot.

As long as Z/Dats played the majority of the season, they were gonna get atleast an eighth seed.

I only thought they wouldn't make the playoffs if either of those players missed a significant amount of time.

12-13 is for truly terrible teams with an awful system.

Datsyuk/Z would never allow this team to be 13th in the conference. They work too hard.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
As long as Z/Dats played the majority of the season, they were gonna get atleast an eighth seed.

I only thought they wouldn't make the playoffs if either of those players missed a significant amount of time.

12-13 is for truly terrible teams with an awful system.

Datsyuk/Z would never allow this team to be 13th in the conference. They work too hard.

25% is still a pretty decent chunk of a probability that they miss. And if the past 4-5 years are any indication, the difference between 8-9 could be as slim as ROW tiebreakers. Saying "at least 8th" is pretty nothing.

What I'm trying to point out is, as good as Dats/Z are, even they cannot guarantee us playoff spots anymore. The surrounding player quality has diminished, the league has gotten tighter, and the system we're playing doesn't seem so coherent anymore.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As close as the west is, this % doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. It's 10 points between 3rd and 15th. The smallest losing streak could mean big trouble from here on out

We are 0.656 team at home and 0.461 team on the road. If we keep that pace throughout the regular season we'll end up to be a 0.559 team.

Last year it needed 0.579 from west to get in the playoffs. East playoff line was at 0.561.

So what we have been at this season does not carry us in the playoffs. We have to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad