Post-Game Talk: Willie Desjardins 4, Los Angeles Kings 3: The one with the gilded bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Im 99% sure he means Horvats line because Horvat is a third liner in WDs mind.

Edit: **** nvm.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

So it's Gaunce-Sutter-Godly and Boucher-Chaput-Crammer I guess?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly there are worse players for Goldobin to line up beside than Sutter, given he still needs to acclimatize to the NHL game. Sutter is no world beater but he works hard and is a generally responsible guy.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I would like to see something like this

Daniel-Horvat-Goldobin
Baertschi-Henrik-Boucher
Granlund-Gaunce-Sutter
Cramarossa-Chaput-Megna

And basically even ice time except for the 4th.

But ya, why change anything? Team is on a roll and needs to make the playoffs.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Honestly there are worse players for Goldobin to line up beside than Sutter, given he still needs to acclimatize to the NHL game. Sutter is no world beater but he works hard and is a generally responsible guy.

Defensively he's a mess. I want someone who's good at possessing the puck to play with Goldobin. Not someone who's good at skating around fast in his own zone while the other team has the puck.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I would like to see something like this

Daniel-Horvat-Goldobin
Baertschi-Henrik-Boucher
Granlund-Gaunce-Sutter
Cramarossa-Chaput-Megna

And basically even ice time except for the 4th.

But ya, why change anything? Team is on a roll and needs to make the playoffs.

That line wouldn't touch the puck.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Just do this:

Horvat's defensive game is still a uh...work in progress. And Baertschi struggles in that department as well. I'm not sure saddling them with an enigmatic rookie winger whose most notable deficiency is a lack of defensive awareness is the greatest gift to any of those players.

He should definitely get a look on the PP though. If he can unseat the unstoppable Megna.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Horvat's defensive game is still a uh...work in progress. And Baertschi struggles in that department as well. I'm not sure saddling them with an enigmatic rookie winger whose most notable deficiency is a lack of defensive awareness is the greatest gift to any of those players.

He should definitely get a look on the PP though. If he can unseat the unstoppable Megna.

Let's be honest here. It's much more important to get a look at the kids than win hockey games. Any defensive shortcomings are acceptable.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sutter is just about the worst possible fit for Goldobin, who plays a style that you can't really throw into an up and down grinder role and ask to work up the lineup. Their styles just don't mesh, like putting David Booth with the Sedins.

Even Gaunce and Granlund would be preferable linemates.

I think guys like Eriksson and Baertschi would be a good fit with him.

Personally, if you want to put him in the best/realistic position possible, I would have gone with Eriksson - Gaunce - Goldobin.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Let's be honest here. It's much more important to get a look at the kids than win hockey games. Any defensive shortcomings are acceptable.

I'm not worried about winning the game. I want Goldobin to be able to get acclimatized without spending entire shifts hemmed in his own zone or having the flow of play forced down his throat because his line is a defensive catastrophe.

It's not like he's lining up with Dorsett and a block of granite. Goldobin is a highly creative play making forward and Sutter likes to shoot. It's not a terrible combo for a first look.

The real question for Goldobin will be "does Willie give him a look on the PP". That's where he should be given reign to flash his offensive tools.

Sutter is just about the worst possible fit for Goldobin, who plays a style that you can't really throw into an up and down grinder role and ask to work up the lineup.

There's a question to what degree Sutter "meshes" with anyone given what a weird player he is, but he's not a typical north south grinder. He's a shoot first center with dubious offensive instincts who plays a 60 foot game. Goldobin, from all the footage I've seen, is not a hashmarks sniper who needs a creative centerman to create opportunities for him. He's more of an offensive driver. Sutter is an awkward complimentary player but A) our lineup is presently full of those and B) the two best complimentary players we had just got traded.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not worried about winning the game. I want Goldobin to be able to get acclimatized without spending entire shifts hemmed in his own zone or having the flow of play forced down his throat because his line is a defensive catastrophe.

It's not like he's lining up with Dorsett and a block of granite. Goldobin is a highly creative play making forward and Sutter likes to shoot. It's not a terrible combo for a first look.

The real question for Goldobin will be "does Willie give him a look on the PP". That's where he should be given reign to flash his offensive tools.

There's a question to what degree Sutter "meshes" with anyone given what a weird player he is, but he's not a typical north south grinder. He's a shoot first center with dubious offensive instincts who plays a 60 foot game. Goldobin, from all the footage I've seen, is not a hashmarks sniper who needs a creative centerman to create opportunities for him. He's more of an offensive driver. Sutter is an awkward complimentary player but A) our lineup is presently full of those and B) the two best complimentary players we had just got traded.
I think they're at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. One absolutely NEEDS to play with creative/high-instinct players (I disagree with your sentiment there), whereas the other doesn't have a creative bone in his body and relies on just about everything else.

He doesn't need to be playing with the Sedins or anything, but at least give him guys who don't have tunnel-vision, like Gaunce, Granlund, or Eriksson.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm with BG, here. Not too fussed about which of the "top 3" lines he starts on, so long as he actually gets ice-time. If he gets 10-or-less minutes I'll be choked.

What I DO want to see, though, is him getting a chance on the PP.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sutter is just about the worst possible fit for Goldobin, who plays a style that you can't really throw into an up and down grinder role and ask to work up the lineup. Their styles just don't mesh, like putting David Booth with the Sedins.

Even Gaunce and Granlund would be preferable linemates.

I think guys like Eriksson and Baertschi would be a good fit with him.

Personally, if you want to put him in the best/realistic position possible, I would have gone with Eriksson - Gaunce - Goldobin.

Have to totally agree with this.....sounds to me that Goldobin is the kind of player who needs a set-up man, and Sutter just doesn't make the players around him any better...if he lasts with Sutter, he's set up to be a non-factor as a third-line winger who'll likely spend an uncomfortable amount of time in his own zone....he'd be better off with Gaunce or shudder to say it, even Chaput imo.

But Willie won't tinker with his top two lines, because they're on fire!:sarcasm:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canucks won game 64 last year, giving them 62 points in 64 games. We currently have 59 points so at the end of the night we will either be 1, 2, or 3 points behind last year's pace.

After 63 games last year we had 60 points, 156 goals for, 183 goals against. 24th in the NHL, 4 points up on 28th, and 5 points up on 29th.

After 63 games this year we have 59 points, 146 goals for, 182 goals against. 28th in the NHL, 6 points up on 29th.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks won game 64 last year, giving them 62 points in 64 games. We currently have 59 points so at the end of the night we will either be 1, 2, or 3 points behind last year's pace.

After 63 games last year we had 60 points, 156 goals for, 183 goals against. 24th in the NHL, 4 points up on 28th, and 5 points up on 29th.

After 63 games this year we have 59 points, 146 goals for, 182 goals against. 28th in the NHL, 6 points up on 29th.

Somebody needs to print out this post and stick on the walls of the Canucks executive booth, when they're trying to figure out what to do with their coaching staff after this season is mercifully over.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Somebody needs to print out this post and stick on the walls of the Canucks executive booth, when they're trying to figure out what to do with their coaching staff after this season is mercifully over.

Or make sure Aquilini understands this when he says we're headed in the right direction. This team has regressed greatly BEFORE they started to sell and were still taking the approach of being a playoff team. How can anyone trust this management to rebuild a team when their efforts to turn the current team into a playoff team actually led to regression.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
WD doesn't want to disrupt the top two lines.

Oh yeah. Can't mess with the perfection going on there, Willie. The team might suck and not score goals or something, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad