Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Tyler Angle made his NHL debut today.
He turned out to be an excellent 6th round pick by Windsor in 2016 and a 7th round by Columbus years later.
In 2017 Spits drafted Daniel D'amico in the 6th round and he had a good career here too.
This past draft 2022 in the 6th round Spits drafted forward Jack Dean and goalie Carter Frogett and I expect both players to be on Spits opening day roster for this coming season.
Should also note with the entry draft 8 days away and while we all know Windsor as of now have their 1st round pick but no picks till the 6th where they have 2 picks their own and Flints.
Looking forward to see how they draft in this round,assuming no picks acquired rounds 2-5 next week,could be easy to convince reluctant players about playing OHL that Windsor picking them in the 6th gives them better chance then teams with a full draft board and more,especially American born players,would not surprise if Windsor does well in this round and better then some expect.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lets get deeper then. Why werent the spits able to score goals?
Inability and unwillingness to get to the slot, not physical enough to win puck battles, not able to screen the goalie or even create traffic in the slot. Not willing to get in tight and work the puck vlose to the goalie. Worried about getting roughed up so unable to get the puck to the D. Then lets discuss how many errors were made on the offensive blueline by the D!
You play a much more physical game in the playoffs, scoring lanes just dont open up anymore, everything is much tighter. Spits had no answer for physicality and frankly there was some fear, it was noticeable at ice level by a number of folks. Kitch had zero concern about anyone on the spits enforcing, dishing out hard nosed hockey or even getting dirty. My opinion still stands this is on BB! Players play, coaches coach and the GM puts all those pieces in place that he believes will win championships. When all the pieces are soft you get this result.

Reactions: windsor7 and rve24

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Lets get deeper then. Why werent the spits able to score goals?

Inability and unwillingness to get to the slot, not physical enough to win puck battles, not able to screen the goalie or even create traffic in the slot. Not willing to get in tight and work the puck vlose to the goalie. Worried about getting roughed up so unable to get the puck to the D. Then lets discuss how many errors were made on the offensive blueline by the D!

You play a much more physical game in the playoffs, scoring lanes just dont open up anymore, everything is much tighter. Spits had no answer for physicality and frankly there was some fear, it was noticeable at ice level by a number of folks. Kitch had zero concern about anyone on the spits enforcing, dishing out hard nosed hockey or even getting dirty. My opinion still stands this is on BB! Players play, coaches coach and the GM puts all those pieces in place that he believes will win championships. When all the pieces are soft you get this result.

I think what most people don't realize is that most of Windsor's tougher,or grittier players or both either were not available or playing injured or just back from injury, ie no Abraham, no Spellacy, no Dionicio for 1st 2 games,DeAngilis playing with tender shoulder after being healthy all year,Renwick who never backed away playing hurt too,Sobelev nobody on Kitchener would fight him,though I heard he was playing hurt too,Smith playing with a damaged wrist,Greentree back after missing 3 weeks with an eye injury wearing a bubble, and then Savard doesn't dress McManus and Ethan Martin,McManus a pit bull but having to wear a cage and Martin 6'6-220 another one had wear a cage the last 2 games,instead dressing Davis and Woodall 2-16 year olds who haven't filled out yet and wearing cages too,for me for the most part though I expected larger guys like Jodoin and Holmes to do something physical but they didnt enough though to be fair Jodoin did try and couldn't get any takers,I think unfortunately of the ones out of the lineup injured or suspended most if not all except Peer were their more physical guys out.

Then when Savard doesn't dress McManus or Martin what does that tell u.

I am not ready to dump Bowler because of 2 week period playoffs I look at the entire body of work this year,last year,both playoffs, drafting, trading and for me the evidence overall is lacking to warrant action on the GM.

As for Savard,I can see him leaving and if he does would not surprise me that former Spit Dale Mitchell still in Leamington coaching gets the job.

He has done great there so far.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I think most people realize just fine HL. They maybe just don't agree with ya about everything.

And being hard to play against, paying a price, getting to dirty areas has nothing to do with fighting as you mentioned 2 or 3 times above.
Regardless of who is dressed on any team ever, effort and sacrifice is a choice.
Was that a factor, in the case in the Rangers sweep. I don't know but seems a fair question by some Spits fans.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How would you respond to this? Bowler recognized that Windsor was a leading contender to win the West prior to the deadline, and instead of sitting on his hands, he made bold moves to go all in, to do his best to position the Spits above the competition. Adding Wright, and improving the D with Dionicio and Holmes. Why is he the fall guy? Explain to this outsider.
Part of being a GM is knowing the pulse of the team as well. He's around the team as much as a coach relatively speaking. My pov is that everybody wanted the kiss BB dumper after last year. Now this year it all falls on Savard. I will believe in Bowler when he has arguably an CHL player of the year player on this roster to make a playoff run. There isn't one on the current roster and honestly he probably over estimated a few of the players on the roster. Others here have said Savard is the guy that needs to go in other words be fired and that Wright was the problem. That's some tired BS because nobody would ever dare blame the local guy captain for 2 underwhelming playoffs.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Didn't Bowler have a CHL Player of the Year candidate on his roster last season? Also, which 2 playoffs were underwhelming? This one and... ?
Oh he is talking about last yrs playoffs when Maggio had 17 points in 25 points,though what he conveniently left out was that Maggio had 6G,6A, in the last 14 games,7 points in 7 games vs Flint and 5 points vs Hamilton in 7 games,the 2 hardest series of the entire playoffs,also Wyatt Johnston who had 41 points in 25 playoff games last had 8 points in 7 games vs Flint.
Towards the end of this regular season
Maggio played through pneumonia and other ailments to help lead this team to a 1st place finish and while he along with 20 others struggled in the 1st round, it wasn't because of lack of effort from Maggio,hell he fought once his 1st ever fight to get his team going plus he had enough, a guy like that can play on my team anytime,this past season and last he was the epitome of leadership, he got drafted,played his 1st AHL game the other night picked up an assist, finished +1 as his team won 6-4,Maggio was one of the most popular if not this year the most popular Spitfire amongst the fans ,his maturity and leadership beyond his years and it's been recognized league wide for awards and poll rating by other league coaches, despite this we get the cowardice remarks by online poster who hides behind their phone or tablet how convinced and disgusting but unfortunately not surprising.
And his remarks re Bowler,under his management since Covid Windsor has a record of 103W,49L,8OTL,5SOL including playoffs most wins in the West,and tied with NBay for the league lead,though Windsor has a conference championship and North Bay doesn't.
Windsor also back to back 1st place finishes and Bowler should be held accountable (fired).
Yeah that's a good look for any prospective GM candidates lol.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Oh he is talking about last yrs playoffs when Maggio had 17 points in 25 points,though what he conveniently left out was that Maggio had 6G,6A, in the last 14 games,7 points in 7 games vs Flint and 5 points vs Hamilton in 7 games,the 2 hardest series of the entire playoffs,also Wyatt Johnston who had 41 points in 25 playoff games last had 8 points in 7 games vs Flint.
Towards the end of this regular season
Maggio played through pneumonia and other ailments to help lead this team to a 1st place finish and while he along with 20 others struggled in the 1st round, it wasn't because of lack of effort from Maggio,hell he fought once his 1st ever fight to get his team going plus he had enough, a guy like that can play on my team anytime,this past season and last he was the epitome of leadership, he got drafted,played his 1st AHL game the other night picked up an assist, finished +1 as his team won 6-4,Maggio was one of the most popular if not this year the most popular Spitfire amongst the fans ,his maturity and leadership beyond his years and it's been recognized league wide for awards and poll rating by other league coaches, despite this we get the cowardice remarks by online poster who hides behind their phone or tablet how convinced and disgusting but unfortunately not surprising.
And his remarks re Bowler,under his management since Covid Windsor has a record of 103W,49L,8OTL,5SOL including playoffs most wins in the West,and tied with NBay for the league lead,though Windsor has a conference championship and North Bay doesn't.
Windsor also back to back 1st place finishes and Bowler should be held accountable (fired).
Yeah that's a good look for any prospective GM candidates lol.
He didn't address the toughness n defensive softness on this team. Scoring dry up and they had no answer.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I get your passion but no need to make it personal. Yes Mags is great in most areas. The knock? Size, grit and physicality. Its a valid argument also hes struggled somewhat in playoffs. Do i blame him? No, but he didnt get it done this year for sure. That said most every player didnt get it done. I believe the knock on BB is valid, last year was pretty damn good but there could be an asterisk as ive stated. This year? Abysmal!!! Worst part is many of us saw this coming, how did he miss it? He built a team like himself and that doesnt work, again as ive stated. Is there blame to go around? Yes to some degree. But most of it lies at BB feet! You cant expect players to do things they dont have in them, you cant coach those things into them so who is left??

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
My 2 cents - BB has done a good job as GM. Assembled good teams and has given Windsor 2 years of conference Champs. The outlier problem is he is heavy on a offensive style team. I'm sure his head coach is influencing that quite a bit. Tough lesson for both of them but I'm hoping they see defense as more of a priority going forward. I give Bowler a pass because of what he has done so far but remembering that a D+ gets you a pass.

If you have to look at problems with this team you clearly need to look on the defensive side of the puck. They have struggled for the last few years. Maybe the fingers should be pointing at a different coach?

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I get your passion but no need to make it personal. Yes Mags is great in most areas. The knock? Size, grit and physicality. Its a valid argument also hes struggled somewhat in playoffs. Do i blame him? No, but he didnt get it done this year for sure. That said most every player didnt get it done. I believe the knock on BB is valid, last year was pretty damn good but there could be an asterisk as ive stated. This year? Abysmal!!! Worst part is many of us saw this coming, how did he miss it? He built a team like himself and that doesnt work, again as ive stated. Is there blame to go around? Yes to some degree. But most of it lies at BB feet! You cant expect players to do things they dont have in them, you cant coach those things into them so who is left??
Honest question, how do u fire a Gm,in a space of 2 years, is in charge of a team with back to back 1st place titles,a conference championship, a draft 2022 considered by many to be best by any team,with the likes of Christoforo, Greentree,Spellacy drafted,22,34th,and 62 respectively toss in Davis,4th round,Woodall,10th,a couple more at least from the 6th round goalie Carter Frogett and Forward Jack Dean to be signed,year after covid losing Foudy to the American League at 19,and Rafkin stays in Europe,you take unbeaten Hamilton team to 7 games in the league finals after winning the conference, then this year lose Wyatt Johnston a year early to the NHL,Zito asks out because of coaching differences,and u take 1st place in the standings again,and this is where an asterisk should be put,the most man games missed to injury in the league,and for the most part affected the gritty part of the lineup, ie,Abraham, Spellacy, Greentree, Sobelev, DeAngilis.
The GM picks up goalie Joey Costanzo for a 4th round pick and he finishes 5th best in the league for average and save percentage, any potential Gm would be nuts to apply when hearing about this if management meaning ownership thinks about firing Bowler.
I am not advocating Savard either though if he leaves and Windsor gets the guy I want Mitchell from Leamington works for me.
I have already stated disappointment re the playoffs but laying the blame at the GM doesn't pass the test when looking at everything.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Honest question, how do u fire a Gm,in a space of 2 years, is in charge of a team with back to back 1st place titles,a conference championship, a draft 2022 considered by many to be best by any team,with the likes of Christoforo, Greentree,Spellacy drafted,22,34th,and 62 respectively toss in Davis,4th round,Woodall,10th,a couple more at least from the 6th round goalie Carter Frogett and Forward Jack Dean to be signed,year after covid losing Foudy to the American League at 19,and Rafkin stays in Europe,you take unbeaten Hamilton team to 7 games in the league finals after winning the conference, then this year lose Wyatt Johnston a year early to the NHL,Zito asks out because of coaching differences,and u take 1st place in the standings again,and this is where an asterisk should be put,the most man games missed to injury in the league,and for the most part affected the gritty part of the lineup, ie,Abraham, Spellacy, Greentree, Sobelev, DeAngilis.
The GM picks up goalie Joey Costanzo for a 4th round pick and he finishes 5th best in the league for average and save percentage, any potential Gm would be nuts to apply when hearing about this if management meaning ownership thinks about firing Bowler.
I am not advocating Savard either though if he leaves and Windsor gets the guy I want Mitchell from Leamington works for me.
I have already stated disappointment re the playoffs but laying the blame at the GM doesn't pass the test when looking at everything.
Who's to blame then? And not based on your many "factors"..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Who's to blame then? And not based on your many "factors"..
My attitude is win as a team,lose as a team,all share in the praise or blame,but not going to allow 4 games to trump 68 games,I look at the entire picture not one,those remaining players and or coaches will need to learn from it, and move on.
After these last 2 years nobody loses their job unless they move on their own
Coaches and Gm wise.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You're losing the plot. People are bringing up Bowler because some have said that Savard should be fired. Nobody has said Bowler should be fired but if you're going to fire Savard then Bowler needs to be looked at as well because last time I checked Bowler hired Savard.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
First off yes i say this is on BB. Ok i agree some great acquisitions and draft pics. BUT, he has failed to assemble a team capable of what was considered an all in year. He chose that path because of who he acquired and the assets he sent packing. So if said gm decided “were good to go all in,” im spending and spending big he must have a hell of a team and be damn sure of that? Would you agree? Now if said team had some huge flaws, some so bad numerous fans/knowledgeable hockey folks said as much but that path was still chosen. Then the games got played and that team failed miserably mostly in the areas many spoke of but also the offensive juggernaut shut down. Again some seen this coming. The team was totally manhandled, in all areas. So that team gets ousted in a record breaking way, swept in 4 by an 8 seed! Your still ok because he won a division title? If thats your criteria i cant argue. My criteria would be at a minimum a league finals. Why? Because my gm believed in the team so much he emptied our draft cupboard and moved bodies, all to get swept? If a division championship is worth that expenditure to you then so be it. But i think i know you well enough and frankly many here by what ive read and there's no way its ok! Fans are angry, players upset, owners have to be weighing all options or their not doing their jobs. BB went all in with a team built incredibly flawed!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
If LK had accomplished the same achievements over a 2 year stretch HL how would you assess their GM and coach? I know you won't answer cause.....I'm sure it has happened and those posts are public record.
Remember when ya said they should traded Marner? When hosting? And a 2nd rd exit was a fail and with Windsor you said nothing for 2 months after a 1st rd exit UNTIL the won the tourney lol ( But LK earned their way in later with Marner and won) The Memorial Cup or bust criteria you held so dear over the decade without a PO series win? What happened?
Bowler didn't go all in last year when in hindsight he shoulda done more to add more but you applauded the restraint in hopes of continued success.
This year he did and didn't push the right buttons. And you applaud it.
I'm responding to your apparent flip flopping to defend not saying what I think. I've posted that already.
It's hard to take it serious when your criteria for success depends not on values you hold but rather how you can defend the org. And we know why but I wont post it here.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
If LK had accomplished the same achievements over a 2 year stretch HL how would you assess their GM and coach? I know you won't answer cause.....I'm sure it has happened and those posts are public record.
Remember when ya said they should traded Marner? When hosting? And a 2nd rd exit was a fail and with Windsor you said nothing for 2 months after a 1st rd exit UNTIL the won the tourney lol ( But LK earned their way in later with Marner and won) The Memorial Cup or bust criteria you held so dear over the decade without a PO series win? What happened?
Bowler didn't go all in last year when in hindsight he shoulda done more to add more but you applauded the restraint in hopes of continued success.
This year he did and didn't push the right buttons. And you applaud it.
I'm responding to your apparent flip flopping to defend not saying what I think. I've posted that already.
It's hard to take it serious when your criteria for success depends not on values you hold but rather how you can defend the org. And we know why but I wont post it here.
How many times do I have to tell you? ... I only care about Windsor! Lol!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
How many times do I have to tell you? ... I only care about Windsor! Lol!

Now that's completely untrue based on posts over the last 10 years as much as it is stated lol

I prefer consistent application when measuring accomplishments. Not pandering to authority or people in hopes of retaining.........
I just get dizzy trying to follow the goalposts year to year. :)
Gotta credit the consistency of the inconsistency thou. It's gotta be hard work trying to find the right selective angle.
It's all good. Lots of reasonable consistent posters here.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Why is London scoring easily against Kitchener? 8 goals in less than 4 periods so far I guess the hard working Spits tired out the Rangers or we were just that bad??gosh, feel better about the Spits playoffs if the Rangers were handing it to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad