Willie Desjardins (Part 2) - So far, So good.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, I think it's time for Kassian to be promoted. The fact that guys like Jannik Hansen and Derick Dorsett are getting power play time over him is laughable. I'd love to see what he could do with a guy like Bonino or even Horvat. Kassian has started the least amount of shifts in the offensive zone as any Canucks this year, and that's just baffling.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Another wasted asset?

Like you said, Lack isn't really crucial for the future of this organization with Miller in the books for the next 3 years. Like you said, he is 30 by the time Miller is done.

I don't think anyone can see Lack as the backup here until he is 30, like you aswell indicated. And we should know the goaltending market good enough by now to know that Lack, in this situation he and the Canucks are in, isn't going to fetch anything in a trade.

In terms of what the Canucks will gain from Lack, whether that's quality games on a great contract or a good return in a trade, I'd say that as an asset Lack has gone from great to wasted. Compared to where he was before Miller was signed.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Like you said, Lack isn't really crucial for the future of this organization with Miller in the books for the next 3 years. Like you said, he is 30 by the time Miller is done.

I don't think anyone can see Lack as the backup here until he is 30, like you aswell indicated. And we should know the goaltending market good enough by now to know that Lack, in this situation he and the Canucks are in, isn't going to fetch anything in a trade.

In terms of what the Canucks will gain from Lack, whether that's quality games on a great contract or a good return in a trade, I'd say that as an asset Lack has gone from great to wasted. Compared to where he was before Miller was signed.

Before Miller was signed Lack was a goalie who really hadn't proven anything.
Nothing much has changed. He's been a solid back up and has a great personality but people really tend to jump the gun in saying he was 'great'.
No GM, whether he be Gillis or Benning, was going to go int this season with Lack as our number one.
If Lack performs well as a backup his value will be as high a it was last year.
In my ideal scenario, Markstrom continues to play lights out and we run with Miller/Markstrom either next year or the following year.
Lots of options.

Last edited:

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I'm fairly sure similar things were said about Torts until mid December last year with everyone linking to his segment on 24/7 with his disabled friend and saying how good of a person he was.

Not that I'm discrediting Dejardins, just making observations.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm fairly sure similar things were said about Torts until mid December last year with everyone linking to his segment on 24/7 with his disabled friend and saying how good of a person he was.

Difference being that Torts was playing three lines and playing the Sedins and Kesler over 23 minutes a game.
For what it's worth I think Torts is a good person. Just not a good coach for this team.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
In terms of future value, Markstrom might be a more important player than Lack.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

I guess if that was your first ever exposure to Tortorella it may have helped form an opinion of him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So far....

5vt5s0.gif

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Team started 10-6-2 last year, 9-4 so far this year. California will be make and break 12-4-0 should all but guarantee a playoff spot, 9-7 and unable to beat california teams they have to play in the 1st round raises a ton of questions. If they can get out of California 1-1-1 that will be a pass.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seriously it's ****ing unbelievable how Bieksa is still... still... STILL being put out in critical offensive situations. Powerplay, last minute... holy **** I just can't fathom how in the world the coaches think this is a good idea. It's ****ing mind-boggling how the play keeps dying on his stick and he never creates a dangerous play yet they keep trotting him out there when we need a goal.

Almost halfway through the season now and nothing has changed. He's never been an offensive D-man and he definitely isn't one now. Just stop ****ing putting him out there... for the love of god he is terrible offensively and he's being Kasual Kev in general. Why in the blue hell is he given key offensive opportunities I just can't... why...

why...

why

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Seriously it's ****ing unbelievable how Bieksa is still... still... STILL being put out in critical offensive situations. Powerplay, last minute... holy **** I just can't fathom how in the world the coaches think this is a good idea. It's ****ing mind-boggling how the play keeps dying on his stick and he never creates a dangerous play yet they keep trotting him out there when we need a goal.

Almost halfway through the season now and nothing has changed. He's never been an offensive D-man and he definitely isn't one now. Just stop ****ing putting him out there... for the love of god he is terrible offensively and he's being Kasual Kev in general. Why in the blue hell is he given key offensive opportunities I just can't... why...

why...

why

I agree, but in their defense it's not like this team is loaded with offensive d-men. :(

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
In Willie's defence... he hasn't seen that play 100's of times over Bieksa's career. I think he was trying to show some confidence in Juice to get him going... all his moves can't work out. Hopefully that's the last we've seen of that one.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I agree, but in their defense it's not like this team is loaded with offensive d-men. :(

At least get him off that second unit powerplay. Good lord, the number of times I have seen him make a questionable pass or bobble the puck at the blue line is ridiculous. That powerplay dies on his stick every time.

I would much rather see Tanev there. At least he's able to keep the puck inside the attacking zone and distribute it well.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

why...

why

Bieksas role was actually way down last game, the reason he came on is because tanev was on the final 2 minutes with edler, after they pulled the goalie and dumped it in edler stayed on and went into the offensive zone, tanev was headed with him then decided last minute to peel off for a change.

Obviously you would like to see a 4.6 million d man make the safe play and dump it in the corner, not wait until the forward is directly in front of you and then shoot it off his shin pads. But i do agree bieksas role on the team needs to be minimized somehow, and that wont be easy given our blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad