Post-Game Talk: Wings 1 - Pens 5 - The ColePens Gets Horny (And Then Takes Out ZAR) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
+Riikola had more than 12 minutes.
I saw! Not physically, cos I missed the game, but I saw his toi.

I was going to say what you said, but I gotta watch my Riikola praising around here or I'll get some silly labeled.
But I gotta say, if I was a Sith Lord and I had to take one penguin as an apprentice... it would be Riikola.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Dumo coming back would solve all problems. Letang Dumo is one of the best D pairings in the league. Marino Pettersson is a solid #2. JJ Schultz is a solid #3 pairing. Ruh and Rikola are reliable bench guys.

Depends on which Dumo shows up. If it's the 2018 version that tries to play like Letang then they are a disaster. I rather Letang be with JJ and a more responsible d partner.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Lafferty's stick is the last Penguins stick to touch it. It was actually put in from a Detroit players (Green) stick and Lafferty had the last two touches before that. It never touched Horny or his stick in any way.

Wait what? Hornqvist lost his 1st goal to Lafferty? the puck went off his leg and in.

Yeah. @Ugene Malkin 'splains it post #100.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I saw! Not physically, cos I missed the game, but I saw his toi.

I was going to say what you said, but I gotta watch my Riikola praising around here or I'll get some silly labeled.
But I gotta say, if I was a Sith Lord and I had to take one penguin as an apprentice... it would be Riikola.

I don't quite get the Riikola hate either. I think he's got all the tools to be a solid 5-6 guy and he's got a noticeable physical edge at a bargain price. Honestly, I'd rather him than JJ fill that spot, especially if we can stop playing him on his off-side.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't quite get the Riikola hate either. I think he's got all the tools to be a solid 5-6 guy and he's got a noticeable physical edge at a bargain price. Honestly, I'd rather him than JJ fill that spot, especially if we can stop playing him on his off-side.

He looks great with tang too. JJ... not so much.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Depends on which Dumo shows up. If it's the 2018 version that tries to play like Letang then they are a disaster. I rather Letang be with JJ and a more responsible d partner.
Dumo is one of the most dependable Dman in the league. There's no one better to be Letang's partner than Dumo. It's no coincidence that Letang's play has dipped without Dumo.

It's pretty clear that JJ isn't the best option to be Tang's partner.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

@LOGiK also said that Riikola is a #1D after the Habs game, which is why they also just said they need to watch their Riiko praising. :laugh:

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@LOGiK also said that Riikola is a #1D after the Habs game, which is why they also just said they need to watch their Riiko praising. :laugh:
first pairing d man potential- yup.
I still stand by it too! DAMN YOU ALL!
I mean he already gets paired with tang... just not playing 20 minute games.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
first pairing d man yup.
I still stand by it too! DAMN YOU ALL!
I mean he already gets paired with tang... just not playing 20 minute games.

By that logic, JJ is a top pairing D.

Riikola’s problem has been classic. The board got overly excited in the preseason and decided he was a top 4 defenseman. The season he came in was tough because they had Schultz out for most of it, the JJ problem and the team not playing defense. I think he could be a bottom pairing D, which is disappointing after the premature hype, but Sullivan doesn’t seem to see him like that and that means he’s unlikely to reach the actual potential he has here.

I think he’s pretty physically gifted but the IQ isn’t there. He should probably get a number of shifts with Letang right now for Letang’s mental health.

Reactions: Peat

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Dumo is one of the most dependable Dman in the league. There's no one better to be Letang's partner than Dumo. It's no coincidence that Letang's play has dipped without Dumo.

It's pretty clear that JJ isn't the best option to be Tang's partner.

Debatable, we are winning games. Almost 1st in Metro which looked impossible. Letangs play has dipped but we are a better team. I know that means nothing to Letang but yeah.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Riikola’s problem has been classic. The board got overly excited in the preseason and decided he was a top 4 defenseman. The season he came in was tough because they had Schultz out for most of it, the JJ problem and the team not playing defense. I think he could be a bottom pairing D, which is disappointing after the premature hype, but Sullivan doesn’t seem to see him like that and that means he’s unlikely to reach the actual potential he has here.

I think he’s pretty physically gifted but the IQ isn’t there. He should probably get a number of shifts with Letang right now for Letang’s mental health.
I see a gogo junior in riikola. too bad riikola is kinda up there in age for getting started later in the nhl.
still has potential.
i gotta run out the door thats why i didn't really have much behind my post.
ill be back tonight.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Debatable, we are winning games. Almost 1st in Metro which looked impossible. Letangs play has dipped but we are a better team. I know that means nothing to Letang but yeah.
This has nothing to do with what we're talking about, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Letang. Why did you mention this?

We were winning games without Crosby too. So in your mind Crosby deserves to sit?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Better hill to die on then a lot of hills some unique posters have if that is a positive.
yeah.
I mean its just my opinion.
Nothing crazy.... maybe im right... maybe im wrong. no big deal. Don't see why people freak the hell out when I said it.
I felt the same way about gogo when the penguins got him...
gotta run out the door though..

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeaaaaaah, I don't think that's a good post. But hey, I can cut a fellow cinephile a little slack, as long as watches the proper cut of Metropolis. :|

???

fk6xrffbdvf41.jpg

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This has nothing to do with what we're talking about, and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Letang. Why did you mention this?

We were winning games without Crosby too. So in your mind Crosby deserves to sit?

I'm saying Letang needs a more defensive minded d partner. Over the years Dumo has started playing like Letang and they give up odd man rushes/breakaways galore. That doesn't happen with JJ/Letang.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'm saying Letang needs a more defensive minded d partner. Over the years Dumo has started playing like Letang and they give up odd man rushes/breakaways galore. That doesn't happen with JJ/Letang.
Dumo is one of the best defensive players in the league. You're not gonna find a better partner for Letang than Dumo.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Dumo is one of the best defensive players in the league. You're not gonna find a better partner for Letang than Dumo.

Just because they are good defensemen doesn't mean they are a perfect fit. Look at Karlsson/Burns.. Two defensemen who can actually win the Norris and complete dumpster fire together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Riikola thing is a reaction against perceived (and in LOGiK's case, definite) overhyping, particularly of a sort driven by refusing to consider quality of competition.

Sometimes I question his physical gifts. He skates well, but I don't think he's an elite skater. He can definitely cause damage when he lines people up, but he often seems to lack strength in board battles. Obviously his reach isn't the blueliner ideal. I guess pretty physically gifted is fair if you consider most NHL dmen are very physically gifted in one area. There's nothing Riikola's awful at, but nothing outstanding.

The IQ thing does seem to be the big one though. He looks like a guy who's always looking for a hero play - the big shot, the big hit. A little more patience wouldn't seem to go amiss. I was reminded of what @ColePens said about Sully's quote about not just banging it out around the glass maybe being aimed at Riikola. He's an NHL talent, no doubt of it, but a better sense of what he can and can't do would go a huge way.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Just because they are good defensemen doesn't mean they are a perfect fit. Look at Karlsson/Burns.. Two defensemen who can actually win the Norris and complete dumpster fire together.
But they are a perfect fit. They've been a great pairing for several seasons now. Letang almost won a Norris and Conn Smythe with Dumo by his side.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Not that I trust anything this guy has to say, but he says the coaching staff think he still hasn’t adjusted to NA ice size, is slow in his development and for that reason hasn’t been good defensively...not sure I agree but I like him playing 3rd pair minutes...

It’s Complicated: Riikola, or Trade for Defense Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad