Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Give yourself a pat on the back if ya feel the need since, for what was obvious to everyone else as well lol. I support that if you feel the need.
Heck I posted over a month ago it would work itself out as it should and knew it would also. Awesome insight. Just required patience.

Your the only one that needed to post about it over 100x and continue to do so. Interesting, I'm not a psychology major but......

Can you tell us why your first choice in X wasn't given a chance this year? Not a coach was wrong in hindsight answer but the reason they cut ties and he wasn't given an op this year. You were very vocal about it for a long time this year.
Actually it wasn't obvious to everyone,when 1st acquired being from the other conference I barely heard of him,but once I saw in action 3 or 4 games in his time I knew something would happen.
As Medina have no reason why he wasn't given a fair shot,as it has turned it appears they kept the wrong one and many have come along to that position.
As for things happening for a reason,Onuska's failure for whatever reason to play for the most like he did last year and Costanzo shining early and often,he gets the opportunity and deserves the No1 job in goal.
We will never know had Medina been here from the beginning would he have played like he did last year,had he played last year,unlikely Costanzo unlikely to be given the opportunity to win the job.
Overall I am happy the way things have turned for both Costanzo and Medina too.
Medina average is 2.86 in the USHL on a lousy team 2nd last in their division averaging barely 3 goals for a game,bet he wishes they could score like Windsor does over 4.50 per game.
The only thing I dont like is a 20 year old back up on a contender, could use an OA at another position, is what it is,for me overall it's the team and showing strong support for Costanzo.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Or drove the price up on Windsor? To ignore there is always 2 sides to a scenario and the truth in the middle is naive.
My understanding ( for what its worth ) is LK were serious about 1 of the 2 players you mentioned but only to a certain point.
They lost or they walked away......read it as you like. Whatever makes ya feel better. If I were a Spits fan Id say BB identified who he wanted n made it happen. As a LK fan I'd say MH wasn't interested in going all in. ( hard to criticize MH for that when BB did the same last year;) and it may have cost a Memorial Cup birth.....1 addition might meant a game u win, we will never know ) BB changed course from continuos competitiveness to going all in. It vould very well pay off forr the organization.this year unlike last. These choices gotta be tough on GMs. He didn't pull the trigger last year but did this year. ( MH didn't pull the trigger last year but very well may next year)

The 2nd player was never more than media hype as the ask was non negotiable either because the player said no previous to the deadline he would move or the player wasn't offered to start ( I believe I know what happened of those 2 but added both cause the were widely spread. From what I heard is the player was never offered for SW. Who knows)
What we do know is the players Windsor involved in the deals at deadline had no issue saying yes I'll leave town for another opportunity ;) And 1 or 2 had a choice thru their contracts. Always 2 sides to a story.

Anything wrong with just being happy the Spits acquired 2 top offensive players at the deadline? And 2 D to fill holes? The went all in. Something Sarnia n KTown did also. Sag/OS/LK didn't. Enjoy the ride.
BB was,aggressive n good on the Spits org. It was a choice all teams made, not a win or lose.
From what I hear 2 of the 3 young players Windsor traded to acquire Dionicio and Castle and Shane Wright had reservations about being dealt to their respective teams,I wont name them but I can understand their reservations prior to giving their okay to be moved.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Actually it wasn't obvious to everyone,when 1st acquired being from the other conference I barely heard of him,but once I saw in action 3 or 4 games in his time I knew something would happen.
As Medina have no reason why he wasn't given a fair shot,as it has turned it appears they kept the wrong one and many have come along to that position.
As for things happening for a reason,Onuska's failure for whatever reason to play for the most like he did last year and Costanzo shining early and often,he gets the opportunity and deserves the No1 job in goal.
We will never know had Medina been here from the beginning would he have played like he did last year,had he played last year,unlikely Costanzo unlikely to be given the opportunity to win the job.
Overall I am happy the way things have turned for both Costanzo and Medina too.
Medina average is 2.86 in the USHL on a lousy team 2nd last in their division averaging barely 3 goals for a game,bet he wishes they could score like Windsor does over 4.50 per game.
The only thing I dont like is a 20 year old back up on a contender, could use an OA at another position, is what it is,for me overall it's the team and showing strong support for Costanzo.

"Thankfully and I know it would.
Sometimes things happen for a reason."
Pat on the back as I said but if ya hD your way X would have the crease n maybe JC doesn't get the shot ( and his ceiling us higher than both at this level)

HL many knew as soon as you did or before JC would take that job as the season wore on. JMO. Heck I posted it over a month ago.
He had a pedigree you bragged about when the trade happened. But now you say you barely knew him at trade? So just clippings n s ireboards is what you base your opinions on?
One would think you woulda thought any option woulda been betterthan O based on the 100 plus posts you made about him

People saw him in MM, and knew the spot n team he was on i the OHL. Great trade for the Spits. See its ok to acknowledge other teams do well.
All ya did was move on from X should the SG for 1/3 the year to JC should be the next 1/4.
It was obvious to some of us X ran his course with the org and JC would earn the job before you did I guess.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
From what I hear 2 of the 3 young players Windsor traded to acquire Dionicio and Castle and Shane Wright had reservations about being dealt to their respective teams,I wont name them but I can understand their reservations prior to giving their okay to be moved.
Always tough on the kids but they did oK the deals to move on n leave the Spirlts when 1 or 2 coulda sad no. I know over the years some LK players have vetoed a deal to stay n develop here. I'm sure it's happened in Windsor as well. Just not with the players that moved on this year.
Not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying always 2 sides. They were ultimately ok leaving a top team. Happens.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
"Thankfully and I know it would.
Sometimes things happen for a reason."

But now u say you hardly knew him until 3/4 games, interesting......

HL many knew as soon as you did or before JC would take that job as the season wore on. JMO. Heck I posted it over a month ago.
He had a pedigree you bragged about when the trade happened. But now you say you barely knew him at trade? So just clippings n s ireboards is what you base your opinions on?
One would think you woulda thought any option woulda been betterthan O based on the 100 plus posts you made about him

People saw him in MM, and knew the spot n team he was on. Great trade for the Spits.
All ya did was move on from X should the SG for 1/3 the year to JC should be tje next 1/4.
It was obvious to some of us X ran his course with the org and JC would steal the job before you did I guess.
You missed my point about Medina, had he been here and played like he did last year especially in the playoffs vs Flint,Costanzo may not have taken the job away from him, we will never know.
Bottom line for me ,Costanzo has been a tremendous find for Windsor, and because I dont follow under 16 year old much,and with him in the other conference and with covid last year no games against the East,never same him play.
It is ironic all 6 players Spits picked up in trades,actually 7 if u include Thomas Johnston all came from the East,from Costanzo to Wright, etc this year.
So yeah it was the 1st time I saw Costanzo was in a Spits uniform, regular season,we got him post pre season,after a game or 2 I was impressed and like I said rest is history and hopefully for the next few years he will be successful here including this.
Have met him once ,came away impressed, was respectful and genuine.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I'm in a similar boat to HL regarding Costanzo. My first thought when I saw the trade was "another one??" However, spent some time looking around and find out what he's all about... "okay, let's see what he can do!" There's nothing wrong with that.
Nope not at all. But posting, patting yourself on the back....... when most already knew or also knew.....

You missed my point about Medina, had he been here and played like he did last year especially in the playoffs vs Flint,Costanzo may not have taken the job away from him, we will never know.
Bottom line for me ,Costanzo has been a tremendous find for Windsor, and because I dont follow under 16 year old much,and with him in the other conference and with covid last year no games against the East,never same him play.
It is ironic all 6 players Spits picked up in trades,actually 7 if u include Thomas Johnston all came from the East,from Costanzo to Wright, etc this year.
So yeah it was the 1st time I saw Costanzo was in a Spits uniform, regular season,we got him post pre season,after a game or 2 I was impressed and like I said rest is history and hopefully for the next few years he will be successful here including this.

Thought I was on ignore :)

I didn't miss anything but TY. You knew X shoulda been the SG and posted as such over n over n over. Now its we will never know? Now that they got another G to take Onuskas spot? Interesting.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Actually to you otherwise you wouldn't be commenting.
That being said time to move on
Big week for Windsor actually next week with Windsor playing Erie this Thursday at home,then the next 5 on the road starting this weekend, Saturday at Barrie and Sunday at Oshawa.
Interesting only Mathew Maggio is the only player on the roster prior to those acquired this season and last,who has ever played in Barrie and Oshawa as a Spitfire,mainly because for the older players,no games last year vs the East and the year before cancelled because of Covid.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Big week for Windsor actually next week with Windsor playing Erie this Thursday at home,then the next 5 on the road starting this weekend, Saturday at Barrie and Sunday at Oshawa.
Interesting only Mathew Maggio is the only player on the roster prior to those acquired this season and last,who has ever played in Barrie and Oshawa as a Spitfire,mainly because for the older players,no games last year vs the East and the year before cancelled because of Covid.
Spits are 9-2 vs the East so far this year,
8-0 at home and 1-2 on the road,with losses at Mississauga and Hamilton and the lone win at Niagara Falls.
Ironically the 2 games left vs the East are against Hamilton and Mississauga at home for the schedule.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Spits are 9-2 vs the East so far this year,
8-0 at home and 1-2 on the road,with losses at Mississauga and Hamilton and the lone win at Niagara Falls.
Ironically the 2 games left vs the East are against Hamilton and Mississauga at home for the schedule.
Should be an interesting game Feb 26 when the Spits are in Kingston

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm sorry HL but Medina was a below average goalie last year for the Spits. You can't keep pointing out 2 playoff games as that is how he played all year. What happened in Guelph when he lost 7 to 1? Onuska came in played better than Medina and won the starting roll. Onuska has dealt with a nagging injury and his numbers reflect that. Costanzo is much better than Medina or Onuska. Didn't matter who was kept because Costanzo would and has taken over the starting roll. Can we move on now?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting only Mathew Maggio is the only player on the roster prior to those acquired this season and last,who has ever played in Barrie and Oshawa as a Spitfire,mainly because for the older players,no games last year vs the East and the year before cancelled
Delete

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm sorry HL but Medina was a below average goalie last year for the Spits. You can't keep pointing out 2 playoff games as that is how he played all year. What happened in Guelph when he lost 7 to 1? Onuska came in played better than Medina and won the starting roll. Onuska has dealt with a nagging injury and his numbers reflect that. Costanzo is much better than Medina or Onuska. Didn't matter who was kept because Costanzo would and has taken over the starting roll. Can we move on now?

Sorry you feel that way about Medina from last year,for me he was 8th best in regular season league with an average of 3.05,Onuska was 12th Medina was 1st in playoffs overall with 2.01 goals against average,Onuska 8th 2.77 and without Medina vs Flint Windsor does not go to the finals it that's below average I will take it every day of the week,and one bad game a 7-1 loss at Guelph wasn't just him,and you know Onuska has had many more bad games this year then Medina,injured or not this season.
Now we can move on.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I've got an image from the movie Porkys running thru my head. "So sayith the Shepard, so sayith......"

Heading into the 2nd half I expect Windsor to do similar to last year and pull away a bit from the pack. Just can't see them going on enough of a slide to let Sarnia or London to get up on them in the standings n get breathing room.

Reactions: Section 103

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I've got an image from the movie Porkys running thru my head. "So sayith the Shepard, so sayith......"

Heading into the 2nd half I expect Windsor to do similar to last year and pull away a bit from the pack. Just can't see them going on enough of a slide to let Sarnia or London to get up on them in the standings n get breathing room.
I was picturing Bluto in Animal House when he fired up the troops with his impassioned speech in regards to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

For all intents and purposes we probably need to keep in mind once the Spits put Medina on waivers what proceeded to happen was 59 other CHL teams never made a claim either.

Reactions: rve24

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I was picturing Bluto in Animal House when he fired up the troops with his impassioned speech in regards to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

For all intents and purposes we probably need to keep in mind once the Spits put Medina on waivers what proceeded to happen was 59 other CHL teams never made a claim either.
Overage players are rarely claimed from league to league before the start or into the start of the season.
I would think Sudbury, Guelph and Flint would have regrets of not claiming him after what Ranger did for Sudbury this season 3.91 for them,last year 2.54 for Miss,was waived at deadline and cleared now playing Jr B for London,Oster traded from Guelph after averaging 4.46 and Cranley averaging 3.67 in Flint this season after signing with the St Louis Blues.
Curious to know your answer regarding Ranger seeing as you seem to have the all the answers, and it appears your happy with an OA with an average of 4 .14 and save per centage of 870 as a backup
To each their own.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Wait didnt X play about 2 games in the playoffs???
Its time to let it go tho, really. Who even knows if O is still here??

Reactions: windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Why would this team even really need another OA for anyways? I think the team is built just fine and probably not an OA out there that was getable and would have boosted this team more. I’m fine with OA goalie since i don’t think it would have been used anywhere else

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Overage players are rarely claimed from league to league before the start or into the start of the season.
I would think Sudbury, Guelph and Flint would have regrets of not claiming him after what Ranger did for Sudbury this season 3.91 for them,last year 2.54 for Miss,was waived at deadline and cleared now playing Jr B for London,Oster traded from Guelph after averaging 4.46 and Cranley averaging 3.67 in Flint this season after signing with the St Louis Blues.
Curious to know your answer regarding Ranger seeing as you seem to have the all the answers, and it appears your happy with an OA with an average of 4 .14 and save per centage of 870 as a backup
To each their own.
Did any OA goalies move teams this year?

Yes it's tough

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Ranger and later 1 brought in from the Q. Also isn't Cranley an OA?
Yes Cranley who is signed by St Louis Blues is an OA goaltender traded by Ottawa to Flint this past June for a 15th rounder,he averaged 3.81 for Ottawa last year and this year his average is 3.67 and a save percentage of .891 and is currently 17th in league goaltending.
Some fans there not happy with his work so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad