Confirmed with Link: Wingels re-signed to 3-year deal. $7.4 million ($2.47 cap hit)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Wingels on SiriusXMNHL Power Play this afternoon.

Came in at the end where he was talking about his wedding this upcoming weekend.

(The show is available on demand, for subscribers...)

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Wingels on SiriusXMNHL Power Play this afternoon.

Came in at the end where he was talking about his wedding this upcoming weekend.

(The show is available on demand, for subscribers...)

I caught most of it, most interesting part was Scott asking if he is watching the Patty/Joe situation closely.

He said he is watching it very closely, and I can't remember his exact words but he said the choice was still up to DW if they are back. I took it like their status is still very much in the air, and the team still feels like there is a good chance they are moved. Not ground breaking stuff I know, but he stayed away from saying he thinks they would be back or anything like that.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I caught most of it, most interesting part was Scott asking if he is watching the Patty/Joe situation closely.

He said he is watching it very closely, and I can't remember his exact words but he said the choice was still up to DW if they are back. I took it like their status is still very much in the air, and the team still feels like there is a good chance they are moved. Not ground breaking stuff I know, but he stayed away from saying he thinks they would be back or anything like that.

Interesting.

If so, I would guess that DW just hasn't liked what he's been offered. If so, fair enough - he should absolutely maximize the return.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Interesting.

If so, I would guess that DW just hasn't liked what he's been offered. If so, fair enough - he should absolutely maximize the return.

Uh, this is what he said that Pollak picked up. I wouldn't say it moves the needle one way or another and I'd have to see a text of Wingels on Sirus to be persuaded that this changes anything.

"If they think we have a better chance to take one step back to get a couple steps closer, that's a decision Doug has to make," Wingels said. "As a player, you're committed to your team and you're committed to whatever decision the general manager makes."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_26110358/san-jose-sharks-give-james-sheppard-one-year

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Uh, this is what he said that Pollak picked up. I wouldn't say it moves the needle one way or another and I'd have to see a text of Wingels on Sirus to be persuaded that this changes anything.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_26110358/san-jose-sharks-give-james-sheppard-one-year

No, it doesn't change anything.

I guess what I find interesting is Wingels' view. He's being a team player and publicly saying he'll accept whatever. It isn't like he's saying 'Omigosh, no way in hell should they be moved. What would we do without them!?" In a way, he seems like he's prepared if one or both are gone at some point.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I really do like what Wingels did with the whole "you can play campaign". It was probably perceived as a risky career move, and he did it.

Its funny, because JT was asked why he didn't participate in it at first, JT remarked that he didn't know about it and that Wingels had never told him about it. Comes off as a weak excuse to me...but maybe I am being unfair.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I really do like what Wingels did with the whole "you can play campaign". It was probably perceived as a risky career move, and he did it.

Its funny, because JT was asked why he didn't participate in it at first, JT remarked that he didn't know about it and that Wingels had never told him about it. Comes off as a weak excuse to me...but maybe I am being unfair.

Maybe JT and Wingels are just coworkers after all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Maybe JT and Wingels are just coworkers after all.

Again, it is likely I am reading too much into it.

But take a guy like Dustin Brown. He takes a strong role in coming out against homophobia. At the same time, rumors of a homosexual teammates...and a picture forms in your mind about Dustin Brown being so outspoken because of his teammate.

Maybe in the same situation, Thornton does the same thing.

In any case...I like what Wingels did, because, IMO, it was the "right" thing to do...while also not being the safest thing to do. Maybe I'm being too rosy about it...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Joe did end up doing one though.
http://youcanplayproject.org/videos...avis-reece-thompson-thornton-wondolowski-zito
Besides that, only like 5 sharks have been in these videos and not even all the big names in hockey are in them. Granted a lot of them but there's a lot of hockey players man.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Wingels involvement with "You can play" is a little more personal than most other players considering the death of his friend is what sparked the formation of it with the help of Brian Burke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad