Player Discussion William Nylander

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I understand that, very shitty timing. We just never ever heard he had issues with migraines before.
He has mentioned it in the past but yeah it's definitely not something we heard much about or that he or the team has drawn much attention to. Like you said, just seems like unfortunate timing.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I’m not buying this at all. We all saw the clips of him skating he looked stiff as hell out there and could barely shoot.

A lot of headache issues come straight from the neck and jaw. He can very much have another issue that is ultimately creating headaches. So the neck would feel very stiff, maybe something he could play through with enough heat/work. But the migraines take over your life.

Honestly he's ridiculously brave to even be skating now. Series drama aside, he's in a battle to keep playing. I hope he figures it out, we lost too many good players to this over in Boston. The league is WAY better with him in it. I'd say he's my favorite Leaf, if such a thing is possible. The 88 doesn't hurt.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Migraines are a serious issue, they could end his career. So now we know why he plays the way he does. He is one good hit from being done. Unless those migraines clear up, he wont help much in a series like this. Leafs , if we didnt have bad luck, would we ever have any? Grim.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I dont think the Leafs could've handled this situation any poorer than they have. Just bad leadership. Shannahan desperately needs to be fired.
Agreed, you know for the most part, if Toronto just came out and said he was dealing with a head injury, it would stop a majority of speculation.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Question I have is: What is wrong with the depth players we signed. Why aren't they on the ice. Noah Gregor plays a similar game too Nylander. Why haven't we seen him??

• Wow
Reactions: TMLegend

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Management know the stakes are high. This is not a effin Oops. Contingency plan needs to be in place for injuries. They made so many moves, wasted so many $millions. Why are they not ready?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Migraines can last for a very long time, even weeks/months, but it's exceptionally rare. So it is possible, but for it to happen now would truly bolster "The Leafs are cursed" argument.

I any case, I'm not buying any crazy theories, doubting him (whether he's really injured or not), nor the lack of information from the team.
If he could play, I have no doubt he'd be playing. And the team is under no obligation - none - to tell us what's going on with him. If we know, then the Bruins know and depending on the nature of his injury (assuming it is one) that's not a good thing.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
This is pure speculation and I have no idea if it’s even possible but is it possible he’s been suffering from these migraines since that nasty hit from Egli during the world juniors? I know he was diagnosed with a concussion after that hit and it looked pretty brutal.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
If it's migraines, it is debilitating. But. I doubt he would even practice if he had such a severe migraine. Seems odd either way.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I dont think the Leafs could've handled this situation any poorer than they have. Just bad leadership. Shannahan desperately needs to be fired.
i agree .its like the old school boys ,acting embarassed .
the man has migrains

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
If it's migraines, it is debilitating. But. I doubt he would even practice if he had such a severe migraine. Seems odd either way.
That’s what I’m saying, I’ve dealt with migraines and the after effects , you don’t spend 50 min on the ice if you have migraine symptoms , you’d throw up.

Reactions: gab6511

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
How so? The team said he was injured. It was some fans who decided for, no reason, that he just didn't want to play.
This is the take.

They don’t owe anyone an explanation. It’s his personal medical situation. He’s played every game for 8 years. The guy clearly loves the game, and would be playing if he could. It’s obvious, given what we know about Willie, that he can’t play through whatever it is.

The media and a section of the fanbase is exactly the reason many players won’t play here, and this saga has been a great example of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad