Williams, Kopitar, Gaborik 4 goals total last 13 games

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
That 70s Line has scored 30 points in 6 games. Glad to see the bottom six contributing though. Nolan in particular. Hopefully the floodgates open for Brown after tonight.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I was kinda shocked when I saw that.

That's really bad for such a skilled players. Every player has scoring droughts but they all at the same time.

Imagine if they start scoring again.

I really think with the way Brown (Assuming Sutter keeps Lewis off that top line) has been playing Gabs and Kopi will start getting their goals again soon.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
This six game winning streak is almost a mirror image of the one at the beginning of the season. 70s Line carrying, Kopitar/Gaborik not going much.

Idk. I'm not getting too high or low on all this until things are a bit more decided. I still believe this team is different (worse) than the ones in 2012 and 2014. We'll see.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
During this streak, here is what guys outside of Toffoli-Carter-King have:

Williams- 2
Nolan-2
Brown- 2
Dewey- 1
Stoll-1
Lewis- 1
Kopitar- 1
Brown- 1

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
People still want to pay Kopitar north of $9M a season? Sorry, Kopitar is a fine player, but the only player the Kings have worth that kind of money is Drew Doughty.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
People still want to pay Kopitar north of $9M a season? Sorry, Kopitar is a fine player, but the only player the Kings have worth that kind of money is Drew Doughty.

Exactly. Kopi better not get anything close to 9 mil a season with the way he's trailed off.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Here's what will make the Kings give Kopitar whatever he probably wants. Who is the alternative to Kopitar?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I like Lewis with Gaborik and Kopitar. His speed it's perfect to pair with Gaborik and he does a lot of the dirty work for that line. And when they were together earlier in the season they did well.

I like Stoll but God his offense has just vanished. If he takes a sizeable pay cut we should keep him as the 4th line center but anything else is uncivilized. I mean him and Shore are basically the same and Shore is a lot younger.

Clifford has vanished into his hole again, but Nolan has emerged from his.

Greene needs to practice with the puck. It's not a grenade on your stick Matt but you sure as **** act like it is.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Here's what will make the Kings give Kopitar whatever he probably wants. Who is the alternative to Kopitar?

If the Kings want to spend $9M on a center, I suggest they give that money to Johansen when he becomes an UFA.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
If the Kings want to spend $9M on a center, I suggest they give that money to Johansen when he becomes an UFA.

Yeah, let's ditch our number 1 center that's won us two cups in favor of a c***puncher who's won nothing and held out because he was "disrespected" after his ELC expired. Craig Button, is that you? :)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I no longer have much offensive expectations for Kopitar. Secondary assists have helped pad his stats in recent seasons, but its been YEARS since he's been able to generate a significant amount scoring chances over any stretch of time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, let's ditch our number 1 center that's won us two cups in favor of a c***puncher who's won nothing and held out because he was "disrespected" after his ELC expired. Craig Button, is that you? :)

Just saying this is a kid that will be entering his prime. My main point is, don't give Kopitar $9M a season on a long term contract. We will regret it.

Besides, in terms of offense, Jeff Carter is the Kings' #1 center. Kopitar is still a great 2-way center, but he needs to be surrounded by other players on the team that carry a significant load. That is why the Kings can't pay him ridiculous money.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

He may become a free agent, but it's rare that players like him do. He's a legitimate alternative, but an unlikely one.

You never see players like him in free agency, trading for a guy like that is almost not worth it for what you would have to give up(unless you luck out and get Joe Thornton for nothing), and all that leaves is the draft, which can be a crap shoot even with high picks.

For better or worse, my guess is the Kings will be stuck with a big contract Kopitar. You could trade him before he hits free agency, but the return won't be as good as it would with a signed Kopitar. If he's signed, you wouldn't trade him. If you did trade him, who's he getting replaced with? It's not like Carter is getting younger either.

Yeah, it's a situation that any successful team will eventually find itself in. The job for Kings management is to keep the cheap prospects coming. They do that, they can extend the success. If they don't, they'll end up where the Devils are right now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I no longer have much offensive expectations for Kopitar. Secondary assists have helped pad his stats in recent seasons, but its been YEARS since he's been able to generate a significant amount scoring chances over any stretch of time.

May want to check your math on that. Where are you getting this info?

Just last year his first assists per 60 were .75 good for first on the team, second assists .4, good for 8th.

previous year 1A/60 .91 second to only matt greene (lol), 2A/60 .33, good for 9th.

If anything, he needs MORE secondary assists to vault him into the league leaders in scoring. Your fiction about his inability to drive the play is revisionist history based on this goal-scoring slump he's currently in.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Just saying this is a kid that will be entering his prime. My main point is, don't give Kopitar $9M a season on a long term contract. We will regret it.

Besides, in terms of offense, Jeff Carter is the Kings' #1 center. Kopitar is still a great 2-way center, but he needs to be surrounded by other players on the team that carry a significant load. That is why the Kings can't pay him ridiculous money.

I am sorry but this opinion is a joke. This BS on Kopitar will I guess never stop. He will end up with the same PPG as Toews ( plays with leading NHL PPG guy) even if he's "trailed off".
If Carter will ever outscore Kopi in the PO than start ringing the bells, I doubt he wil even end up with higher PPG in reg. season.

Jonathan Toews
CHI C 58 16 31 47
Anze Kopitar
LAK C 54 12 31 43

Patrick Kane
CHI R 58 27 36 63
Jeff Carter
LAK C 57 18 27 45
Does Toews also needs to be surrounded by other players on the team that carry a significant load ?

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I am sorry but this opinion is a joke. This BS on Kopitar will I guess never stop. He will end up with the same PPG as Toews ( plays with leading NHL PPG guy) even is he's "trailed off".
If Carter will ever outscore Kopi in the PO than start ringing the bells

Jonathan Toews
CHI C 58 16 31 47
Anze Kopitar
LAK C 54 12 31 43

Patrick Kane
CHI R 58 27 36 63

Does Toews also needs to be surrounded by other players on the team that carry a significant load ?

This would have more merit if Toews didn't outplay Kopitar in playoff match-ups. The straw that stirs the drink for the Hawks is Toews, for the Kings it's Doughty.

I used to agree with you quite a bit. What happened? Did you and Herby elope? :sarcasm:

I'm sorry but you're completely out to lunch with this. The Kings are going to walk away from one of their key guys in hopes they can sign a UFA (if he ever becomes one) that has accomplished jack **** in the NHL?

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
This would have more merit if Toews didn't outplay Kopitar in playoff match-ups. The straw that stirs the drink for the Hawks is Toews, for the Kings it's Doughty.

If you want to go that way Kopi did outplay Getzlaf. You think Carter would outplay Toews ?

If we talk contract I think Kopi will get around 8,5 not cause he doesnt deserve more but cause he has bought into the Lombardi system.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The reason Kopitar and Gaborik are not scoring as many goals as the 70s line is because they are on the number 1 line which is always matched up against the top line of the other team.

The reason the 70s line went on a cold streak is because other teams began to realize that they are just as good as the Kings top line and started targetting them instead of the Kopitar line. I'm sure we will see a lot of that again as the Kings play more road games.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am sorry but this opinion is a joke. This BS on Kopitar will I guess never stop. He will end up with the same PPG as Toews ( plays with leading NHL PPG guy) even if he's "trailed off".
If Carter will ever outscore Kopi in the PO than start ringing the bells, I doubt he wil even end up with higher PPG in reg. season.

Jonathan Toews
CHI C 58 16 31 47
Anze Kopitar
LAK C 54 12 31 43

Patrick Kane
CHI R 58 27 36 63
Jeff Carter
LAK C 57 18 27 45

It's not a joke. Toews and Kane's contracts will cripple Chicago's ability to keep and sign supporting players. Why should Lombardi make the same mistake just so Kopitar can get paid? What good does it do to pay Kopitar and not be able to continue to be a Stanley Cup contender?

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Sometimes I really get a felling that some Kings fans would like to be right with their "Kings will never win SC with Kopitar as their no. 1 center" ...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I used to agree with you quite a bit. What happened? Did you and Herby elope? :sarcasm:

I'm sorry but you're completely out to lunch with this. The Kings are going to walk away from one of their key guys in hopes they can sign a UFA (if he ever becomes one) that has accomplished jack **** in the NHL?

Meh, I was using a rather extreme hypothetical to make a point. I fully expect the Kings to re-sign Kopitar. I just think it would be a massive mistake to do so for 8 years and $72M total.

A lot of people around here think Kopitar deserves that kind of money, I don't.

BTW, you're no longer allowed to copy my picks in FGOG. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad