Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
WINGERZ

lets keep all winger acquisition talk here.

Player​
|
Shoots
|
Current Team
|
Playoffs
|
Cap Hit
|
Signed Till
|
Role
|
Attainability

Corey Perry|
RW/RHS​
|
27​
|
Anaheim​
|
In Contention​
|
$5,325,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Dream​
|Pending UFA

Bobby Ryan|
RW/RHS​
|
25​
|
Anaheim​
|
In Contention​
|
$5,100,000​
|
2014-15​
|
Crosby's Dream​
|Pure Fantasy

Thomas Vanek |
LW/RHS​
|
29​
|
Buffalo​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$7,142,857​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Sniper​
|ein Mann Verbrennung

Drew Stafford|
RW/RHS​
|
27​
|
Buffalo​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$4,000,000​
|
2014-15​
|
Crosby's School-Chum
|Playing on Third Line

Alex Semin|
RW/RHS​
|
28​
|
Carolina​
|
In Contention​
|
$7,000,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Hired Gun​
|Pending UFA

RJ Umberger|
LW/LHS​
|
30​
|
Columbus​
|
Not Likely​
|
$4,600,000​
|
2016-17​
|
Malkin's Kunitz?​
|Burdensome Contract?

Alex Tanguay|
LW/LHS​
|
33​
|
Calgary​
|
Not Likely​
|
$3,500,000​
|
2015-16​
|
Crosby's Third Wheel​
|Impending Youth Movement?

Curtis Glencross|
LW/LHS​
|
30​
|
Calgary​
|
No Likely​
|
$2,550,000​
|
2014-15​
|
Crosby's Third Wheel​
|Hockey Trade?

Jarome Iginla|
RW/RHS​
|
35​
|
Calgary​
|
Not Likely​
|
$7,000,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Olympian​
|Pending UFA, Bourque-ing

Lee Stempniak|
RW/RHS​
|
30​
|
Calgary​
|
Not Likely​
|
$2,500,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Lee Remick
|Impending Youth Movement?

Viktor Stålberg|
RW/LHS​
|
27​
|
Chicago​
|
In Contention​
|
$875,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's TFK?​
|Ample Forward Depth?

Jamie McGinn|
LW/LHS​
|
24​
|
Colorado​
|
Not Likely​
|
$1,750,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Kunitz​
|Ample Forward Depth?

David Jones|
RW/RHS​
|
28​
|
Colorado​
|
Not Likely​
|
$4,000,000​
|
2015-16​
|
Crosby's Pop-Star
|Ample Forward Depth?

Ray Whitney|
LW/RHS​
|
40​
|
Dallas​
|
In Contention​
|
$4,500,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Wizard​
|Ample Forward Depth?

Brenden Morrow|
LW/LHS​
|
34​
|
Dallas​
|
In Contention​
|
$4,100,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Guerin​
|busted down and worn out

Jaromír Jágr|
RW/LHS​
|
40​
|
Dallas​
|
In Contention​
|
$4,550,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Troll​
|Pending UFA, Nostalgia

Michael Ryder|
RW/RHS​
|
32​
|
Dallas​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,500,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Sniper​
|Pending UFA

Johan Franzen |
RW/LHS​
|
33​
|
Detroit​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,954,545​
|
2019-20​
|
Crosby's Mule​
|Dat Contract, Dat Inconsistency

Aleš Hemský|
RW/RHS​
|
29​
|
Edmonton​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$5,000,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Playmaker​
|Youth Movement?

Magnus Pääjärvi|
LW/LHS​
|
21​
|
Edmonton​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$1,525,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Malkin's Kunitz?​
|Ample Forward Depth?

Alexei Kovalev|
RW/LHS​
|
39​
|
Florida​
|
Not Likely​
|
$1,450,000​
|
2012-13​
| |TDL Seller?

Peter Mueller|
RW/RHS​
|
24​
|
Florida​
|
Not Likely​
|
$1,725,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Running Mate​
|TDL Seller?

Charlie Coyle|
RW/RHS​
|
20​
|
Minnesota​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$975,000​
|
2014-15​
|
Crosby's Neal​
|Ample Forward Depth?

Dany Heatley|
LW/LHS​
|
32​
|
Minnesota​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$7,500,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Not Crosby's Driver​
|Burdensome Contract?

PM Bouchard|
LW/LHS​
|
28​
|
Minnesota​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$4,080,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Quiet Room Bud​
|Pending UFA

Devin Setoguchi|
RW/RHS​
|
26​
|
Minnesota​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$3,000,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Neal​
|Hockey Trade?

Brian Gionta|
RW/RHS​
|
34​
|
Montréal​
|
In Contention​
|
$5,000,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Midget​
|Overpriced Veteran

Colin Wilson|
LW/LHS​
|
23​
|
Nashville​
|
In Contention​
|
$2,000,000​
|
2014-15​
|
Crosby's Neal​
|Hockey Trade?

Patric Hörnqvist|
RW/RHS​
|
26​
|
Nashville​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,083,333​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Net-Front Screen​
|Pending RFA

Nino Niederreiter|
RW/LHS​
|
20​
|
NY Islanders​
|
On the Bubble​
|
$2,795,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Neal​
| Katie Strang Report

Radim Vrbata|
RW/RHS​
|
31​
|
Phoenix​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,000,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Crosby's Sniper​
|Hockey Trade?

Ryane Clowe|
LW/LHS​
|
30​
|
San Jose​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,625,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Kunitz​
|Pending UFA

Chris Stewart|
RW/RHS​
|
25​
|
St. Louis​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,000,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Neal​
|Little Hope, RFA, Hockey Trade?

Ryan Malone|
LW/LHS​
|
33​
|
Tampa Bay​
|
In Contention​
|
$4,500,000​
|
2014-15​
| |Overpaid Veteran

Clarke MacArthur|
LW/LHS​
|
27​
|
Toronto​
|
In Contention​
|
$3,250,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Big Chief
|Underwhelming Performance, UFA

Николай Кулёмин|
LW/LHS​
|
26​
|
Toronto​
|
In Contention​
|
$2,800,000​
|
2013-14​
|
Malkin's BFF
|Underwhelming Performance

Blake Wheeler|
RW/RHS​
|
26​
|
Winnipeg​
|
Not Likely​
|
$2,550,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Tyger​
|Little Hope, Pending RFA

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
thread title comes from a reference in William Gaddis's The Recognitions, perhaps the most important American novel since Moby Dick.

page 11.44 - a time before death entered the world, before accident:

this is from Lang's Magic and Religion (85): "Early men, contrary to Mr. Frazer's account, suppose themselves to be naturally immortal. The myths of perhaps all races tell of a time when death had not yet entered the world. Man was born deathless. Death came in by an accident, or in consequence of an error, or an infraction of a divine command."

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The thing is, I think they are planning as if they will have to resign Malkin and Letang after the season, and I think they wont be trying to pin themselves at the cap with wingers unless they really get a great get. While they may have made a bid on Paraise in the offseason, I think you would have to see that kind of multitool established player be available before they give up assets and long term cap space to get someone.

We more likely will see a deal where we pick up someone in a slide or on the outs and cheap than a blockbuster deal. While most of us think the team could use a guy with a consistantly high shooting percentage on the first line over Dupris, and absolutely needs to find someone who can pull defenders off of malkin and make plays to get neal the puck when Malkin is covered, Im not sure the front office thinks they are as high a priority as we do. The coaching staff seems ok with grinders making up the bulk of the top 6. There just might not be the thought pattern that we need to move guys ASAP, especially since the backlogged prospect defenders are mostly younger.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The thing is, I think they are planning as if they will have to resign Malkin and Letang after the season, and I think they wont be trying to pin themselves at the cap with wingers unless they really get a great get. While they may have made a bid on Paraise in the offseason, I think you would have to see that kind of multitool established player be available before they give up assets and long term cap space to get someone.

We more likely will see a deal where we pick up someone in a slide or on the outs and cheap than a blockbuster deal. While most of us think the team could use a guy with a consistantly high shooting percentage on the first line over Dupris, and absolutely needs to find someone who can pull defenders off of malkin and make plays to get neal the puck when Malkin is covered, Im not sure the front office thinks they are as high a priority as we do. The coaching staff seems ok with grinders making up the bulk of the top 6. There just might not be the thought pattern that we need to move guys ASAP, especially since the backlogged prospect defenders are mostly younger.
\
Theres really no reason to worry about the cap. The way i see it everything works out great. This season we get alteast one winger with the highest cap space being 5 million. That will be even lower if niskanen is involved. So going into next season we are up to the cap. Then at next years deadline shero trades orpik/martin for lets say abruising defencemen and a pick. That roughly gives us 3-4 million to resign malkin and letang. Then slowly if our prospects start panning alot of our defence should be on elc's by then im pretty sure the cap increases by a couple million.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would LOVE Stalberg on this team. The guy is huge, skates like the wind, has skills, and he actually uses his size. He's one of the wingers on the Hawks I hope Shero goes after this summer when he hits UFA status.

I was crushing on the guy's skill when he was a Leaf.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Some teams employ a radical theory of drafting and developing wingers.

Pfft, like we need those. Shero is gonna go out and get Ryan O'reilly, and it's totally gonna own because we'll have like 4 great centers. Yeah, we lost Staal, but Shero is about to unveil the new model, the 4C model. Crosby-Geno-Sutter-ROR down the middle. No team will be able to match up with it.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
What would it take to get Grabner? Seems ideal for Crosby with his speed and finish.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Some teams employ a radical theory of drafting and developing wingers.

I think we'll start to see some of the NCAA guys enter the picture next season. Between Hanowksi, Wilson, Archibald and Agostino I'm pretty sure they'll have at least one late round gem there. Agostino in particular looks to be a good bet to be a solid top 9 winger.

I understand most people just look at the first two rounds when discussing what a team does at the draft, but the Pens favor NCAA talent and those guys tend to slip. All four of those guys would be highly coveted if they were NCAA UFAs this spring.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
What would it take to get Grabner? Seems ideal for Crosby with his speed and finish.

Not convinced he'll ever have a big offensive year again. I think he's somewhat overrated because of his speed. We could do worse but I wouldn't move any type of substantial roster asset for him.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
After having to suffer through the Satan, Comrie, Kovalev and to some extent Sullivan reclamation projects, i was unpleasantly surprised that RS didn't bring in Boyes. I always thought he was a great candidate for a winger who was capable of maximizing an elite C while not being that great on his own. 4g8A +1 better than Semin in each for $1mil. I mean Jesus that's less than we're paying Glass

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
\
Theres really no reason to worry about the cap. The way i see it everything works out great. This season we get alteast one winger with the highest cap space being 5 million. That will be even lower if niskanen is involved. So going into next season we are up to the cap. Then at next years deadline shero trades orpik/martin for lets say abruising defencemen and a pick. That roughly gives us 3-4 million to resign malkin and letang. Then slowly if our prospects start panning alot of our defence should be on elc's by then im pretty sure the cap increases by a couple million.

We have ~10m in cap space. Prorated, that means we can afford something like 40m in salaries at the deadline (and almost every other team is in the same situation).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
After having to suffer through the Satan, Comrie, Kovalev and to some extent Sullivan reclamation projects, i was unpleasantly surprised that RS didn't bring in Boyes. I always thought he was a great candidate for a winger who was capable of maximizing an elite C while not being that great on his own. 4g8A +1 better than Semin in each for $1mil. I mean Jesus that's less than we're paying Glass

I mentioned him on here this summer along with Mueller. I was told that he was done. And that his 8g 23pts last season wasn't needed here.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Pfft, like we need those. Shero is gonna go out and get Ryan O'reilly, and it's totally gonna own because we'll have like 4 great centers. Yeah, we lost Staal, but Shero is about to unveil the new model, the 4C model. Crosby-Geno-Sutter-ROR down the middle. No team will be able to match up with it.

the Pens are the NHL's first "Centipede Model" team. deep down the middle, limp and flimsy on the wings.

maxpenguins6630

Apr 13, 2004
The player I would dream of having here is Wheeler and I want him from a long time ago... Speed, hits, great hands though he needs to improve os defense...

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
With Despres being scratched today, maybe he will be expendable in Shero's eyes afterall.
If he does get moved to Minny, I hope a young player like Phillips (w/ Seto in a packaged 2-2 deal) or 1-1 with Coyle comes our way.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
With Despres being scratched today, maybe he will be expendable in Shero's eyes afterall.
If he does get moved to Minny, I hope a young player like Phillips (w/ Seto in a packaged 2-2 deal) or 1-1 with Coyle comes our way.

He's scratched??? Where did you hear that?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
kay that's stupid, depres is a physical player, he may not be overly physical but he gets the job done

I think it was more an expectation of rough stuff after the whistle if I understood the sentiment correctly. Something that I'd rather leave to Bort than Despres. One of them has no business fighting.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I think it was more an expectation of rough stuff after the whistle if I understood the sentiment correctly. Something that I'd rather leave to Bort than Despres. One of them has no business fighting.

now that you put it that way i agree

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
yeah, sitting Despres has everything to do with Buffalo being very physical. Can't hurt to get Bortuzzo more time, but you don't take Engelland out in this matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad