Wilson suspension 20 games repeat offender (update - neutral arbitrator reduces to 14 games)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It looks like the last thread got pushed to NHL Talk after a while, and I'm fairly certain I agree with that decision unless someone can make a case for it to be included here.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If a person continues to do illegal checking in the head after being suspended and told to stop, i feel like there comes to a point of being harsh.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It looks like the last thread got pushed to NHL Talk after a while, and I'm fairly certain I agree with that decision unless someone can make a case for it to be included here.

This may be the first appeal of a DoPS suspension to the CBA neutral arbitrator. Wideman was not a DoPS suspension. I don't believe Raffi Torres appealed to the neutral arbitrator for either of his lengthy suspensions. Other lengthy suspensions like Chris Simon, Jesse Boulerice and Steve Downie pre-dated the creation of the DoPS.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

So, arbitrator didn't take same equation into consideration for increasing length due to closeness of suspensions.

Has sat out 16 games

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
A bit OT but why does the NHLPA always represent the offender in these cases? Shouldn't they be calling for even harsher fines and suspensions half the time if they're also supposed to represent the victims? I don't know much about these things but it seems to me they're always taking the side of the suspendee.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A bit OT but why does the NHLPA always represent the offender in these cases? Shouldn't they be calling for even harsher fines and suspensions half the time if they're also supposed to represent the victims? I don't know much about these things but it seems to me they're always taking the side of the suspendee.

That's my problem with the union on this issue.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting, the arbitrator must have changed the formula the NHL used. Would very much like to know what other previous suspensions he based the change on.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So breaking down the ruling.

NHL DoPS standard applied was:
- DoPS valued playoff game suspension as being worth approximately 2 regular season games.
- Previous suspension was 3 playoff games (equal to 6 regular season games).
- DoPS applied a 3x multiplier to reach a suspension length of 18 games, then added 2 more for the injury to total 20.

Arbitrator:
- Disagreed with 3x multiplier, and changed the suspension to 2x, keeping everything else intact.
- Suspension changed to 2x multiplier for suspension length of 12 games, then added the 2 for injury to total 14.

So in summary:
- Arbitrator upheld principle of multiplier in subsequent suspensions.
- Arbitrator disagreed with the 3x multiplier, ruled 2x is appropriate.
- Arbitrator upheld playoff game suspensions being equal to 2 regular season games.
- Arbitrator upheld tacking on additional games for injury.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So who pays Wilson the backpay? The NHL or the Capitals? I don't see why the Capitals will be cool with having to pay Wilson when the number of games to suspend him was not their decision.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So who pays Wilson the backpay? The NHL or the Capitals? I don't see why the Capitals will be cool with having to pay Wilson when the number of games to suspend him was not their decision.

Wilson probably.

The fine was greater than his salary. So he'd have to make up the difference from his season signing bonus. Guessing he may have had to put funds in escrow to cover difference between salary and total fine.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's time to put an end to the NHL's Roulette Wheel of Justice - TheHockeyNews

THN looks at suspensions. Argues that perhaps the "roulette wheel of justice" won't continue. And to expect Das to be removed.
(It’s worth noting that Das handles all on-ice discipline appeals and Nicolau handles off-ice appeals. Das took on the Watson appeal only because Nicolau was unavailable.)
As Das pointed out, the length on these suspensions has to be based on formulas that make sense and adhere to precedent. And until the league and players establish a scale of suspensions for headshots and repeat offenders, the NHL Roulette Wheel of Justice™ is going to continue to be the determining factor.

The NHL and NHLPA can do better than this. It will take the kind of willingness to compromise that neither side seems to be in the mood to adopt these days, so it likely won’t happen. So we’ll all be left to guess what punishments players will receive when they step out of line.

So perhaps there will be some changes in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad