Player Discussion William Nylander

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I keep thinking about that play where Nylander coasted along and didn’t touch the puck … which led to a long pass and goal.

Maybe Keefe was like WTF… right before the playoffs and he does that.

Now he’s sitting him for a couple of games knowing Willie will come back and take over games playing really strong.

It was a high stick. Turned out bad, but players don't touch high stick pucks all the time.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Not sure what it is and I'm no doctor. If he could go he'd be in and like some have said it could be a team decision.

In saying that ... I figure the earliest he's back is Saturday. Gives him another few days. Tonight would be nice but if it's something bad enough no sense in pushing it.

Either way the Leafs will need to have a lot gutsy performances from different players throughout the playoffs to go far.

A lot of guys play through injuries and I'm all for that depending on the situation. It just means next guy up has to be ready to go. Just saying there could be a silver lining to him missing with some other guys having more opportunity. Trying to look at the positive if he's not ready.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Boston is currently missing Forbert, Peeke, Brazeau, Poitras, and Lucic.
Carolina is missing Pesce and Fast.
Colorado is missing Annunen, Girard, Drouin, O'Conner, Francouz, and Landescog.
Dallas is missing Hakanpaa and Rosburg.
Florida is missing Bennett and Lomberg.
LA is missing Copley.
Islanders are missing Mayfield.
Rangers are missing Wheeler and Chytil.
Tampa is missing Johansson, Fleury, Sergachev, Seabrook and Brown.
Toronto is missing McMann, Nylander, Klingberg, Murray, and Muzzin.
Vancouver is missing Myers, Demko, and Poolman.
Vegas is missing Hague and Lehner.
Washington is missing Iorio, Jensen, Sandin, Bear, and Backstrom.
Winnipeg is missing Barron.

All these players are hurt to various degrees. Why is it only Nylander who you think can go but doesn't want to?

I suppose it's nice to know that you think he is absolutely critical to any playoff success we hope for.

No you see it's different with those players. Why... Well you see they aren't Nylander, nor do they play for the Leafs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Boston is currently missing Forbert, Peeke, Brazeau, Poitras, and Lucic.
Carolina is missing Pesce and Fast.
Colorado is missing Annunen, Girard, Drouin, O'Conner, Francouz, and Landescog.
Dallas is missing Hakanpaa and Rosburg.
Florida is missing Bennett and Lomberg.
LA is missing Copley.
Islanders are missing Mayfield.
Rangers are missing Wheeler and Chytil.
Tampa is missing Johansson, Fleury, Sergachev, Seabrook and Brown.
Toronto is missing McMann, Nylander, Klingberg, Murray, and Muzzin.
Vancouver is missing Myers, Demko, and Poolman.
Vegas is missing Hague and Lehner.
Washington is missing Iorio, Jensen, Sandin, Bear, and Backstrom.
Winnipeg is missing Barron.

All these players are hurt to various degrees. Why is it only Nylander who you think can go but doesn't want to?

I suppose it's nice to know that you think he is absolutely critical to any playoff success we hope for.
Come on. Leafs are missing Klingberg, Murray, and Muzzin? I get you are trying to justify Nylander being out, but let's not kid ourselves.

Reactions: Jojalu

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They were saying on 1050 he was going full out at practice the other day, fell down and laboured for a couple minutes, then went right back to full exertion. Probably seeing how his back responds.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Come on. Leafs are missing Klingberg, Murray, and Muzzin? I get you are trying to justify Nylander being out, but let's not kid ourselves.
He listed every player on each team that is on IR. Francouz for instance has already announced his retirement. Landescog also likely never plays again. He's not trying to justify anything, just showing that there are plenty of players on every team that are out.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He listed every player on each team that is on IR. Francouz for instance has already announced his retirement. Landescog also likely never plays again. He's not trying to justify anything, just showing that there are plenty of players on every team that are out.
@ToneDog was just being silly.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Those players aren't the best example, but the posters point still stands. There's no justifying going on, just facts. Some players are hurt and not playing on all teams. Nylander is being treated different by the white oakley crew, because well, that's the kind of people they are.

At least Willie's really injured, unlike the Marner supporters fabricating a Marner injury to excuse his poor performance.
Marner supporters? You mean Leafs fans?

At least Willie's really injured, unlike the Marner supporters fabricating a Marner injury to excuse his poor performance.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Honestly yes, and I like Ryan Reaves but that's not a realistic question
Unless you've never had an injury of any nature I don't see why you think that's not a realistic question.

You seem to have a spectacularly high opinion of his physical ability, combined with a spectacularly low opinion of his mental.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So is he out the whole series?

I'd be surprised unless it's a lot more serious than what has been said. Johnston said he'd be surprised if he's not playing tonight. He practiced the other day as well.

So I'd put it as a day to day thing. If not tonight, Saturday seems like a really good bet.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know - I guess I'm just mocking the "injured players always play in the playoffs" argument.

Even if you look at just McMann, it shows the weird double standard being applied. The very idea that he's either playing or malingering is ridiculous, and saying it is only Willy who does that (while simultaneously claiming he's indispensable to our success) is bizarre to say the least.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1713969979478.png

no matthews at morning skate.

TSN: squeaked out

That hurts. Probably true.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The way folks are pretending that injuries aren't a thing in the playoffs is just strange.

Arm-chair coaches have always been a thing, but now we have armchair doctors lol

If the Leafs organization had an issue with rampant speculation on the internet and by media they know what to do.

They choose to do the opposite so they have to live with the consequences.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins fans overanalyzing the 5 second clip of him hitting the ice and saying how he looks horrible and should be destroyed with hits etc. lol

Reactions: sxvnert

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Nylander skating on a line with Holmberg and Jarn this morning, sounds like he's a go.
Good to have him back, if he goes. The added offensive dynamic on the third line should help open up opportunities

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Nylander skating on a line with Holmberg and Jarn this morning, sounds like he's a go.
About f***in time. Great line.

Bruins fans overanalyzing the 5 second clip of him hitting the ice and saying how he looks horrible and should be destroyed with hits etc. lol
Bruins fans are terrified of the damage he will do.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Those players aren't the best example, but the posters point still stands. There's no justifying going on, just facts. Some players are hurt and not playing on all teams. Nylander is being treated different by the white oakley crew, because well, that's the kind of people they are.

Secondarily Leafs' fans maybe. Now, since you dodged the point, please provide evidence of current injury if you believe Marner is injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad