Confirmed with Link: Wings add new Euro Pro Scout, Tommy Boustedt

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Looks like they made some other changes too. Let go two Holland-era guys in Marty Stein, Bruce Haralson as well as Rob Rassey who joined in 2019-2020. New guys are Eric Soltys on the pro side and Corey Crocker & Greg Hawgood on the amateur side. Soltys used to be a pro scout with Calgary and Hawgood was a pro scout for Chicago 2018-2020.

Link: Hockey Operations

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Awesome welcome aboard. I am not sure if he is coming over from this role but in 2002 he became the Swedish Ice Hockey Association's director of youth development. As in development of youth hockey for the entire country.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
A Euro Pro Scout is on the lookout for, what, 25 and older potentials like the next Rafalski type trajectory?

If so, I wonder how many of those scout jobs exist. Did the Wings have one (or several) prior to this guy?

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Awesome welcome aboard. I am not sure if he is coming over from this role but in 2002 he became the Swedish Ice Hockey Association's director of youth development. As in development of youth hockey for the entire country.
He produced some dam good talent over there. Good staff signings by stevie.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
A Euro Pro Scout is on the lookout for, what, 25 and older potentials like the next Rafalski type trajectory?

If so, I wonder how many of those scout jobs exist. Did the Wings have one (or several) prior to this guy?
Basically any free agent signings out of Europe, like Bromé, Kaski, Rybar, Säteri etc.

I don't think they had anyone in Europe scouting just pros, most likely Håkan and the others did that on the side. At least when Bromé was signed Håkan mentioned that he and Thomas Carlsson had been asked for an opinion on Bromé. It could mean they are looking to sign more free agents from Europe, until now it has pretty much been no more than one per year so maybe not worth a dedicated scout.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Red Wings also hired:
Dan Kosinski as Hockey Operations Data Analyst
Dwayne Blais as Player Development Consultant
I'd prefer someone with NHL experience, but this guy does have quite a resume. He's from the Caps (hired July 21014), and that's a pretty skilled team.

I like that they're acknowledging a deficiency and adding development staff.

Edit for clarification: I meant NHL playing experience, he has coached NHL players before.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd prefer someone with NHL experience, but this guy does have quite a resume. He's from the Caps (hired July 21014), and that's a pretty skilled team.

That's what I've been hoping would happen for YEARS. The Wings front office was well behind the curve from 2012 onward.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Revamping the scouting staff after you're neck deep in a rebuild. Okay....
Stevie got rid of Tyler Wright and 3 other guys (IIRC) after the first draft and promoted Draper and hired Rezmeirski and a couple of other scouts. This is just more adjustment. It's never wise to fire an entire staff at once, unless you have the ability to hire an entire staff at once. Stevie didn't have the ability to bring over the entire Tampa staff, so he cherry picked a few guys.

Stevie is rebuilding the front office at the same time he's rebuilding the roster. It's an ongoing process, it's not going to all happen overnight. It's like free agency, see who's available and shoot them an offer.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Pay attention Zadina!

Reactions: bedtime20

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So it kind of:

- Bousted just added on the European side (we have lot of kids there, I think he will be also some kind of developmental link)

- Brandon Naurato left --> Dwayne Blais on the development side
- Haralson pro scout --> Soltys on pro side
- Stein amateur scout --> Crocker on amateur side
- Rassey amateur scout --> Hawgood on amateur side

- Dan Kocinski - just added Data Analyst

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Red Wings front office:
Marian Ilitch, Owner & Secretary-Treasurer
Chris Ilitch, Governor, President and CEO
Jim Devellano, Sr. Vice President & Alternate Governor
Steve Yzerman, Executive Vice President & General Manager
Pat Verbeek, Assistant General Manager
Niklas Kronwall, European Player Development(new title)
Bryan Campbell, Director of Statistical Analysis & Hockey Administration
Dan Kosinski, Hockey Operations Data Analyst
Jiri Fischer, Associate Director of Player Personnel
Shawn Horcoff, Director of Player Development & Assistant Director of Player Personnel
Dan Cleary, Assistant Director of Player Development
Dwayne Blais, Player Development Consultant

Mark Howe, Director of Pro Scouting
Tommy Boustedt, European Pro Scout
Eric Soltys, Pro Scout
Kirk Maltby, Pro Scout
Kyle Mackinnon, Pro Scout
Chris Yzerman, Pro Scout

Kris Draper, Director of Amateur Scouting
Ryan Rezmierski, Chief Amateur Scout
Jesse Wallin, Chief Amateur Scout
Kelly Harper, Amateur Scout
Brendan Flemming, Amateur Scout
Mark Mullen, Amateur Scout
Ross Yates, Amateur Scout
Bryce Thoma, Amateur Scout
Kevin Gibson, Amateur Scout
Corey Crocker, Amateur Scout
Greg Hawgood, Amateur Scout

Phil Osaer, Head of Goaltending Scouting and Development

Hakan Andersson, Director Of European Scouting
Vladimir Havluj Sr. , European Scout
Antonin Routa Jr. , European Scout
Nikolai Vakourov, European Scout
Thomas Carlsson, European Scout

Reactions: David D and Henkka

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
The Detroit Red Wings continue to be remade in the image of general manager Steve Yzerman, who is putting his stamp on the team after the organization was hamstrung for several years by poor decisions from ex-GM Ken Holland.
And now, there are two more changes within the team. Longtime scouts Bruce Haralson and Marty Stein are no longer with the club, and have been replaced. With the departures, pro scouting director Mark Howe, pro scout Kirk Maltby and amateur scout Kelly Harper are the only holdovers from the Holland era.
Haralson's tenure with the Red Wings lasted nearly three decades, starting as am amateur scout and then having spent the last 12 years as a professional scout. Meanwhile, Stein had served as an amateur scout for Detroit dating back to 1996. Additionally, Rob Rassey departs Detroit after two seasons as an amateur scout to become the new Director & Head of Hockey for Total Package Hockey’s Chicago Center of Excellence.
According to author Bob Duff of Detroit Hockey Now, Tommy Boustedt and Eric Soltys are coming aboard as professional scouts, while Greg Hawgood and Corey Crocker are joining as amateur scouts.
Crocker, who will be scouting the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, had previously served as the head instructor for the Newfoundland hockey school run by former Red Wings forward Dan Cleary, who is now in Detroit's front office. Meanwhile, Hagwood had spent the last three seasons as a scout with the Chicago Blackhawks.
Boustedt arrives after having served as general secretary of the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation, while Soltys had served as a scout with the Calgary Flames from 2013-21.
Share on Facebook

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jiri Fischer is who they have always pointed to on this kind of stuff, I think they are probably freeing him up in that particular area.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Stevie got rid of Tyler Wright and 3 other guys (IIRC) after the first draft and promoted Draper and hired Rezmeirski and a couple of other scouts. This is just more adjustment. It's never wise to fire an entire staff at once, unless you have the ability to hire an entire staff at once. Stevie didn't have the ability to bring over the entire Tampa staff, so he cherry picked a few guys.

Stevie is rebuilding the front office at the same time he's rebuilding the roster. It's an ongoing process, it's not going to all happen overnight. It's like free agency, see who's available and shoot them an offer.
That's true. Stevie "got rid" of the staff that was in place when we drafted Seider who is closer to a can't miss than any prospect in the entire system.
I would be more confident if Murray was willing to follow Yzerman but given the option he said thanks but, no thanks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With the departures, pro scouting director Mark Howe, pro scout Kirk Maltby and amateur scout Kelly Harper are the only holdovers from the Holland era.

It's kind of funny, how Yzerman and Verbeek are Ken Holland signings. Yzerman multiple times, but also brought in Verbeek as a scout.

Yzerman also likes very much of Holland-signed Blashill.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's true. Stevie "got rid" of the staff that was in place when we drafted Seider who is closer to a can't miss than any prospect in the entire system.
I would be more confident if Murray was willing to follow Yzerman but given the option he said thanks but, no thanks.
Hakan still works for the Wings as do all of his Holland era staff for European amateur scouting. The changes here were to the pro scouts.

Some of the stuff you say really makes the rest of us wonder if you're even a Wings fan.

TonyOOoohh

Jun 12, 2019
A little more on the analytics guy we hired Dan Kosinski, from his linkedin page:
As a hobby, I have also done extensive research into what public sources of NHL data are available. Through my research into the available data, I have identified ways of integrating much of it together to provide more contextual and insightful metrics for team and player performance. Part of this involved writing custom VBA code to interact with the NHL API, parse numerous other NHL data sources, integrate all of these disparate data sources together and then export this processed information into a Microsoft Access Database. Then I worked within Microsoft Access to build flexible queries with this processed data to allow for drilling down into which teams and players performed best in different situations. The work that I performed in this area was presented at the 2019 Seattle Hockey Analytics Conference (SeaHAC) in my presentation “Utilizing Publicly Available NHL Data to Evaluate Situational Team and Player Performance”.

Reactions: opivy and Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kosinski seems to be my soulmate. I've also done my own database from public sources, and merged multiple of them, because everytime on certain single stat-site, it didn't feel that it's enough.

But merging things, it opened the "real" things. It was eye opening, things started to match with eye-test etc.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good to see Stevie is methodically improving all aspects of the organization. There was a lot of rot at the tail end of the Holland era. I have no idea how any of these guys will do, I'm just happy that Yzerman is making changes and is likely making good hires that will improve the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad