Confirmed with Link: Wingels re-signed to 3-year deal. $7.4 million ($2.47 cap hit)

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
How a GM is measured with regards to whether they maintain their position doesn't necessarily speak to whether they're a poor GM or not. It's all relative to their expectations. Not every GM comes into a position with the expectation of winning the Cup. Their job performance can be based on foresight if the expectations line up to where it is necessary to look at that. DW's expectations have not been that. When your goals and expectations are championship level then hindsight is generally what will go into it.

Now he's attempting to reset expectations which may change things depending on how truthful he is to those words. I don't think this signing says anything to that one way or the other because Wingels is a player that can help now and in a rebuild. In a rebuild, cap dollars isn't that much of a concern in most cases.

Ok, they are all valid points and I don't disagree with any of them.

Do I take it you disapprove of the reset of expectations and would therefore like to see Wilson removed? If so, who would like to see replace him?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ok, they are all valid points and I don't disagree with any of them.

Do I take it you disapprove of the reset of expectations and would therefore like to see Wilson removed? If so, who would like to see replace him?

Not necessarily. I wouldn't disapprove of either avenue as long as it's not a half-measure. A rebuild is certainly a valid avenue to pursue but if Thornton, Marleau, and Pavelski are still on the team, I have a hard time believing that they will make significant headway in that department. I don't know if DW is capable of a rebuild as he hasn't attempted one yet.

In general with regards to replacements, if one were necessary, it's difficult to see replacements because there's no telling who is available. Sometimes, it's internal of which the Sharks do have an option there in Joe Will. More often it's external among the many, many folks in other teams' operational departments and that's all about timing. There are certainly qualified candidates out there at any given time and plenty of guys I would've given the opportunity to here if the spot was open like Jim Nill, Jarmo Kekalainen, Steve Yzerman, among a few others that found their way to a spot recently.

I would keep my eye on Rob Blake and see how he does in the Assistant GM role of LA as well as Norm MacIver in Chicago. The assistants in winning organizations can be the next one in terms of being a quality GM...hence why Joe Will has been discussed at times here and occasionally outside.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
Awesome deal. I'm guessing that Jamie McGinn's contract extension was used as a comp ($2.95), considering that many people on here think that McGinn became expendable when Wingels showed a good ceiling.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Solid signing. Almost makes up for the John Scott fiasco.

Wonder if he's gonna be given a permanent jersey number now.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
I'm surprised people were expecting the worst. To his credit, this is the type of deal Doug has usually done well with.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't blame Demers for going to arbitraition. This "rebuild", of course imo, is nothing more than an attempt to save money.

Wingels got bent over.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't blame Demers for going to arbitraition. This "rebuild", of course imo, is nothing more than an attempt to save money.

Wingels got bent over.

What, did DW put a gun to Wingels's head?

Wingels could easily have signed for a year, for less money, if DW truly was holding him hostage.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What, did DW put a gun to Wingels's head?

Wingels could easily have signed for a year, for less money, if DW truly was holding him hostage.

That's only an option if DW offers it or Wingels has arbitration rights. Generally, GM's won't do one year deals in Wingels' situation because he's one year from UFA.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Never said that, but Wingels did get boned. Tommy obviously sacrificed, I hope he had a good reason.

That's only an option if DW offers it or Wingels has arbitration rights. Generally, GM's won't do one year deals in Wingels' situation because he's one year from UFA.

So they how did Wingels get the short end? He agreed to this contract. I don't think he was in some kind of tough position where DW took advantage of him...

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Good deal should have made it a decade long or close to it. Glad to have Wingels. We should follow the San Antonio Spurs coaching mentality treat EVERY player like a rookie no matter how long they have been on the squad so we play like gang busters come playoff time. No special treatment for the vets. :nod:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So they how did Wingels get the short end? He agreed to this contract. I don't think he was in some kind of tough position where DW took advantage of him...

I think it's arguable that he took a bit less money than he could've gotten. He probably could've gotten 3 mil for three years if he wanted to push it. Of course, there's a possibility that clauses may play a part in the final two years which would change things.

I don't think he got bent but as an RFA, he is in a tough spot in terms of negotiations with limited options.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
How did he get bent? Perfect price for him. He's not that hood. Yet.

He would have made significantly more next year as a ufa. He gave up 2 fa years at a very team friendly rate.

I hope DW told him he's going to upgrade the current team and not just feed Hasso bones.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This signing just makes the Burish contract look even more absurd.

Hopefully, Kurz can do a little digging on whether clauses were put into it as that would make some sense for this situation. I'm glad it got done and I assume Demers and Sheppard are next but afterwards, he needs to work on getting rid of Burish and Kennedy.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Hopefully, Kurz can do a little digging on whether clauses were put into it as that would make some sense for this situation. I'm glad it got done and I assume Demers and Sheppard are next but afterwards, he needs to work on getting rid of Burish and Kennedy.

Agreed 100%, very interested to see what Demers receives.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
DW overpays: wtf DW learn to negotiate buddy
DW underpays: rebuild is a shill, player got ripped off, wtf DW

?

Anyway good contract, happy to see Tommy on the team for another 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad