Wings Call Up Chelios and Frk

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Sweet. We need more help for the tank as possible. Call up more fellas!

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
At this point I wish we had the moves available to get Bertuzzi, Chelios, Holmstrom, and Lindstrom in the lineup for 1 game.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
At this point I wish we had the moves available to get Bertuzzi, Chelios, Holmstrom, and Lindstrom in the lineup for 1 game.

Who says we don't... You don't know if Ryan Kuffner will all of a sudden come down with the sniffles. Witkowski a splinter in his hand from punching someone's stick.

Maybe AA gets allergic to his gear for three nights and it clears up like a miracle.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
What do you say to your teammate after the game where you put him on the injured list?

"Ha ha, that was crazy... so... did you see that last Walking Dead?"

Reactions: Nugget910

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Over Sulak and Cholowski?

I think Cholowski got his look and now, more importantly, has his list of things to work on in GR. Sulak just doesn't impress me. He hasn't put up better numbers than Chelios, and he's already gotten a short look in Detroit. After Hronek was called up, I'm not sure anyone in GR has necessarily separated themselves from each other. I could see an argument for Hicketts to get another look or even Saarijarvi to get a quick look (and a pro paycheck).

Another thing, I think Chelios is a pro contract in GR. I think McIlrath and Puempel are, too.Part of Detroit's callups might be just giving GR some wiggle room with the number of vets they are allowed to dress on any given night.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I think Cholowski got his look and now, more importantly, has his list of things to work on in GR. Sulak just doesn't impress me. He hasn't put up better numbers than Chelios, and he's already gotten a short look in Detroit. After Hronek was called up, I'm not sure anyone in GR has necessarily separated themselves from each other. I could see an argument for Hicketts to get another look or even Saarijarvi to get a quick look (and a pro paycheck).

Another thing, I think Chelios is a pro contract in GR. I think McIlrath and Puempel are, too.Part of Detroit's callups might be just giving GR some wiggle room with the number of vets they are allowed to dress on any given night.
Chelios has a DRW contract and will be a UFA after the season, same with McIrath. Puempel has a DRW contract that ends after next season

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Chelios, Puempel and McIlrath are the kind of call ups I think are fine when you are a struggling team late in a season. Why not let them play and see if they can bring something we don't have. They are on expiring or soon expiring contracts, so why not see what they got?

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
This is also a decent Payday for these AHL lifer types. When trying to recruit guys for grand rapids to fill out the roster, their agents will see that the Wings do this and feel better about recommending GR as an option.

Also at this point in the year, getting to add any attraction or positive news story about the team is a bonus. Seeing a Chelios is a Wings jersey again was neat, and added something to an inconsequential game.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Chelios, Puempel and McIlrath are the kind of call ups I think are fine when you are a struggling team late in a season. Why not let them play and see if they can bring something we don't have. They are on expiring or soon expiring contracts, so why not see what they got?
McIlrath I've seen enough of already. I don't know what else he's focused on inside the offensive zone besides the puck but he's been caught moving away from the boards a couple times at moments when he was needed to trap the puck inside the blue line. He needs remedial training.

Puempal has been working his ass off like a player who knows that if he can score, it could be worth a million dollar contract. Unfortunately, his production doesn't seem to have improved since Ottawa. For a guy drafted in 2011, I gotta think that he's a career AHL player. Time's about up.

Chelios, we shall see what he does with this moment. But I think though that there's a few defenders ahead of him in Grand Rapids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad