Wings dead last in shots per game

J15

Mar 18, 2009
The Wings have averaged a total of 21.3 shots per game so far. The next worst team in the league is at 24.3.

This isn't meant to panic anyone, or say that the Wings are doomed after 4 games, but once the shooting percentage levels out, they're going to be in serious trouble if they can't get more pucks to the net.

Is it something to do with Blashill's style? On paper the offence looks like the deepest they've had in a long time, and their defence seems to be more involved offensively than in previous years. So why the horrible shot numbers and what needs to be done?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's the transition game. They struggle to get out of their zone, and when they do they struggle to get through the neutral zone. I see awful passes everywhere. Because of this, idk if the system is causing there to hardly be any outlets/lanes, or or the players are just ****ing up 9/10x

We can hardly maintain any offensive pressure because of this. When we do make it to the offensive zone we do okay, but the struggle is getting there in the first place. Hardly playing in the ozone = low shot totals

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's the transition game. They struggle to get out of their zone, and when they do they struggle to get through the neutral zone. I see awful passes everywhere. Because of this, idk if the system is causing there to hardly be any outlets/lanes, or or the players are just ****ing up 9/10x

We can hardly maintain any offensive pressure because of this. When we do make it to the offensive zone we do okay, but the struggle is getting there in the first place. Hardly playing in the ozone = low shot totals

This is the same thing that happened last year. The defense isn't good enough to get the puck through the neutral zone. Last year all of the forwards had to basically lug it out themselves. Same story this year.

Aug 6, 2012
The defense is average to begin with at transition so when you take out the second best defenseman you are going to struggle like crazy. We have Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson in our top-four... that's not going to get it done. Really this team isn't going anywhere until Ericsson is taken off that top pairing.

Aug 6, 2012
And your third pairing is Smith-Kindl lol.

If only we had some guys possibly capable of transitioning the puck better... I wonder where we could find some... it would be awesome if they knew Blashill's system too. Hmmm...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The defense is average to begin with at transition so when you take out the second best defenseman you are going to struggle like crazy. We have Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson in our top-four... that's not going to get it done. Really this team isn't going anywhere until Ericsson is taken off that top pairing.

Yup. We can have the deepest group of forwards there is, but if we can't transition to them it doesn't really matter.

The Dekesyer-Green pairing will be good but we have nothing to put with Kronwall that will work. It's going to continue to limit us until addressed.

Brandel*

Score effects have an effect on that number. Still really low though.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
As ZetterbergsBeard pointed out, this happened last year too. It's a problem, and everyone's right that it's the transition game. Dekeyser will help, but it's time to get Ericsson off the top line and start trading some of the expendable, but capable youth to make a real run this year.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yup. We can have the deepest group of forwards there is, but if we can't transition to them it doesn't really matter.

The Dekesyer-Green pairing will be good but we have nothing to put with Kronwall that will work. It's going to continue to limit us until addressed.

Yup, exactly.

Get to work, Kenny. We're a couple pieces away from being a top contender. And we have the assets to acquire those pieces. This is precisely your job, for f#%k sake.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
As ZetterbergsBeard pointed out, this happened last year too. It's a problem, and everyone's right that it's the transition game. Dekeyser will help, but it's time to get Ericsson off the top line and start trading some of the expendable, but capable youth to make a real run this year.

I couldn't agree more. If we land that puck moving righty to throw on the top line, our d will be much better at transitioning, especially with Mike Green and a healthy ddk when he gets back. Then our forward and goaltending depth will show through.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
Bring up Jensen and XO

Take Smith and Quincey out back...

Trade Pulks, a pick and whatever else for a puckmover like Vatanen

Do something or we are wasting the most promising season in recent memory

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
How was the preseason? I remember there was one game vs leafs we were badly outshot, but won 2-1.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
we never shoot the puck.

Also what everyone else said.. we only have 2 dmen on the roster right now that can pass. 3 when Danny D comes back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How was the preseason? I remember there was one game vs leafs we were badly outshot, but won 2-1.
I believe we were outshot nearly every game. I found it a little concerning but didn't make much of it since it was just pre-season.

Under Babcock we were rarely a team that got outshot. And being outshot by the margins we have been in these two Carolina games.. almost never happened.

I don't like it. It's correct that a huge part of the problem is the transition game. I want to see how we do with Dekeyser back before I press the panic button, but we have a lot to work on.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The issue is that the Wings now play a transition type system, but the defensemen are having a tough time keeping up, and that's holding the forwards back. Hopefully DeKeyser can ease some of the pressure. I do agree with calling up Jensen, and possibly Ouellet.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I'm thinking this is exactly where we miss Datsyuk the most--- hus magical zone entries. The guy just never loses the puck upon entering the zone. We could see this on our 2nd powerplay last night--- after the Canes cleared the puck it was a complete disaster.

I imagine once Dats gets back he'll be good for, and he'll create a few shots per game but this type of play isn't going to be sustainable over the long term.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not here to start Bab vs Blash but except our 1st line (and maybe 4th line), we haven't had much success in possession in other teams zone. At this point, if Z's back acts up again, we are totally screwed

But at the same time, there are many ways to win hockey games and for that reason I think it's way too early to point out probable flaws in overall system. I'm a big believer that it's not really the system but execution that counts. It was not a system failure last night, it was effort and compete level failure. which obviously coach should shoulder some blame. We have to give credit to Canes as they have played well but If I'm being honest, it was kinda pathetic actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
just to add some more points about effort

we need more leaders to step up. with Z missing practice already this season, I think Z showing enough leadership just being on ice. He can't ****ing babysit everyone every game. Plus he's showing plenty on ice.

It's time next wave of players to step up and take some ownership of the team.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I'm not here to start Bab vs Blash but except our 1st line (and maybe 4th line), we haven't had much success in possession in other teams zone. At this point, if Z's back acts up again, we are totally screwed

But at the same time, there are many ways to win hockey games and for that reason I think it's way too early to point out probable flaws in overall system. I'm a big believer that it's not really the system but execution that counts. It was not a system failure last night, it was effort and compete level failure. which obviously coach should shoulder some blame. We have to give credit to Canes as they have played well but If I'm being honest, it was kinda pathetic actually.
Disagree...system is extremely important. Babcock's relentless attention to detail and the structure he forced Detroit to play with (constant back pressure and limiting the risk of the d-men making mistakes) was admittedly boring at times but it gave this team the best chance to win. We are not built to play like Tampa or Chicago. We don't have the speed or skill, especially on defense to play that way. I'm fine with Blashill, but either he will have to tailor his system to the players he currently has or Holland needs to completely change the make-up of this club and start wheeling and dealing. If neither happens and we're banking on a 37 year old Datsyuk to make things right this will be a long, difficult season and we will not make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Disagree...system is extremely important. Babcock's relentless attention to detail and the structure he forced Detroit to play with (constant back pressure and limiting the risk of the d-men making mistakes) was admittedly boring at times but it gave this team the best chance to win. We are not built to play like Tampa or Chicago. We don't have the speed or skill, especially on defense to play that way. I'm fine with Blashill, but either he will have to tailor his system to the players he currently has or Holland needs to completely change the make-up of this club and start wheeling and dealing. If neither happens and we're banking on a 37 year old Datsyuk to make things right this will be a long, difficult season and we will not make the playoffs.

If you think about it scoring hasn't really been the problem for Wings for past 4 games. Actually what I'm saying is it is way too early to even talk about systematic problem. I mean Wings lost 1 game and its time for tweak and overhaul? Even we want to, things dont change that fast during the season. I mean, how should Wings go about to increase shot total all of sudden? throw puck aimlessly at goalie? that's not really going to help Wings win the game except it's going to pad some stats.

If Blashil was here for 10 years and things arent working well, we can make a reliable predictions based on his previous NHL seasons but I dont think anyone really knows how this season will go actually. We dont even know what we have. It's not exactly time to call for system flaw or anything. Like I said, if Wings won more 1-1 battles last night starting 3rd period, we wouldn't be here talking about shot total but how excited the game will be against Habs.

I agree shots per game & possession are very good indicators of a good team. Good teams know they can do so much with the puck and they obsess on having the puck. In that sense, I wish our 2nd and 3rd line show up some more and create more chances which I've already went over. But its not end of be all stat. there have been quite a few teams who won the cup without dominating possession. (I'm not so sure about shot/game).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We very clearly miss Datsyuk who is great at driving possession and helps us a lot in the faceoff circle.

Larkin got worked in the faceoff circle like most young players and it is a problem moving him to center this early. Zetterberg was our second highest at 40%. Glendening continues his improvement in the dot just like everywhere else in his game. But right now we could use Helm and Datsyuk. One interesting thing about this is I think we haven't been as aggressive and maybe they are struggling to adjust to the new offensive team gets their sticks down first but it is a problem for puck possession that we have gotten worked in the dot, especially by Carolina.

Also I am starting to get concerned about puck possession monster Tatar... That has not been there this year and we need it. He did it in his callups away from Datsyuk, so I am hopefully it is just a rocky start to the season and he starts driving more play again we need him to.

We need to value the puck more as a team in general and simplify the game. That should also improve as they better grasp the transition elements of this offense. Datsyuk, Helm and DeKeyser should help a lot.

The goal scoring has been pretty consistent and I am encouraged by the shots they are getting and really the fact more the shots they are giving up are not that great. We will see what happens, I don't particularly care if they get out shot but I want to improve the scoring chance ratio and I think they will do that.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
People need to keep in mind that adjusting to the system of a new coach isn't going to happen overnight. We've had the same coach for 10 years. There's gunna be a learning curve. I'm going to give Blashill a lot more than 4 games before turning on him.

Missing Datsyuk, Helm, and DeKeyser certainly hurts our possession abilities as well. Especially Datsyuk. He will entirely change the dynamics of the team all by himself. Suddenly we will have two first lines if needed.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
The Wings have averaged a total of 21.3 shots per game so far. The next worst team in the league is at 24.3.

This isn't meant to panic anyone, or say that the Wings are doomed after 4 games, but once the shooting percentage levels out, they're going to be in serious trouble if they can't get more pucks to the net.

Is it something to do with Blashill's style? On paper the offence looks like the deepest they've had in a long time, and their defence seems to be more involved offensively than in previous years. So why the horrible shot numbers and what needs to be done?

It's definitely very concerning. They need Dats, Dekeyser and Helm back in a bad way.

They seem all out of sorts within their system- everything was a lot more structured under Babcock.

Tatar is usually a possession monster and he's been horrific. Zetterberg has a lot of points but he's been destroyed in shots against and is largely a product of extremely high and unsustainable shooting percentages with him on the ice.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
We've also had among the fewest PP opportunities in the league which likely makes the problem more pronounced than usual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad