OT: Wind Mobile coverage in and around Ottawa

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I am looking at potentially activating two phones with Wind, but have heard their coverage is spotty, even within decent sized cities.

I live in Nepean, right near Prince of Wales and Hunt Club (opposite the River from the Airport).

Anyone live around there have coverage issues with Wind, anyone else on Wind with any insight into coverage in and around Ottawa ?

Their coverage mapper says I should be ok, but i'd trust some first hand accounts over their own view of their coverage.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
The only places that are well known issues for Wind are Barrhaven and Orleans.

You are pretty close to the Barrhaven dead zone so I wouldn't risk it.

On top of that, good luck if you leave the city. I'm sure Wind is probably offering you some great plan with unlimited data or the like, but it isn't worth it when the coverage is so poor.

Source: I sell cellphones.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Using Wind in Gatineau/Hull and it kicks ass.

downtown Ottawa is also good, obviously.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I've only had issues with it on the far side of orleans towards rockland and the edges of stittsville. Don't know much about barhaven, but it works flawlessly everywhere else in the city. Been with wind for 2 years now and I don't regret it, awesome prices and no contracts.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
The signal itself isn't as strong... Oftentimes at work, I won't have coverage but the Bell signal still comes in just fine, so it shows up as Away. Once I get out of the building, it goes back to Wind Home.

I get a full 4 bars in Gatineau normally, losing it somewhere around Eardley on the west side. Downtown is good coverage. In Orleans I tend to have either 0 or 1 bar. Still a half decent signal out in Kanata. No signal inside the CTC but that's probably just my crappy phone since I know others on Bell can get it.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wanted Wind since it's cheap with no contracts, but living in BBQhaven Wind has no coverage so I was out.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
if you get wind don't expect to use your phone in any basements or most large buildings

Sadly this is also the case for my Bell device, allthough i believe the area of Southbank is not the best for reception in general which is where i live as i get about one bar sitting in my living room :(

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I am looking at potentially activating two phones.

Activating 2 phones that you already own or buying their phones? They're on a different band, so you may need to buy their phones.

A friend travels from downtown to Montreal regularly and loves her Wind reception. Doesn't work south of Ottawa though (beyond Manotick).

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I live around there, I can check the quality of service in that area if you want. My Nexus4 flip flops between 3G and HSPA sometimes but overall their coverage is pretty solid. I can drive around the city surfing and using Waze with no problem.

The only spotty coverage I have seen within city limits is Barrhaven(iffy on Fallowfield but works fine on Strandherd) and Oreans(but I almost never go there).

I have no signal on my driveway for some reason as well :laugh: but it works if I pull out onto the road. Nothing in my basement either but neither is my Rogers BB.

Sure Wind doesn't work outside of Ottawa but I never really need data there anyway. If you want unlimited data in the major cities their price can't be beat.

Plus there is talk that Verizon wants to buy them so we way lots of network upgrades(although I imagine prices will go up, hopefully I can be grandfathered in).

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I live around there, I can check the quality of service in that area if you want.

I'd really appreciate that. I have asked a colleague who raves about Wind to come over and let me cruise him around my area (bounded by Prince of Wales, Macfarlane, Merivale, Amberwood) and then along Fallowfield and Woodroffe to see if i'll be in good shape. Basically recreating the "can you hear me now" ads. My offer to him was ice cold beer. I will make the same to you.

PM me to collect once results are in.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
wind is pretty bad in barhaven, but i think you're far enough north to be fine. My dad's on wind and i've used his phone fine at the tim hortons just south of PoW/HC.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Wind is spotty in some spots but always works great in built up areas for the most part. If you aren't doing much travelling where you would need a phone on a highway in the middle of nowhere it is a great choice. Then again if you want you can get some sort of backup pay-as-you-go option to keep in your car if you are worried about it.

The best advice I can give though is to hold off on buying a new phone for just now. As of Dec 2, due to new legislation, cell phone companies will be restricted:

"The new code will allow consumers to:

Terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term.
Cap extra data charges at $50 a month and international data roaming charges at $100 a month to prevent bill shock.
Have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full.
Return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service.
Accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., two-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand. " Link

It isn't a leap forward, but it is a start.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Wind is spotty in some spots but always works great in built up areas for the most part. If you aren't doing much travelling where you would need a phone on a highway in the middle of nowhere it is a great choice. Then again if you want you can get some sort of backup pay-as-you-go option to keep in your car if you are worried about it.

The best advice I can give though is to hold off on buying a new phone for just now. As of Dec 2, due to new legislation, cell phone companies will be restricted:

"The new code will allow consumers to:

Terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term.
Cap extra data charges at $50 a month and international data roaming charges at $100 a month to prevent bill shock.
Have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full.
Return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service.
Accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., two-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand. " Link

It isn't a leap forward, but it is a start.

Unlock any phone if u buy it at full price? I like the sound of that

Reece

Aug 13, 2013
I live on Prince or Wales and switched over to wind using a phone from Fido. The reception is very spotty. I'm not sure if its the handset but the different ppl at Wind have told me that its not and thats just how it is.

It really doesnt matter where I am, it can be at 3G and full bars one second and the moment I try using an app or making a call it will drop down to a couple bars in 'H'. I was at St Laurent last night and I had no bars and no data symbol. Just an empty triangle (which I get a lot of actually). I've even had my signal drop from 3G to 1 bar driving down the highway in the middle of the city

I'm paying $50 less than I was at Fido so I dont really mind the drop calls or having to walk around to get a better signal (I've also found that if I turn my data setting on and off or switch flight mode on and off it will jump start the signal to where it should be). I don't use my phone that much either. But its a trade off; pay twice as much and have hassle free calls/data or go to Wind and risk smashing your phone in a fit of frustration.

If youre a person who is on their phone for business all the time, I wouldn't recommend it because it can be very sketchy. It can go from great to infuriating. Its bad in buildings and basements.Dont listen to ppl who say otherwise because often theyre unaware that there are cell boosters nearby and for places were there arent...sketchy

I'm still sticking with them though until prices from other companies start to come down. Canada has the highest cell fees only because that's what the companies want to charge you and wont change until there are more low fee companies out there to compete with them.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Wonder how much monthly plans will increase when the new rules come into play.

Looks like Rogers has changed to the 2 year contracts.

For an Iphone 5 16GB it used to be $199 on a 3 year and now it's showing as $249/2yr contract...

Same prices for plans.

so $50 increase for 1 year less of contract..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad