Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Just to put it in perspective that is the equivalent of a Habs fan saying

"Yea, Tatar / Nyquist being out means nothing to me"

Well, no, not really. You're free to think otherwise though.

One of Nyquist or Tatar being out when everyone else is healthy would not and does not make that big of a difference. Hell, prior to this horrid stretch, we had a winning record without Datsyuk. We still might.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
One of Nyquist or Tatar being out when everyone else is healthy would not and does not make that big of a difference. Hell, prior to this horrid stretch, we had a winning record without Datsyuk. We still might.

Montreal is not a good goal scoring team, they're 21st in GF/GP. Losing their best goalscorer who has a bulk of their goals is going to impact them. Especially since their team relies on Carey Price more than most teams in the league. Price is probably the only reason they're 1st in the division.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
the TML get out from under a 7 year contract at 7 million, thats their benefit, they get worse so as to draft higher again next year so as to get better in the long run through the draft. If they add two useful young players, smith and lets say sproul, then its a win-win. Unles the 1st rd pick is from a team picking between 23-30 I do not see a higher pick being included.

the price will go down the further removed from the deadline we get as its quite apparent, even moreso today, that Phaneuf is done in Toronto. Not maybe done or could be done but in fact done. He will not wear their sweater next Sept.

no matter who Phaneuf is traded to the return will not include anything significant

They benefit from getting out from under the contract and the length I agree, but Toronto management may view it as young players may benefit from a veteran presence if they don't feel they are getting an adequate return. You seem certain that Phaneuf is done in Toronto, and I tend to agree but I don't think that means Toronto isn't going to be looking for scraps.

I guess we can agree to disagree but Phaneuf will fetch a first round pick. It may be a 2016 first, but I cannot imagine a situation in which they receive our garbage and don't ask for a 1st out of it. Whether it is from us or another team, he will get 1st or another high-end prospect.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Montreal is not a good goal scoring team, they're 21st in GF/GP. Losing their best goalscorer who has a bulk of their goals is going to impact them. Especially since their team relies on Carey Price more than most teams in the league. Price is probably the only reason they're 1st in the division.

You could just as easily say that because Montreal relies so heavily on Price and defense to win games that one more hit to an already putrid offense isn't going to break them.

I honestly can't even believe I'm having to make this argument. This is hockey. You could remove 99% of players in this league from their otherwise healthy teams and they wouldn't miss a beat. Arguably the only singular loss to a team that could make or break them is a Canadien. And it's not Patches.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
CCKmvizWMAAGHNf.jpg

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Just to put it in perspective that is the equivalent of a Habs fan saying

"Yea, Tatar / Nyquist being out means nothing to me"

Well, no, not really. You're free to think otherwise though.

He's their leading scorer on an offense that is already sub par. It's certainly a big advantage for the Wings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You could just as easily say that because Montreal relies so heavily on Price and defense to win games that one more hit to an already putrid offense isn't going to break them.

I honestly can't even believe I'm having to make this argument. This is hockey. You could remove 99% of players in this league from their otherwise healthy teams and they wouldn't miss a beat. Arguably the only singular loss to a team that could make or break them is a Canadien. And it's not Patches.

I need some context before I really can reply, you're talking on a one game basis right? If Pacioretty is lost for the playoffs, you think the Canadiens wouldn't miss him?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I need some context before I really can reply, you're talking on a one game basis right? If Pacioretty is lost for the playoffs, you think the Canadiens wouldn't miss him?

I'm not saying the Canadiens won't miss him at all. Whenever Patches isn't playing, they'll miss him. What I'm saying is them not having Patches tonight isn't a game breaker. If Price was out? Sure. If Patches was out along with a few others in their top 9? Sure. But Patches being out isn't some ace on the hole for a game. Just like it wouldn't be if any one of our players were out with an otherwise healthy roster.

With respect to the playoffs, it's a different story. You can count on other guys like Gallagher and Plekanec to step up with Pac out but that is often unsustainable long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad