GDT: Win and We're f***ING IN!: Maple Leafs @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fair point but given the investment in Mueller it seems probable they will give him the chance next season to expand his role and at least so far he has not looked out of place with the minutes they have given him. I’d be surprised if they kept Moore out of concern for Mueller if that is even part of the calculus on potentially retaining Moore.
It's dangerous. Banking on one who has averaged 15:35 TOI in his career to replace one that has averaged 20, albeit crappy minutes... that's a giant leap of faith.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I am. I think it's going to lead to trade unfortunately.
I don't think so, I think we will let Moore walk. If we re-sign him then I firmly believe Severson might get shipped out.

And it's not dangerous if you've seen him play. Mueller is good in his own end, and offensively he makes smart pinches.

Not sure if it's a coincidence but I don't recall any 2 on 1 or breakaway since Severson has been riding the press box. Severson generates chances in the offensive zone, there's no doubt about that, but lately, he often did it to the expense of leaving an odd man rush the other way and that's simply not a sustainable way of playing hockey.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think so, I think we will let Moore walk. If we re-sign him then I firmly believe Severson might get shipped out.
I don't know a single thing but I would bet money his camp has already been in Shero's office.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
SHORT VERSION: Just looking at Mueller's ATOI is silly.

LONG VERSION: With regard to ATOI, Mueller was injured about 10 seconds into his first shift, and then when he finally returned from injury the Devils eased him back with a few 13/14 minute games. Just taking the "10 second game" out for fairness, Mueller's TOI is above 17 minutes per game.

Taking out the games when the Devils eased Mueller back in from injury and he's over 18 minutes per game.

This is nothing remotely unusual or "bad" for a kid who started the season with a "grand total" of about 50 NHL games under his belt.

Reactions: My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

LONG VERSION: With regard to ATOI, Mueller was injured about 10 seconds into his first shift, and then when he finally returned from injury the Devils eased him back with a few 13/14 minute games. Just taking the "10 second game" out for fairness, Mueller's TOI is above 17 minutes per game.

Taking out the games when the Devils eased Mueller back in from injury and he's over 18 minutes per game.

This is nothing remotely unusual or "bad" for a kid who started the season with a "grand total" of about 50 NHL games under his belt.

Before his injury, Mueller was one of our best defenseman. People didn't want to admit it, because of their Severson love.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's dangerous. Banking on one who has averaged 15:35 TOI in his career to replace one that has averaged 20, albeit crappy minutes... that's a giant leap of faith.

I don’t disagree there is a risk element. That said there are only at most 8 spots on the defense and the last two spots can languish for long periods of time. I guess you can bring back Moore and Mueller can play the minutes Lovejoy is currently playing with Butcher but absent a trade I’d be surprised if Santini spends any significant time in the AHL next season. The team can’t let Santini and Mueller ride the pine that much next season if they want them to continue to develop. It would be great if Butcher can play more tough defensive minutes but that’s asking a lot of him right now. I like Sevs and think he’s gotten a bit of a raw deal. If the team moves on from Moore then Sevs plays those minutes. NJ has four young defenders and they need to play if they are going to get any better. I guess we will see how Mueller looks in the playoffs and the team will have to make the tough choices after that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

It kinda is unusual for a former 1st round pick 4 years after his draft year, 23 years old, to have only played 81 NHL games and still playing large swaths of games in remediation minutes.

That's not a typical path of a top 4 defender. That's not to say he can't be, but there is no real evidence of it so far.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It kinda is unusual for a former 1st round pick 4 years after his draft year, 23 years old, to have only played 81 NHL games and still playing large swaths of games in remediation minutes.

Other than fans, nobody cares what round you were drafted in, it's how you're currently playing that matters.

Mueller is currently playing very well and not taking dumb risky chances that hurt his team, hence Mueller's starting.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Other than fans, nobody cares what round you were drafted in, it's how you're currently playing that matters.

Mueller is currently playing very well and not taking dumb risky chances that hurt his team, hence Mueller's starting.
Your right nobody cares what round you were drafted in...but that has nothing to do with what I said. What you quoted was obviously about his playing opportunity and not his draft position.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

That's not a typical path of a top 4 defender. That's not to say he can't be, but there is no real evidence of it so far.

There's also no real evidence against it though

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Are we going to completely ignore the fact that Mueller was playing behind Vlasic, P. Martin, Schlemko, and Dillon (all LHD) on a top 3 team in the West? We're really surprised that he didn't play more? I am not.

I was going to mention that. The Sharks have arguably the best defense in the entire NHL.

If the Sharks didn't have an embarrassment of defensive riches, it's highly unlikely they ever would have moved Mueller.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
IMO if we played Mueller during his 13 game stretch of scratches we'd definitely be locked in at #2 in the Metro right now.

He is the difference maker on the team

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What you quoted was obviously about his playing opportunity and not his draft position.

Okay.... I'll bite.

By your logic (not mine), what year do you think Damon Severson would have earned a starting defense position on the Sharks roster?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The thing with Mueller, and this is the case for a lot of our players to be honest (which is why we've had so much success so far), is he fits the system very well. A smooth skating defenseman that can jump into the rush, lead the rush, and get back in time to defend. We're a team that relies a lot on our transition game and Mueller is strong in that area. So hey, maybe he's not the best defenseman but I think it's also crucial that we have players that fit into our system. He does.

Reactions: oxman44

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Are we going to completely ignore the fact that Mueller was playing behind Vlasic, P. Martin, Schlemko, and Dillon (all LHD) on a top 3 team in the West? We're really surprised that he didn't play more? I am not.

absolutely not... they gave up a high pick for him.... based on what i see, if he can continue on this path it will be a steal of a deal.. he has been really good since return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad