Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

Or shall I say your new nickname
Cherry Picker,not surprised u bring up the 7 goals Medina gave up at Guelph, though not a word about how the team played in front of him,yet with Onuska you blame the team in front of him.
And not a word about Medina being 9-0-0 in his last 9 home games,talk about bias.
Sources tell me Savard has it in for Medina and has for awhile, and this is where we are.

Calling someone else a cherry picker. That's some pretty good irony there. I am sure you caught I was doing the exact same thing you do with stats. Medina 9-0 in his last 9 home games wonder how that pans out the next 2 games.

Reactions: TheGremlin and Otto

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Calling someone else a cherry picker. That's some pretty good irony there. I am sure you caught I was doing the exact same thing you do with stats. Medina 9-0 in his last 9 home games wonder how that pans out the next 2 games.

Yes you should be thinking that re next 2 home games.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
legend has picked more cherries than E.D. Smith

Reactions: aresknights

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Personally I find some of the line suggestions amusing, Currie and Christopoulos on the 4th line.

I thought one had top line potential and the other was going to replace McDonald's goals.

I know if I would have made such a suggestion I would have been ripped for it.

When McDonald was here and in the lineup Windsor went 13-9-2-2,and when not in the lineup and since trade deadline Windsor has gone 15-5-1-1
They averaged 4.08 goals per game when he dressed
When not here or dressed they have averaged 4.36 goals per game.
When McDonald left the PP was 6th best and now since the trade deadline it is now 2nd.
The Pk when McDonald was here and he played a bit on it was rated 17th overall
Since the tradeline now the PK is 6th overall.
The team has scored more goals per,better PP and PK improved I don't see the issue with him gone scoring wise numbers and team record doesn't indicate that.

member 71782

Has Onuska been inconsistent? Yes he has but as someone who came to Windsor with a whole 5 games played in the league, 2 games before this year, excluding preseason I think he's holding up as well as can be expected considering the lack of experience and now possible circumstances surrounding the team/goaltending.

Head to head this season.

Medina - 24 GP, 12 W, 7 L, 3.06 GAA, 0.891 SAV%

Onuska (WSR/LDN/TTL#s) - (10/3) 13 GP, (5/0) 5 W, (2/2) 4L, (3.32/3.03) 3.27 GAA, (0.877/0.910) 0.884 SAV%

Onuska has a bit higher GAA and a very slightly bit lower SAV% but in very limited GP his LDN numbers were much better this year. An inexperienced and a bit inconsistent goaltender who has better numbers behind a better D group.

Now if Medina is not returning, as a number of posters have suggested then Windsor has two choices to make.

Onuska
Downey
Tovell

Who will be the starter and who will be the back up?

If, as it's being suggested that Medina won't be returning it certainly won't be someone who's not going to be here.

What is the biggest problem is with how Medina has been this year Bowler had to have some indication there was going to be issues going forward and he still made the decisions he did knowing that goaltending was going to continue to have issues post deadline., provided there's something to Medina possibly not returning.

Seems like desperation moves made to try to please a player and yet he still failed to finish things properly while releasing one of the better goaltending coaches around.

While I am speculating about Bowler if he really failed this badly and put one player ahead of the entire team I think he should be out the door now.

member 71782

When McDonald was here and in the lineup Windsor went 13-9-2-2,and when not in the lineup and since trade deadline Windsor has gone 15-5-1-1
They averaged 4.08 goals per game when he dressed
When not here or dressed they have averaged 4.36 goals per game.
When McDonald left the PP was 6th best and now since the trade deadline it is now 2nd.
The Pk when McDonald was here and he played a bit on it was rated 17th overall
Since the tradeline now the PK is 6th overall.
The team has scored more goals per,better PP and PK improved I don't see the issue with him gone scoring wise numbers and team record doesn't indicate that.

When you consider he provided more depth goals then everyone that's been brought in combined and the coaches are still trying and having no luck spreading the scoring around consistently you might find your answer.

Also add in Cuylle/Johnston/Maggio went on a real tear post deadline and you likely find the answer to the improved offensive numbers which also shows it's not related to depth scoring.

See, context matters. It's not just about better numbers but where much of those numbers come from.

As well as Cuylle/Johnston/Maggio have done McDonald's 30 goals would lead the team right now.

Now my issue hasn't been that they moved McDonald even though I would have rather seen him stay, my issue has always been that they never replaced his goals. Players already here who keep contributing at an improved pace is great but that's not replacing McDonald who has kept contributing as well.

Maybe a couple of other moves to get a few more picks then a youngster plus the picks out the door for someone who would have brought more goals back then what you dealt and actually increased depth scoring and this team would have likely had an even bigger increase in the numbers your citing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He is too inconsistent, out of 10 starts 4 times his goals against average over 4.00,3 of his last 6 and 2 of his last 3.
Last night had some good moments,cant and wont fault him on the OT winner,however London's 1st and 4th goals were weak,should have been stopped.
His goals against average is climbing and his save percentage lowering last 3 games has given up 11 goals,almost 3.70 will not cut it.
Said before will say it again, would be the perfect backup this year along side Medina,very concerned moving forward.

Medina numbers that much better?
If u pick whatever stats r relevant?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
London healthy scratches 2 NHL draft picks and here we are figuring out if the Spits should slide in a guy here or there to take up a 7th D or 11th/12th F. If things fall like a house of cards because of the goaltending issue then it really wasn't a well built roster to begin with.

Bowler needee another plan just in case. Hmmm...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
When you consider he provided more depth goals then everyone that's been brought in combined and the coaches are still trying and having no luck spreading the scoring around consistently you might find your answer.

Also add in Cuylle/Johnston/Maggio went on a real tear post deadline and you likely find the answer to the improved offensive numbers which also shows it's not related to depth scoring.

See, context matters. It's not just about better numbers but where much of those numbers come from.

As well as Cuylle/Johnston/Maggio have done McDonald's 30 goals would lead the team right now.

Now my issue hasn't been that they moved McDonald even though I would have rather seen him stay, my issue has always been that they never replaced his goals. Players already here who keep contributing at an improved pace is great but that's not replacing McDonald who has kept contributing as well.

Maybe a couple of other moves to get a few more picks then a youngster plus the picks out the door for someone who would have brought more goals back then what you dealt and actually increased depth scoring and this team would have likely had an even bigger increase in the numbers your citing.

Actually Zito was one who was supposed to add more scoring and he has 8 goals in 13 games since trade deadline,and missed 7 games ,5 game suspension and 2 games covid .
Also Perrott and Currie combined have 33 points since trade deadline, while McDonald and Ladd have 27 points.
Team win record percentage better since McDonald has been gone,not because McDonald was a bad player he wasn't but team winning and scoring and special teams have been better,again I dont see his loss as a problem.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Rayzor

Or shall I say your new nickname
Cherry Picker,not surprised u bring up the 7 goals Medina gave up at Guelph, though not a word about how the team played in front of him,yet with Onuska you blame the team in front of him.
And not a word about Medina being 9-0-0 in his last 9 home games,talk about bias.
Sources tell me Savard has it in for Medina and has for awhile, and this is where we are.

Picking stats?
Thats what u r arguing about?
Lol

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well great game if you ignore the first 40 minutes. Interesting way to get a point but getting a point in London is always a good thing.

If Onuska is our guy then I will support him. Not much we can do about any of it. Just hope the teams moves on from this and worries more about the games they are playing.

Marc taking a time out was a good move, did not necessarily help right away but they did improve as the game wore on. Coaching staff need/must find a way to get this team ready to play at the drop of the first puck. They're as good as any team when they play like they did in the 3rd.

Tonight is the must win. If they have any chance of moving up it has to be taking points from the Soo or Flint and doing that in regulation. London is tops in the mid-west so they will finish either first or second with present format so to move up, what London does , does not hurt the Spits. Only if London is beating Flint, Soo, Guelph do they help us.

I would go Onuska tonight and Downey Sunday. Mostly do to the logic in my previous paragraph. Would not be upset if Onuska gets all 3 games. Baptism by fire can be a good thing.

Hope to see a good crowd tonight and tomorrow. Go Spits Go!

Reactions: member 71782

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok HL you call Onuska inconsistent but refuse to say it about X??! Is there a personal interest there we all missed??? Yes O is inconsistent but I’ll give him some leeway right now. Seems there’s more going on behind the scenes then anyone knows! I alluded to it a bit ago and sure enough it’s happening! Bowler should resign this mess is on him! There’s conflict seemingly from top to bottom behind the scenes and this team is going to suffer because of it!!
Last nights game, at least 1 bad goal, the rest? That damn defence is allowing guys way to close in and letting them get shots off! If Henault takes his man, easy on a 3 on 3 they don’t score the winner either! Combine that with only playing 20 minutes and you should be very happy with a point!
If I’m Savard I’m walking into Savages office and trying to right the ship. Bowler gone and new asst’s asap!!! No it’s not ideal and only if someone’s available but I’m done. It’s very clear BB has no idea how to run a JR A team. This fiasco could easily blow up very badly. I’m betting the O Head office is involved and that’s why we’re not hearing anything.
I know this site is followed, Billy it’s time to walk away and save what little integrity you have left!

Last edited:

member 71782

Actually Zito was one who was supposed to add more scoring and he has 8 goals in 13 games since trade deadline,and missed 7 games ,5 game suspension and 2 games covid .
Also Perrott and Currie combined have 33 points since trade deadline, while McDonald and Ladd have 27 points.
Team win record percentage better since McDonald has been gone,not because McDonald was a bad player he wasn't but team winning and scoring and special teams have been better,again I dont see his loss as a problem.

That's great that Zito has started contributing more, he was expected to all season but that's my point. You don't look to Zito to replace McDonald's goals or anyone else that was already here. He was one of the top 2 goal scorers on the team when he was dealt. That's a sellers move not a contenders move. If you're going to move a top 2 scorer you need to bring in someone who can score at a higher pace then he did if you're contending.

Going into the playoffs defense tightens up which is why teams add players who can score, not move them.

It's great they added players who can generate some assists but they need players who can finish as well and while those that are here have improved a bit you don't trade away offense when you're building for a time when offense is at a premium.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
That's great that Zito has started contributing more, he was expected to all season but that's my point. You don't look to Zito to replace McDonald's goals or anyone else that was already here. He was one of the top 2 goal scorers on the team when he was dealt. That's a sellers move not a contenders move. If you're going to move a top 2 scorer you need to bring in someone who can score at a higher pace then he did if you're contending.

Going into the playoffs defense tightens up which is why teams add players who can score, not move them.

It's great they added players who can generate some assists but they need players who can finish as well and while those that are here have improved a bit you don't trade away offense when you're building for a time when offense is at a premium.

Except as pointed out their offense has not declined its increased and the special teams have improved considerably as well their record since the trade deadline would be no better imo.
McDonald for all he brought offensive wise was still a minus player before being dealt.
He also was streaky.

Oct 3, 2019

I’m very surprised that you guys don’t know much about this team. Macdonald is soft and lazy. Who cares if he could score against point fluffing teams. When you look at players you need to see if they can actually play the game of hockey which is a physical game. The purpose is to win championships and we won’t win with this team. Should I start naming our soft players? When you play a team who is well coached and knows how to shut down your key players by playing a physical game then you’re done. 90% of our players were terrified to touch the puck yesterday.

Reactions: stips

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So this team is so much better since the deadline. Then why aren't they closer to 1st place?? The Spits are closer to 3rd or 5th than they are 1st or 2nd. We can throw superlatives out about the PP/PK/Medina/Bowler/the ticket takers. Something obviously isn't adding up to the ultimate goal of being in 1st place. Before anyone says the Flint schedule nobody mentioned that in September but it's relevant now? I could find some receipts saying Flint looks terrible, they are going down the same road etc..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
1st goal last night was a perfect example. Our D has a chance to clear behind the net, sees imminent check coming, coughs up puck, quick turnover and it is in our net. Some blame O on that goal but I'm sure he thought we were in control and had little time to prepare. He prevented the usual short side wrap around and the perfect shot banked off the far post. Funny Parker did not mention a single word about goaltending last night for either team in the paper. Topic obviously off limits because you know Parker is aware of the situation and should have asked Savard about it as a reporter.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
1st goal last night was a perfect example. Our D has a chance to clear behind the net, sees imminent check coming, coughs up puck, quick turnover and it is in our net. Some blame O on that goal but I'm sure he thought we were in control and had little time to prepare. He prevented the usual short side wrap around and the perfect shot banked off the far post. Funny Parker did not mention a single word about goaltending last night for either team in the paper. Topic obviously off limits because you know Parker is aware of the situation and should have asked Savard about it as a reporter.

Abraham was terrible in his own zone last evening. First goal DeAngelis didn't do a good job and Abraham cleaned up with not making an attempt to block a pass. Abraham shows a lot tenacity in the the ozone but backchecking is secondary for him. As long as Medina never returns this year the dog and pony show of listing Medina ill by the organization doesn't do any good.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So this team is so much better since the deadline. Then why aren't they closer to 1st place?? The Spits are closer to 3rd or 5th than they are 1st or 2nd. We can throw superlatives out about the PP/PK/Medina/Bowler/the ticket takers. Something obviously isn't adding up to the ultimate goal of being in 1st place. Before anyone says the Flint schedule nobody mentioned that in September but it's relevant now? I could find some receipts saying Flint looks terrible, they are going down the same road etc..

You seem to have all the answers
Spits were 8-8-0-2 at the 18 game mark,since then in the last 29 games Windsor is 19-6--2-2,
13-1-1 at home and 6-5-2-1 on the road
They are averaging 4.31 goals per game for and 3.34 goals against
The PP was 14th overall at that 18 game now it is 2nd
The PK was 20th at the 18 game mark
Now its 6th o/a
Medina is 11-4 in his last 15 starts with a goals against average of 2.77
Onuska in 10 starts is 5-2--1-1 with a goals against average of 3.32
As well Windsor overall for the season is 14-5-1-2 against Flint,London,Guelph and Soo combined.
What the hell is wrong with this
Unfortunately if Medina indeed is no longer in the picture has not been confirmed I dont see this team continuing at this pace or near moving forward.
With Medina in the lineup I have confidence this team would or will do fine, without him Windsor is in trouble.
And all the improvements and roster additions will be for naught because Savard chose Medina to be his team goat,terrible move if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad