Post-Game Talk: Wings 5 Leafs 4 OT

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Two games left and they better give one to Jones to have him ready for the playoffs because Sammy is broken again.

I would rather start Murray for a game... does everyone only remember the first 10 games of Jones' time being the starter this year?

These are the last 5 games he started.

GA | SV%
3 | .885
2 | .905
4 | .871
6 | .714
3 | .885

Realistically, Woll or Samsanov need to be ready, so pick one and make it work, but our depth should have Murray at 3 over Jones.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I would rather start Murray for a game... does everyone only remember the first 10 games of Jones' time being the starter this year?

These are the last 5 games he started.

GA | SV%
3 | .885
2 | .905
4 | .871
6 | .714
3 | .885

Realistically, Woll or Samsanov need to be ready, so pick one and make it work, but our depth should have Murray at 3 over Jones.

On the season though he has a better GAA and win percentage than either Samsonov or Woll, while playing only three games fewer than Woll. And bringing up Murray is pointless as he's as fragile as a piece of fine China. Murray could hurt his hip tilting to rip a good fart.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
On the season though he has a better GAA and win percentage than either Samsonov or Woll, while playing only three games fewer than Woll. And bringing up Murray is pointless as he's as fragile as a piece of fine China. Murray could hurt his hip tilting to rip a good fart.

Well, the issue is Jones historically is bad, and after the cinderella run of about 10 games has reverted back to a sub .900 goalie...

He's a fine #3, but Murray is better than him and Samsanov and Woll are both clearly better than him as well.

Reactions: arso40

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Samsonov stinks worse than the stinkiest stink that ever stunk.

The leafs Vezina candidate had an .850 SV% tonight. I think I jinxed him. Or maybe it's just the unstable headcase who stinks in the playoffs showing his true colours.

The Leafs got a taste of playoffs style hockey against a desperate team tonight and wilted.

The playoffs are what separate the men from the boys. And this team has repeatedly proven to be a bunch of mama's boys. These softies just don't care if they win or lose.

When you can't get it done time and again I guess complacency is better than nothing.

The team is about as playoffs ready as I've ever seen them. I suppose this year could be different and they go on a Cinderella run all the way to the finals. One time my blind cat grew wings and cooked me dinner.

Miracles happen.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
It was a big deal. If they lost they’re probably done. Now they need WSH to drop 1 point and they control their fate with 2 games against Montreal.
that's still a pretty long chain of events that need to go their way in order to get in

I thought you were going to say that if they beat the Leafs tonight they make the playoffs, which is why they were partying so hard after that overtime win

But instead now they need to wait on Washington.. and then wait to see what happens in their next 2 games beyond that? lol there's still a ways to go, that celebration tonight was a little premature for sure but hey a win is a win and they have every right to be excited, whatever floats the red wing boat

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Two games left and they better give one to Jones to have him ready for the playoffs because Sammy is broken again.

Winning is entertaining. I don't care if they play the damned trap, I just want them to win.
“winning is how you spell fun”, the not so great Houston Dale Nutt.

I wish they played a trap and forechecked. They’re not alone, the whole league plays glorified shinny.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Samsonov stinks worse than the stinkiest stink that ever stunk.

The leafs Vezina candidate had an .850 SV% tonight. I think I jinxed him. Or maybe it's just the unstable headcase who stinks in the playoffs showing his true colours.

The Leafs got a taste of playoffs style hockey against a desperate team tonight and wilted.

The playoffs are what separate the men from the boys. And this team has repeatedly proven to be a bunch of mama's boys. These softies just don't care if they win or lose.

When you can't get it done time and again I guess complacency is better than nothing.

The team is about as playoffs ready as I've ever seen them. I suppose this year could be different and they go on a Cinderella run all the way to the finals. One time my blind cat grew wings and cooked me dinner.

Miracles happen.
You make it sound like we’re an 80 point team that can’t win against good teams. We’ve beaten the Panthers, Rangers, Colorado,Dallas,Vegas, etc. Despite pre Christmas sieve-like performances by Samsonov and decimated defence at times, we’ve managed 102 points thus far. This team looks like the most playoff ready team we’ve had in the past 8 years. Goaltending will be the difference on whether we succeed in the playoffs, more so than our “soft” team.

Reactions: Menzinger

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I mean the toronto maple leafs also celebrated the connor brown GWG against the pittsburgh penguins back in 2016-17 pretty hard. Brown and Kadri jumping on the ice lol.

we've been lucky enough to witness a team make the playoffs relatively easily for 8 straight years so it must be forgotten, but this is pretty standard for teams who aren't like us. Whether it's just a fluke year, or a sign of a finishing rebuild the players are going to be pumped

I don't really get the problem with them celebrating it, matthews celebrated 60 goals like he scored the GWG in the cup. He'll do the same for 70, I think they should be able to do the same for a very important game for their playoff lives
Agreed all around.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Wish we had this version of McCabe last playoffs. Seems he needed time to carve his role. The confidence level is sky high right now and he's become one of my favorite bottom 4.

Acclimation can take some time. Another reason why you need to favor trading for guys with term, or adding them early in the season instead of > half way through. It's not always as simple as adding the right guy in a chemistry based sport. When you add them plays a huge role as well.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Bad goaltending early and a huge focus on trying to get Matthews to 70 got them off their game.

In the end, the playoffs are set and if they want to get Matthews and Willy to their milestones, I wouldn't be mad.

Just please no more injuries (please be OK McMann!) and be ready for the playoffs.

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
On the plus side, Knies is starting to return to the power forward we want and he would be an interesting fourth line threat come playoffs.

Robertson looked great with increased ice time too, a regular shift, he had a nice rhythm and was a threat almost every shift.

Marner was 200 feet last night, smart all over the ice and driving his line. Good luck to the opposition matchups if the second line looks this potent.

Benoit is so goddam steady back there, he is so smart on the wall too, neutralizing his man, allowing support to clear the zone, under rated aspect. He’s a no brainer top six playoffs for me.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Knies-Kampf-Robertson would be a nice 4th line threat once Keefe has to reinsert Jarncrook but I doubt we see it as the toughness Reaves could provide or the PKing of Dewar would be seen as bigger assets than the pure scoring skill of Robertson.

A nice problem to have. Injuries aren't a problem with our roster.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Highs:
-Matthews is a legend. He can score in so many ways. Should have had 70 but Reimer played well.
-Robertson got us started with a terrific rush and goal.
-I liked Benoit's steady game.
-Knies continues to hustle but has to watch the careless penalties
-I admire the team's fighting back after the 4-1 deficit.

Lows:
-Samsonov cannot allow that 4th goal in any game, nevermind a playoff game
-Rielly cost us two goals in the first. He has to stop his gambling and play defence. He seems to be laboring in his skating. He needs to sit the next 2 games.
-Domi's penalty was idiotic on his part.
-Brodie gave the puck away too many times when pressured. He's terrible on the PK, especially clearing pucks.
--I don't like Nylander's game right now. He's fanning on shots, careless with the puck at times, a defensive liability again, etc. He and Rielly better pick up their games in the playoffs.

Most important thing is to get past these next few games healthy and ready for the playoffs. I hope the McCabe and McMann injuries aren't too bad. I breathed a sigh of relief when Matthews crashed into the boards.
I breathed a sigh of relief when he got up.

Reactions: TMLife17

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Just saw the OT winner replay. What in the actual f*** was Brodie doing there? He had no other role than to cover Larkin. There was already someone waiting to block a possible point shot. SMH

He's just been so soft and ineffective this whole season (and last) it's like he's allergic to the rough stuff and is preserving his body already for retirement.

He's been responsible for so many GWG all the backlash he gets is warranted. He is playing on auto pilot with no passion , desire or intensity.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Just saw the OT winner replay. What in the actual f*** was Brodie doing there? He had no other role than to cover Larkin. There was already someone waiting to block a possible point shot. SMH

that's bad.

Brodie out there in OT is next level galaxy brain by Keefe.
Keefe really is a part of the problem.
Surprised JT wasn't a forward out there.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Terrible pinch by Rielly.

WOW does he look slow backchecking.

The Leafs give up a stupid number of odd man rushes and Rielly is big part of the problem.

People say it's deflating for a goalie to give up a goal on the first shot.
It's also deflating to gift Alex DeBrincat an odd man rush 1 min after our 1-0 goal and it end up in the back of the net.

Reactions: Al14 and rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad