Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
The Spits not putting in a full 60 minute effort is going to bite them in the ass soon! They have been lucky at times with a 40 minute effort but it's only a matter of time before Medina or Onuska get lit up!! Guelph had some great scoring chances in the 1st last night and the game could have easily went another direction. Spits need to play with a sense of urgency every period if they plan on a long run in the playoffs. As for tonight's game they gotta be pumped up everytime they play the Knights!! Goals against Brochu are going to be a challenge, they don't always have to be pretty!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Who gets the start?

According to Savard's presser last night its going to Medina starting not because of what most might think,it's because Onuska had 4 or 5 days of covid issues, otherwise he would be starting tonight.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If he's healthy, I can see Onuska starting on Sunday as he had success against the Sting last time around.

Hope you are right,like u say Onuska starts vs Sarnia,back to Medina Thursday vs Saginaw and then to Onuska vs his former team London here next Saturday.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I know this is most likely directed at me and as usual it is taking what was posted completely out of context to fit the narrative of a bullshitter.

This comes from when I posted after the deadline that adding at the deadline, particularly Perrott were moves a buyer would make while moving McDonald, who had the 2nd most goals on the team at the time while not replacing his goals with another addition was normally a seller's move.

Keeping Henault, the team's worst D, particularly in his own zone, neutral zone and trying not to turn over the puck at the offensive zone blueline was a big mistake. Having made that mistake while adding a number one D and keeping Henault as the team's number one D is an even bigger mistake that quite possibly will cost this team when the playoffs come around and D play becomes more prevalent.

Failing to go all the way with assets left was extremely poor decision making by Bowler and likely costs this team.

A team built on the premise that they can outscore opponents on a run to a championship when anyone who has ever watched more than one playoff game at nearly any level knows that's not how you build a contender, particularly when you trade one of your top scorers without replacing the goal scoring dealt away.

People trying to sell this crop as the right moves are either clueless or full of something that they don't make waders big enough to wade through.

The team is doing well, 100% agree.

The team is built for a long playoff run, certainly doesn't look like it when the moves made appear to contradict the approach taken.

Is this team a contender? For a regular season title they are.

Are they likely to get to the Memorial Cup tournament? I wouldn't bet on it.

Guzda was moved for a 3rd this year and 5th in 2023. You could have recouped any assets moved for Guzda moving Henault and come out whole in the end. Barrie wasn't great early on but you know what helped them become stable?? Yeah we don't need to go that deep.

The talk about Medina and how every game is some type of referendum on how good he is or whether he's average has become absolutely nauseating. Medina could come out and stink it up and we would have that game ignored in a sample size. We could mention how our resident Ray Finkle thought Anthony Popovich was extremely average he of the .899 sv% they won the OHL title with him. A similar goalie now with Windsor Medina is suddenly a terrific goaltender. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodge that's what it's come to.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
For sure that was the reason. My point was if spectators are capped at 500 and all are crammed in only a few sections, it defeats the purpose of limiting fans. Why not allow half capacity and spread them away from each other all around. Just shows the restriction is stupid and does not promote the distancing it was intended to do.

Absolutely

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ok so you 2 aren’t going to agree at all. But this also shows how stats can be interpreted differently. Again it’s why I love the eye test. Imho he’s inconsistent, but like I also said he can change that narrative.
This team is playing better and it shows. Still concerns that persist, they refuse to play 60 minutes!! That’s huge, can we all imagine just how good they could be??? There’s some internal strife that needs to get ironed out. The D needs to figure a few issues out, clearing the net/slot area and the decision making of a few. Where is the actual spot the goaltending sits?? Can it get better, is this it, injury issues…? Can they figure out how to keep the goals coming in a stifling D push from the other side? That’s something they are struggling with and that’s what they likely see in the playoffs.
Cautiously optimistic for sure but still to many uncertainties to nail this team down.
Let’s see them beat Brochiu tonight, that may answer some questions I have. They MUST figure him out!

Not sure how you can say Medina is inconsistent
His 1st 6 games ,Windsor went 1-3-0-2 his goals against average was 3.99 and save percentage was .862 pretty bad numbers overall for sure.
His next 6 games Windsor goes 6-0,his goals against average was 1.66 and his save percentage was .936
Huge improvement for the team and himself.
Then he gets hurt,when he returns for the last 7 games he played,team goes 5-2, his goals against average was 1.91,save percentage was .884,but that was with the losses 6 goals against Kitchener at Kitchener with 8 players out most due to Covid except Cuylle, and then the 6 goals at Sarnia,the last 3 games he has allowed 7 goals total and Windsor has won all 3
Last night he played for the 1st time in almost 2 weeks because of Covid.
Another important point about Medina,when he is in goal the PK is operating at 88.3 efficiency on the road and 82.18 % when he plays at home.
Mississauga is 1st in the league with 85%effiency on the PK
His numbers are because of 1 of 2 things, either the team defensively is great on the PK or its because he is great on the PK,which is it,you and others have knocked the D in the past and now.
Me I think the goalie is a teams best PK guy and he is showing it.
The other goalies especially Downey and Tovell don't come close,Onuska is catching up and getting better in this area.
Teflon when a goalie goes 11-2 in his last 13,he is not inconsistent, he and the team are playing very well for the most part.
I have no concerns moving forward, this team is 13-3-2 in their last 18 for me its fantastic and they are getting contributions from almost everyone.
No one in this conference scares me a bit and their record against the 4 other teams doesn't come close to what the other 4 teams records against each other.
Windsor far superior.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
For sure that was the reason. My point was if spectators are capped at 500 and all are crammed in only a few sections, it defeats the purpose of limiting fans. Why not allow half capacity and spread them away from each other all around. Just shows the restriction is stupid and does not promote the distancing it was intended to do.

I don't think they care anymore frankly. Wings game on Monday had maybe 15k, no masks, people enjoying themselves. People are just fed up now and would welcome being closer to people.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Guzda was moved for a 3rd this year and 5th in 2023. You could have recouped any assets moved for Guzda moving Henault and come out whole in the end. Barrie wasn't great early on but you know what helped them become stable?? Yeah we don't need to go that deep.

The talk about Medina and how every game is some type of referendum on how good he is or whether he's average has become absolutely nauseating. Medina could come out and stink it up and we would have that game ignored in a sample size. We could mention how our resident Ray Finkle thought Anthony Popovich was extremely average he of the .899 sv% they won the OHL title with him. A similar goalie now with Windsor Medina is suddenly a terrific
goaltender. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodge that's what it's come to.

His overall numbers show otherwise and that bothers you( meaning Medina)
We will see how far Barrie goes,their guys keep getting suspended and for long periods of time

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Many ohl coaches have split up a dynamic F pairing mid season for stretches. It's not unusual. I'm actually a fan of it.
Development n preparation. Slightly different role, different in game situations, may help another F gain confidence playing with a top gun, new challenges during a long season, non reliance on 1 line.....
The team is still scoring and winning so I'm not sure the concern. Savard can always put them back together. I think based on feedback here there are bigger concerns for the team.

Hoping for a good game tonight. Who knows but I'm no betting the farm on London. I'd pick the Spits actually.

HL, any covid factors/or others you wanna mention pre game? Other than the BUG tonight any other Spits injuries or covid setbacks? Are the Windsor players good to go after an issue 2 weeks ago?
Back to back comes to mind, to offset the more recent London covid issues.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Many ohl coaches have split up a dynamic F pairing mid season for stretches. It's not unusual. I'm actually a fan of it.
Development n preparation. Slightly different role, different in game situations, may help another F gain confidence playing with a top gun, new challenges during a long season, non reliance on 1 line.....
The team is still scoring and winning so I'm not sure the concern. Savard can always put them back together. I think based on feedback here there are bigger concerns for the team.

Hoping for a good game tonight. Who knows but I'm no betting the farm on London. I'd pick the Spits actually.

HL, any covid factors/or others you wanna mention pre game? Other than the BUG tonight any other Spits injuries or covid setbacks? Are the Windsor players good to go after an issue 2 weeks ago?

Heard 7-8 guys on the Spits have dysentery, some players tried to ford the Thames River didn't work out very well. Going to have to ask a lot of the players to step up with this adversity.

member 71782

His 1st 6 games ,Windsor went 1-3-0-2 his goals against average was 3.99 and save percentage was .862 pretty bad numbers overall for sure.
His next 6 games Windsor goes 6-0,his goals against average was 1.66 and his save percentage was .936
Then he gets hurt,when he returns for the last 7 games he played,team goes 5-2, his goals against average was 1.91,save percentage was .884,but that was with the losses 6 goals against Kitchener at Kitchener with 8 players out most due to Covid except Cuylle, and then the 6 goals at Sarnia,the last 3 games he has allowed 7 goals total and Windsor has won all 3
Another important point about Medina,when he is in goal the PK is operating at 88.3 efficiency on the road and 82.18 % when he plays at home.
His numbers are because of 1 of 2 things, either the team defensively is great on the PK or its because he is great on the PK,which is it,you and others have knocked the D in the past and now.
The other goalies especially Downey and Tovell don't come close,Onuska is catching up and getting better in this area.
Teflon when a goalie goes 11-2 in his last 13,he is not inconsistent, he and the team are playing very well for the most part.
I have no concerns moving forward, this team is 13-3-2 in their last 18 for me its fantastic and they are getting contributions from almost everyone.
No one in this conference scares me a bit and their record against the 4 other teams doesn't come close to what the other 4 teams records against each other.
Windsor far superior.

Medina in his first 6 games gave up 5 goals 3xs.

Medina in his last 7 games gave up 6 goals 2xs.

The good stretch in between makes him consistent.

In the beginning of the season when both Windsor's special teams sucked you would use Medina giving up fewer 5 v 5 goals as a positive, kind of brushing off the short handed goals they gave up as simply being short handed.

Once Medina came back from injury and he played better for a few weeks it became all about how bad Downey was giving up PK goals and that's when your goaltender being the best PKer became a thing, when Medina had those couple of good weeks.

Context.

It's good to see some improvement in the PK. Keeping more shots to the outside, adding multiple players who have better defensive games than much of the roster that was already here had, players like Johnston exceeding expectations become a threat when on the PK forcing their opponents to be more aware of where he and others are on the ice all making the job easier for the goaltenders, including Medina. There's lots that go into why and how the PK has made some improvements including how their opponents PP is doing at the time. It's not a this or that situation as much as you may wish for it to be.

No one scares you in the conference?

Let's see how they play against London tonight and the rest of the season. Can they beat Brochu and then do it again and again?

We know London could beat Windsor before they got their free additions on D. How does Windsor fair against their improved D.

Windsor should be able to beat anyone on any given night and while they'll never win them all they do struggle more against some teams than others.

Reactions: aresknights

member 71782

You know that question can't be answered until after the game is played. Factors don't come into play until the result is known.

If Windsor loses, factors, if they win then of course the dominant team that should have won did while overcoming all kinds of adversity.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You know that question can't be answered until after the game is played. Factors don't come into play until the result is known.

If Windsor loses, factors, if they win then of course the dominant team that should have won did while overcoming all kinds of adversity.

Factors are often laid out pre game to set the table thou. Gotta let it marinate, and then it's easier to claim overcoming adversity or that someone knew before they were limited. A just in case kinda thing ;)

I guess the refs situation n calls can't be called out pregame. There is that.

Reactions: member 71782

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Windsor far superior.

Just from the outside n not watching many Spits games, these #s you present seem to favoutmr inconsistent more than your claim. JMO.

And again the covid factor. That is 2x in the last week you used it. Once players missed a game so Medina off the hook vs. KTown. The other vs. Sarnia. To back up your assertion you would admit it's a benefit for Spits tonight? You said you would in response to the Sarnia game where some Spits fans said that Windsor caught a break without their top 2 Gs, top D, another top 4 D.....

Yes I know Spits used a few goalies this year but vortex matters. Age n gap in talent were worse for Sarnia. Context.

It's ok if you dont respond or live up to your claims/posts. It's all public.

Again I think Spits win based on recent play n match up tonight. And I will say kudos if it happens with no excuses.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The way Windsor been pulling out games with only playing a total of 2 periods most games, they have a good chance at winning tonight. They hsve been on a littke roll. Good to see it continue tonight.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Medina in his first 6 games gave up 5 goals 3xs.

Medina in his last 7 games gave up 6 goals 2xs.

The good stretch in between makes him consistent.

In the beginning of the season when both Windsor's special teams sucked you would use Medina giving up fewer 5 v 5 goals as a positive, kind of brushing off the short handed goals they gave up as simply being short handed.

Once Medina came back from injury and he played better for a few weeks it became all about how bad Downey was giving up PK goals and that's when your goaltender being the best PKer became a thing, when Medina had those couple of good weeks.

Context.

It's good to see some improvement in the PK. Keeping more shots to the outside, adding multiple players who have better defensive games than much of the roster that was already here had, players like Johnston exceeding expectations become a threat when on the PK forcing their opponents to be more aware of where he and others are on the ice all making the job easier for the goaltenders, including Medina. There's lots that go into why and how the PK has made some improvements including how their opponents PP is doing at the time. It's not a this or that situation as much as you may wish for it to be.

No one scares you in the conference?

Let's see how they play against London tonight and the rest of the season. Can they beat Brochu and then do it again and again?

We know London could beat Windsor before they got their free additions on D. How does Windsor fair against their improved D.

Windsor should be able to beat anyone on any given night and while they'll never win them all they do struggle more against some teams than others.

I will say if Sarnia can beat London again and again,4 straight times Windsor can.
You saw London's record vs the 4 other top teams in the conference and it wasn't close to Windsor's is.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just from the outside n not watching many Spits games, these #s you present seem to favoutmr inconsistent more than your claim. JMO.

And again the covid factor. That is 2x in the last week you used it. Once players missed a game so Medina off the hook vs. KTown. The other vs. Sarnia. To back up your assertion you would admit it's a benefit for Spits tonight? You said you would in response to the Sarnia game where some Spits fans said that Windsor caught a break without their top 2 Gs, top D, another top 4 D.....

Yes I know Spits used a few goalies this year but vortex matters. Age n gap in talent were worse for Sarnia. Context.

It's ok if you dont respond or live up to your claims/posts. It's all public.

Again I think Spits win based on recent play n match up tonight. And I will say kudos if it happens with no excuses.

2 bad outings in 13 games is not inconsistent in my view,and regardless if it was Medina or anyone else,having 8 players out in one those games,me I give a pass to the goalie and team,and I dont care who the goalie was.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Medina is fine, he's an above-average goalie, it's as simple as that, you guys have to over analyze everything. Some people on here believe he is below average, and there is nothing you can say that will change their mind. He could have 3 shutouts in a row and people would complain about him. He's not a star goalie, but is good.

Reactions: scokan and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Give me a goaltender that allows 5+ goals twice in 13 games, especially with this offence, and I like our chances. Could he be better with his IN-GAME consistency? Yes. There are still stops he should make, but doesn't, and stops he shouldn't make, but does. In the end, though, he's gotten the job done far more often than not. Given how he started, it's night-and-day and credit given where it's due.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Give me a goaltender that allows 5+ goals twice in 13 games, especially with this offence, and I like our chances. Could he be better with his IN-GAME consistency? Yes. There are still stops he should make, but doesn't, and stops he shouldn't make, but does. In the end, though, he's gotten the job done far more often than not. Given how he started, it's night-and-day and credit given where it's due.

Agreed ,nice to see someone who recognizes very solid play for once.
Will be interesting how Medina performs in a back to back after missing the last 12 days.
Wish Zito were in the lineup, actually his 14 goals on the season despite missing 7 games would be 2nd on the Knights behind Luke Evangelista.
That being said Windsor is 7-0 this season with Zito out of the lineup,hope that continues, they are 4-1 with Cuylle out,team seems to have ability to overcome injuries and absences to key guys,sign of a good team.

Reactions: OHLTG

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
2 bad outings in 13 games is not inconsistent in my view,and regardless if it was Medina or anyone else,having 8 players out in one those games,me I give a pass to the goalie and team,and I dont care who the goalie was.

I looked at all your stars you posted not half of them. Sorry.
You say you don't care who the goalie was u would give them a pass but you also said/posted you would say Spits have an adv. in a game if players/opponents/team were just getting over Covid as you did with Spits vs. Sting just a week ago lol but have yet to do so for tonight. All good we all know.
So do the Spits have an adv cause London players are getting over a canceled weekend from Covid cases last weekend? I know you wont admit it ;)
Cmon show compassion for the Knights players like ya called out Spits posters on for saying cleared to play is good to go. Or is that a one way street?

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
According to Savard's presser last night its going to Medina starting not because of what most might think,it's because Onuska had 4 or 5 days of covid issues, otherwise he would be starting tonight.

Im guessing that letting Medina start to let Onuska get a few extra days of rest b4 starting. We have seen even NHL players Struggle with the conditioning level the first 2-3 games back after missing time bc of covid plus with Medina playing better his last few games made it easier to give Onuska the extra 3 days rest. Just my opinion as it seems like not only the entire CHL but the Spitfires are taking it serious when a player catches covid especially with them being teenagers/young adults who have their whole lives infront of them

member 71782

Must have crossed the company line again.

3 of 6 giving up 5 or more is inconsistent.

2 of 7 giving up 6 is inconsistent.

5 of 19 giving up 5 or more is inconsistent.

6 decent games in the middle is not consistent. It's 6 decent games, well most of them were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad