Windsor Spitfires 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Attack Bear Spits

The Spits played their 3rd poor game in a row and this time it wasn't against one of the bottom feeders. They found out they couldn't go through the motions and paid for trying to.
Owen Sound played their back up goalie and he was able to stifle the Spit attack.
Logan Brown got tossed for a questionable slew footing call which didn't help matters.
No doubt it will be reviewed but probably not until after today's game against the Ice Dogs.
As for the game itself it seemed that the Spit problems stemmed from the changed lines the Spits tried to employ. If I didn't know better I'd say that the Spits were attempting to showcase Soberh and Kirwan and if they were it didn't work.
If the Spits use DiPietro today they had better tighten up defensively and stay out of the penalty box.

*****#OHL has reviewed match penalty to #Spitfires F Logan Brown for slewfooting and issues a 2-game suspension.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Didn't see the game and only heard about it,seems they need to play with a bit more desperation to their game.
7 goals for in the last 3 games after averaging 4 for the previous 20 won't cut it.Players need to pick it up,goaltending not an issue.
Big game this afternoon,against Josh Ho Sang and the Ice Dogs.
Jordan Maletta another former Spit in the lineup for the Dogs.
Both teams should show up miserable, what with the Dogs losing at Sarnia 6-2 last night,and Windsor's 1st regulation loss at home last night.Windsor was the last team in the league to lose at home in the O.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This was bad. There's no way around it.

Windsor struggled to get any shots on net in the first 30-minutes, and their PP was so bad Niagara may have had more shots than Windsor.

3-0 Niagara final. Dunn with two for the Ice Dogs. DiPietro stood on his head, despite the three goals. If it wasn't for him, it's 6-0.

Spitfires lose D Nother for a while. Hearing upper body injury (not head). I'd imagine he's out a while. Spits also could lose DiGiacinto for a few games. A strangely officiated game (not bad, not good, just...strange) allowed tempers to boil up a bit. Vince Dunn goes high on DiGiacinto behind the net (right in front of me) and Digi loses it. Drops 'em and throws four bombs at Dunn. Dunn never threw back, just took 'em (props for that, I'll admit), but it brought everyone in. Way too much going on to see who was doing what, but ended up being Mantha and Digi thrown out with 5/GM (Digi got extra 2/10).

The crowd was NOT happy with the effort and I don't blame them. Something is off. I can't tell what, but something. You don't score one goal in two home games, and three in total this weekend, without something being off.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
noticed on the bench after seeing Nother, garland motion to rocky collarbone area, so if that's the case he will be for a while.
Horrible string of home games lately, were barely lucky to get points against the storm, then throw up to stinkers on sat and sun. agree if it wasn't for MD, this game would have been out of hand. If CD isn't suspended for his actions today I would be surprised. You don't have the right under no circumstances to continue punching someone in the head area when he isn't fighting back. think that would be bullying.
also of note, saw JHS only have 2 shifts in the first period, after one of the power plays saw him and MW having a little yelling match.. it took the assistant coach to calm ho-sang down.
Hopefully they fix everything thats been wrong the last few games in practice and get ready for the home n home

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nother apparently has a shoulder separation suffered by the hit from Maletta in the 1st,length of time out of lineup not known.
As for Digiacinto, he did ask the guy to go, I know because I asked him,Dunn tried to suck Digiacinto into a penalty,Mantha and Knott both jumped in and threw punches
explains the evening out of penalties.
Not much positive out of this one,other then the opposition only scored 1 even strength goal and that was on a delayed penalty,no problems in goal and defensively.
Terrible special teams both pk and pp has sucked the life out of this team the past 3/4 games,1-33 in the last 5 games.
Doesn't look the team we saw most of the 1st 19 games or so.
Team is not getting blown out in any games but a lot of guys sure are struggling.
No doubt team has missed Logan Brown the last game and half,and unlike before nobody is stepping up.
More on the Brown situation in a moment.
No doubt practice will be interesting this week,1st time team has lost 2 in a row all season, adversity shall we say,no time to panic,though I am sure changes are coming on the pp and pk,prior to next game.
As an aside I hear there are discussions about Sean Day coming here.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If CD isn't suspended for his actions today I would be surprised. You don't have the right under no circumstances to continue punching someone in the head area when he isn't fighting back. think that would be bullying.

Normally I would agree, IF, and only IF, Dunn hadn't done something first. If Dunn was skating around and Digi jumped him, yeah, no way that's acceptable. I can at least understand WHY Digi did it, though, when Dunn got him first. That said, punching is still better than the two-hander Digi got from an Ice Dog a bit earlier. I'd rather a guy drop his gloves and swing if he's pissed at a player for something like that.

As for Nother - that's three possibilities I've heard now - collarbone, shoulder, and conc-like-symptoms. Regardless, it's not good.

I'm very interested in the Day stuff, depending on the price. He could use a change of scenery.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
This was bad. There's no way around it.

Windsor struggled to get any shots on net in the first 30-minutes, and their PP was so bad Niagara may have had more shots than Windsor.

3-0 Niagara final. Dunn with two for the Ice Dogs. DiPietro stood on his head, despite the three goals. If it wasn't for him, it's 6-0.

Spitfires lose D Nother for a while. Hearing upper body injury (not head). I'd imagine he's out a while. Spits also could lose DiGiacinto for a few games. A strangely officiated game (not bad, not good, just...strange) allowed tempers to boil up a bit. Vince Dunn goes high on DiGiacinto behind the net (right in front of me) and Digi loses it. Drops 'em and throws four bombs at Dunn. Dunn never threw back, just took 'em (props for that, I'll admit), but it brought everyone in. Way too much going on to see who was doing what, but ended up being Mantha and Digi thrown out with 5/GM (Digi got extra 2/10).

The crowd was NOT happy with the effort and I don't blame them. Something is off. I can't tell what, but something. You don't score one goal in two home games, and three in total this weekend, without something being off.

It was my first live game off the season. Definitely not what I was expecting with the season they've been having. The officiating I will agree with you completely, it was weird. I sat right behind where the DiGi thing happened, and all I saw was him throw punches at Dunn's face (his gloves were still on) then Mantha and someone else came in for DiGi. I didn't see the hit before that. Fisher got hurt too when he was hit with a point shot. I believe he left but came back to finish the game.

The Spitfires just seemed out of it from the get-go, they couldn't get anything started all game, and the crowd seemed so... dead. I was really surprised at how empty the WFCU Centre was - 3900-something people? I don't think so. But even with a smaller crowd, they can be with the team. It didn't seem like that today - even at the start when the announced the team, it didn't seem like there wasn't anymore cheering then when they announced Niagara. Even when DiPi made an huge save, the cheering was still very low. Is it always like that this season?

Also, during the intermission in the concourse I heard someone say something about a Day-Kirwan trade being worked out. Not sure how legit that is or not, but that's something interesting.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Nother apparently has a shoulder separation suffered by the hit from Maletta in the 1st,length of time out of lineup not known.
As for Digiacinto, he did ask the guy to go, I know because I asked him,Dunn tried to suck Digiacinto into a penalty,Mantha and Knott both jumped in and threw punches
Not much positive out of this one,other then the opposition only scored 1 even strength goal and that was on a delayed penalty,no problems in goal and defensively.
Terrible special teams both pk and pp has sucked the life out of this team the past 3/4 games,1-33 in the last 5 games.
Team is not getting blown out in any games but a lot of guys sure are struggling.
No doubt team has missed Logan Brown the last game and half,and unlike before nobody is stepping up.
No doubt practice will be interesting this week,1st time team has lost 2 in a row all season, adversity shall we say,no time to panic,though I am sure changes are coming on the pp and pk,prior to next game.

HL - were you at the Skate-With-The-Spits after the game? I was planning on asking DiGi if he hated Aagard or Dunn more now but decided against that :laugh:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
KyGuy, it looked like Dunn got the stick up or something on Digi and that's when Digi went off. I didn't catch whether the gloves were on or off. Bring front row - I catch a lot, but do miss a lot. Tough to see everything. Especially when it's all happening in front, don't know which way to look.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Now as promised the Logan Brown thing has the Spits and Brown very upset with the league.As every one knows Brown was assessed a match penalty for what most say was a phantom slew foot, and a two gamer to serve.
What is disturbing is that referee Wolfe who assessed the penalty has had an issue with Jeff Brown, Logans dad for not calling a slew foot that took down Addison for Ottawa,Brown complained to the league about this ref.Fast forward to last night,when Logan got penalty from what I was told by a person who heard the discussion between the 2 refs,Wolfe asked the other if he saw a slewfoot,the other ref no more like a trip,and Wolfe said I am going to call it a slew foot. Doesn't take a genius to figure out Wolfe showing the dad of Brown,there I called a slew foot
If the league allows this,and I can assure you the conversation took place between the 2 refs and what occurred is disgusting
Affecting a young mans career/ reputation is wrong and also affects the team he is playing for.
Do your job Ted Baker and deal with Wolfe and use the Browns as scapegoats.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I remember thinking during the game that Wolfe was off a bit. I didn't know whether it was inexperience or what, but it caught my attention.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I remember thinking during the game that Wolfe was off a bit. I didn't know whether it was inexperience or what, but it caught my attention.

Yes and he missed the obvious head check on Vilardi in the third,which caused McCool to go after Jacob Friend,who earlier served a 10 gamer for a head check.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012

Speaking of Day, that may be true, I heard some stuff at the rink as well, and Day did not dress for today's game vs. London.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
if they are talking about Day.... ask Logan Stanley and luchuk?

That seems high from Windsor's side. Stanley has taken some big steps this year and I feel like he will be a monster down the line. Plus our leading goal scorer, for someone who hasn't progressed as they had hoped? I'd only be interested in Day if the price is cheap (for a player of Day's calibre).

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yes and he missed the obvious head check on Vilardi in the third,which caused McCool to go after Jacob Friend,who earlier served a 10 gamer for a head check.
The 10 gamer was for a slew foot on David Miller who is now missing the 17th game due to an injury suffered from this slew foot.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Is there any video of Brown's 'alleged' slewfoot?

They showed it on the broadcast of today's game. It wasn't a "phantom" slew foot. It should've been called a trip. If you're going by the letter of the law, I guess you can call it a slew foot but it would be a cheap one.

Two for tripping would've been enough IMO.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

They showed it on the broadcast of today's game. It wasn't a "phantom" slew foot. It should've been called a trip. If you're going by the letter of the law, I guess you can call it a slew foot but it would be a cheap one.

Two for tripping would've been enough IMO.

Which is what the other referee said at the penalty box to Wolfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce