Wilson vs Carlyle

cajun

Dec 7, 2013
Toronto's problem is when they had Wilson as a coach he had a bunch of third line plugs he tried to turn into a rushing hockey team. Now Carlyle has got skilled goal scorers and he's trying to make them into a defensive hockey team.This team will never win with this coach

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
There is just no pleasing you people.... I mean not too long ago myself included we were asking to axe Wilson now it seems like some people are forgetting how ABYSMAL this team was under him. Let me remind you our PK was ranked 30th. We continued to finish in the bottom half of the league and our goaltenders were hung out to dry every night.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
Toronto's problem is when they had Wilson as a coach he had a bunch of third line plugs he tried to turn into a rushing hockey team. Now Carlyle has got skilled goal scorers and he's trying to make them into a defensive hockey team.This team will never win with this coach

What we should do is trade Kessel for Chara and JVR for Big Buff.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I think we'd be better with Ron Wilson to be honest. At least his teams didn't get doubled up in shots on a regular basis and he also didn't have the luxury of relying on his goaltenders to win games for the team. In fact, they had to win in spite of their goaltenders more often than not.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I think we'd be better with Ron Wilson to be honest. At least his teams didn't get doubled up in shots on a regular basis and he also didn't have the luxury of relying on his goaltenders to win games for the team. In fact, they had to win in spite of their goaltenders more often than not.

No we just got doubled up on the scoreboard.... Seriously I want no part in a Wilson type coach.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
There is just no pleasing you people.... I mean not too long ago myself included we were asking to axe Wilson now it seems like some people are forgetting how ABYSMAL this team was under him. Let me remind you our PK was ranked 30th. We continued to finish in the bottom half of the league and our goaltenders were hung out to dry every night.

this years pk is getting pretty close to 30 right now

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Wilson's mistake was not having two goalies that could regularly make 48 of 50 saves a night. Carlyle is just too much of a tactician, he could tell this would be a winning strategy.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Randy brought the shot blockers in his suitcase and that's helped
And they collapse in front of their net well to keep it to the outside
But they don't do a very good job of getting it out :(

Ron Wilson's game was one dimensional
Keep your feet moving!"
Outscore your mistakes, keep pressing offensively

Both seem flawed

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
That's to be expected when your goaltenders can barely post .900SV%.

But how much of that was because of a poor system for goalies?

Don't get me wrong I am not saying Carlyle is perfect because quite frankly I hate his get a 3 goal lead and sit back but I want no part in a run and gun style.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Where is Wilson coaching now.....oh no where....that should be enough for anyone to understand the difference.

One coaches teams that make the playoffs, the other not!

leafstilldeath*

2 wrongs don't make a right. Wilson and Carlyle both are morons

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Wilson had very little to work with while he was coach. I'm not saying I'd rather him but his record with the current roster would be far better than what he posted with the likes of Lebda and Toskala.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Fighting on the left, we have Ron "Hanta Yo" Wilson. With a record of 648-561-101, and employing the run-and-gun system, he'll look to pepper his opponent with low percentage chance pot shots hoping one sneaks in. His weapons will be his early extension and long-time friend Burke. On the right we have Randy "Norris Winner" Carlyle. With a record of 305-208-69, he'll employ the rope-a-dope system, looking to go onto the defensive and hit back whenever his opponent is caught off guard. His weapons will be the enforcers he plays in every single ****** game. Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!

Penalty Kill Icing*

This is like choosing between Raycroft and Toskala.

cajun

Dec 7, 2013
You people are hilarious. at what point did I say I preferred wilson over Carlyle.I simply pointed out that each coach's system didn't work with the personnel they have or had to work with.Carlyle can not win with the system he is currently employing and the personnel he has

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Expecting your players to play 'defense' when in the defensive zone isn't making a team into a defensive team.

The system isn't about collapsing in our end but that's an issue that the players seem to face often. It's an issue that Carlyle doesn't like and he attributes it to the way the players begin to react and make decisions on the ice when put in certain situations. I'm not sure anyone can say for certain what Carlyle's system is exactly because with the amount of complaints he has about the way they play, what the Leafs are currently doing isn't what he wants from them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad