Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think 10 games would have gotten the message across just fine.

The problem with 20 is that it sets an awfully high standard going forward, one that I fully do not expect the league to adhere too. That is over the top for no clear intent to injure. Sure he is reckless but maybe the league should build up to 20 games by first starting with a 5 gamer. 3 3 3 20?

I hope folks at home heard us lobbying for his release from prison during intermission, behind Tappen and Bobbie.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
From other people who know more about hockey than us:

"“[The NHL] set the standards, they want to get the dirty stuff out of the game,” Oshie said. “Which I think at least Tom's play was on the ice and he was hitting the guy that had the puck milliseconds before. And then you see tonight the sucker punches that Lars took in. So they kind of set the standard. Marchand has a history, and we trust that they'll do what they're supposed to do and take care of business."

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
From other people who know more about hockey than us:

"“[The NHL] set the standards, they want to get the dirty stuff out of the game,” Oshie said. “Which I think at least Tom's play was on the ice and he was hitting the guy that had the puck milliseconds before. And then you see tonight the sucker punches that Lars took in. So they kind of set the standard. Marchand has a history, and we trust that they'll do what they're supposed to do and take care of business."

Narrator: "They won't."

capsdom86

May 28, 2015
If the NHL is so concerned with player safety and head injuries then Marchand needs to get 20 games for the intentional punches to the head on Eller, including after he had already hit the ice. In fact, to be consistent, they would have to go ahead and pretty much ban fighting.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I think 10 games would have gotten the message across just fine.

The problem with 20 is that it sets an awfully high standard going forward, one that I fully do not expect the league to adhere too. That is over the top for no clear intent to injure. Sure he is reckless but maybe the league should build up to 20 games by first starting with a 5 gamer. 3 3 3 20?

I hope folks at home heard us lobbying for his release from prison during intermission, behind Tappen and Bobbie.
My guess is they are considering the playoff games worth multiple regular season games, so the playoff three is worth a 6 or 9 gamer in the regular season. Its also 4 suspensions in 105 games or something. Tough to say he has learned from the shorter ones.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Narrator: "They won't."

Of course not. DOPs is busy looking up the definition of the word 'consistency'.

So, Willy just needs to be a little more careful on his hits and if retribution or a message is needed, just skate up to a player and let the pounding commence.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
My guess is they are considering the playoff games worth multiple regular season games, so the playoff three is worth a 6 or 9 gamer in the regular season. Its also 4 suspensions in 105 games or something. Tough to say he has learned from the shorter ones.

I agree but with one caveat. That playoff suspension was widely opposed by countless former and likely current NHLers, yet carries the most weight in the formula.

I talked to Jeremy Roenick last night. I should have asked him during a commercial to talk about any suspension worthy events in his career. I did tell him, "we really could have used you in DC all those years", and he said thanks. It was funny hearing all the NBC crew complaining about the odors emanating from the streets of DC.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Welp he got 20

Good thing the public opinion doesnt matter
There's a main board for fans of other teams to go and bitch about Wilson FYI. Yes, judging by your posting history it appears you are indeed a Devils fan and have been very active in the main board Wilson thread.

Oh and it's pretty significant if Bobby Mac was surprised by 20 games considering he's the top league insider out there

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's been pointed out a couple times on the main board, but Tom Wilson will not receive a single paycheck this season as a result of this suspension. Of the $6.1M he was slated to receive in total this season, $5M came as a signing bonus, which leaves only $1.1M in actual salary this season. That's obviously less than the $1.26M fine, so he will not receive a single paycheck this year and has to actually cut a check back to the NHL Emergency Assistance Fund (not sure how escrow will figure into this).

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
It's been pointed out a couple times on the main board, but Tom Wilson will not receive a single paycheck this season as a result of this suspension. Of the $6.1M he was slated to receive in total this season, $5M came as a signing bonus, which leaves only $1.1M in actual salary this season. That's obviously less than the $1.26M fine, so he will not receive a single paycheck this year and has to actually cut a check back to the NHL Emergency Assistance Fund (not sure how escrow will figure into this).

I didnt think it worked that way? The lost money (I thought) was just 20/82 * salary. I didn't think signing bonus' were affected?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didnt think it worked that way? The lost money (I thought) was just 20/82 * salary. I didn't think signing bonus' were affected?
For non-repeat offenders it's games suspended/days in season (roughly 190, varies by year).
For repeat offenders its' games suspended/game in sseason (82).
Both of those use the AAV of the contract for determine salary. AAV includes signing bonuses.

20/82 * 5.166M = $1.26M. We've seen that $1.26M number widely reported.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Of course not. DOPs is busy looking up the definition of the word 'consistency'.

It's not the Department of Fairness. It's the Department of Player Safety. It's their job to solve safety issues. So if they have a guy that's not listening and continuing to injure people in the exact way they're trying to prevent, it's not unreasonable for them to take more drastic action against that player to get the message across.

In other words, it's not their job to make sure everything they do to Tom Wilson equates 100% with the punishments they hand out to other players for other types of infractions. Attempting to compare those things is often wildly unproductive and pointless. Their issue with Tom Wilson may require more drastic action to remedy than the same issue would with another player.

And as much as I agree with Oshie about Marchand, one has little to do with the other. It's not the same thing. The guy is a dickhead that the NHL should beat with a sock full of nickels on a regular basis, but not everything he does compares to these devastating checks Wilson doles out.

Getting punched by a rat-faced midget is not the same as getting hit by a truck.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It's not the Department of Fairness. It's the Department of Player Safety. It's their job to solve safety issues. So if they have a guy that's not listening and continuing to injure people in the exact way they're trying to prevent, it's not unreasonable for them to take more drastic action against that player to get the message across.
I won't stop repeating this: they're sending a wrong message. If a hit that's not egregirously dirty and dangerous is punished way more severely than much more blatant and obvious cheapshots simply because it's made by a player that's been watched more closely, the idea is "don't get too much attention". It's the opposite of making the league safer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

There are some very important quotes in the linked piece for all those trying to gaslight the rest of us with talk about how the team is probably mad at Wilson and the DOPS is in any way clear and fair in the way it has handled him. The direct link:

‘It’s garbage, honestly’: Caps players respond to Tom Wilson suspension

DSP: “Honestly, I think it is garbage if I’m going to be honest,” Smith-Pelly said. “We watched a video from the league saying what hits are good and what aren’t. They showed some hits way worse than that, maybe not in force, but in regards to the head, that were so-called allowed. I guess he just has a different rulebook. It’s garbage, honestly.

“I think we all feel that he went through his shoulder,” Smith-Pelly continued. “The guy has a separated shoulder. He went through his shoulder. Just because it’s him doesn’t mean you have to make a statement or whatever. I mean, I don’t want to say anything too crazy, but it’s garbage.”

I guess now we need to move the goalposts to "of course they're going to say that, it's in their best interest to support him publicly", right?

Even with that kind of candy coating you can't ignore the fact that, as I said before, they have been shown video examples by the league in the past, and there is NO consistency in enforcement. Even the players believe there is a "different rulebook" for Tom Wilson.

Caps fans should not get caught up in the gleeful badmouthing of TW out of some sense of guilt or shame.

And FTR, my initial comments about the latest hit were based on one angle from the very first video. I'd like to see more/better angles now that the players are complaining.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
2) Trolling: Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

In other words, if you are a fan on any opposing team's forum, you are at a disadvantage. Team forums are for the enjoyment of that team's fans and if you pee on their enjoyment you will be removed. If you want a fair playing field go to the neutral main board here.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
I was busy prepping at the Red Carpet yesterday when the news about his suspension broke. A little surprised. Curious how the team plays without him, and whether other players can fill in, in his spot.

Also curious if he will change his play. This 20 game suspension was likely because he was a repeat offender. What happens if he gets in trouble again? How much more severe would it be? At some point you've got to think it'll impact the team

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
My question is where were these guys when Matty Cooke was doing this **** if safety is so important.

This got him 10 games
And 7 Playoff games.

If you make the general assumption that 1 playoff game = 2-3 Reg Season games

That would be 24 to 31 games

So even back in 2011 the DOPS was sick of Matt Cooke

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
On Hockey Central today they mentioned some players and team excecs told them they thought it was a good hit.

Even considering Wilson's history, 20 games is absolutely excessive. I wonder if they went high expecting an appeal and reduction.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
On Hockey Central today they mentioned some players and team excecs told them they thought it was a good hit.

Even considering Wilson's history, 20 games is absolutely excessive. I wonder if they went high expecting an appeal and reduction.

I actually thought this too. Perhaps they even mentioned it in the hearing. "We are going to very publicly send you a message, Tom. So get ready. We are fine if you appeal and it gets reduced to say 12 games.....no problem with us. But the public needs to see us trash you...so again...Get Ready"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad