GDT: Win and We're f***ING IN!: Maple Leafs @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Just to put it bluntly, if we get rid of Severson it’s gonna be for a very good player. And it will probably take more than Severson, but it will be for a very good player. An exceptionally good talent.
I have full confidence in Shero. He knows what he has in Severson. I really hope they get him in against Washington. A motivated Severson playing like he can is the second best defenseman on the team.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I hope not, because I think we need him. My ideal scenario is that both Moore and Lovejoy aren’t here next year.

I definitely want the Devils to keep Lovejoy for the last year of his contract, he only makes $2.67M, that's good value for a veteran defenseman presence with > 50 games of Stanley Cup playoff experience, even in the #6 or #7 slot.

The guys that have the puck more will also lead in giveaways.

This is true, which is why turnover differential is more important, and Moore & Severson are the worst two on the Devils defense for that metric.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Now I'm picturing them both on an apple turnovers box like the ones people make for players all the time

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is true, which is why turnover differential is more important, and Moore & Severson are the worst two on the Devils defense for that metric.

Severson has a better ratio than Vatanen and Moore..the puck movers.

Vatanen has 16 takeaways to 32 giveaways

Severson has 26 takeaways to 49 giveaways.

Moore 16 takeaways to 47 giveaways

Mueller .11 and 11

Greene 24 takeaways 37 giveaways

Lovejoy 22 takeaways 26 giveaways

Butcher 20 takeaways 36 giveaways

Severson also leads the defense in takeaways

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It is a stupid stat. Good creative players will have a lot of giveaways because they are all going to have a good portion of high risk plays that fail.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It is a stupid stat. Good creative players will have a lot of giveaways because they are all going to have a good portion of high risk plays that fail.
that's def not to say that their decision making can't be improved, but i think we'd have to take a look at their specific giveaways/tendencies to address that. that's what the coaches are supposed to be for

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh crap, almost forgot about this one.

mCGIjIw.gif

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Who could we realistically trade Severson for? Do we still need a LHD upgrade after how well Mueller is playing?... but I don't think I've ever seen a trade like that... young promising D traded for another young promising LHD.

I agree on signing Carlson
I'd go for Klefbom. Edmonton was apparently taking offers on him to get a scoring winger for McD. He had a down year, and it doesn't surprised me to see Chiarelli sell low.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
One thing for sure, Severson leads the team in bad pinches. And to be honest dude is below average defensively.

And lol, Carlsson has 65 points. Please don't include him in the same sentence.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One thing for sure, Severson leads the team in bad pinches. And to be honest dude is below average defensively.

And lol, Carlsson has 65 points. Please don't include him in the same sentence.
You will hate him, guaranteed. He had 9 goals and 37 points last year. He will likely be somewhere between there and 50 realistically. He has 28 assists on the PP this year, that will be tough to do again without being on the Caps PP.

And of course he’s better than Severson, he’s 5+ years older and will be paid twice as much.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Also “soft” Damon Severson has 106 hits to Carlson’s 46 and he plays 5 more minutes a game. Again, not saying he’s better, I’m saying that you will hate him for the same reasons you hate Severson if that’s what you spend most of your time on HF doing.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Severson has a better ratio than Vatanen and Moore..the puck movers.

Severson is behind Mueller, Lovejoy, Greene, and Butcher if you solely look at the ratio.

But if you look at net takeaways and giveaways divided by minutes played, which seems more logical to me, when you do that you get in order from best to worst:

1) Mueller
2) Lovejoy
3) Greene
4) Santini
5) Vatanen
6) Butcher
7) Severson
8) Moore

Severson actually coughs up the puck more per minute than any other Devils defesenman. The reason he's not in last place is because he steals the puck more than Moore does, and Moore also coughs up the puck a lot.

Reactions: Take Notes

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
You will hate him, guaranteed. He had 9 goals and 37 points last year. He will likely be somewhere between there and 50 realistically. He has 28 assists on the PP this year, that will be tough to do again without being on the Caps PP.

And of course he’s better than Severson, he’s 5+ years older and will be paid twice as much.

Who said I want Carlson?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It kinda is unusual for a former 1st round pick 4 years after his draft year, 23 years old, to have only played 81 NHL games and still playing large swaths of games in remediation minutes.

That's not a typical path of a top 4 defender. That's not to say he can't be, but there is no real evidence of it so far.

You mean just like there was no evidence that Kinkaid would suddenly play like a starting goaltender?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Take Notes

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
To the extent that it matters, Mueller is probably our nastiest defenseman, especially if Moore is moving on. I liked his willingness to get into it with JVR last night.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson is behind Mueller, Lovejoy, Greene, and Butcher if you solely look at the ratio.

But if you look at net takeaways and giveaways divided by minutes played, which seems more logical to me, when you do that you get in order from best to worst:

1) Mueller
2) Lovejoy
3) Greene
4) Santini
5) Vatanen
6) Butcher
7) Severson
8) Moore

Severson actually coughs up the puck more per minute than any other Devils defesenman. The reason he's not in last place is because he steals the puck more than Moore does, and Moore also coughs up the puck a lot.

It doesn't make sense to look at the net. You are punishing a high event guy and rewarding a low event player in the case of Santini who has far and away the worst ratio among our defensemen with 4 takeaways and 13 giveaways Every defenseman is going to be upside-down in the ratio... Mueller is just an insignificant sample size and probably shouldn't even be counted.

If you are looking at ratios minutes shouldn't matter...2 to 1 is 2 to 1 whether it's 1 minute or 1000

Severson may cough the puck more than any other player, but he also takes it away more than any other player.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Count me in on the being leery about Carlson train. I think he's a good defenseman, but worth 7-8 million a year? That's just a hell of a lot of money, and it's coming off a career year for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad