Player Discussion William Nylander

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What is your reasoning for Willy not wanting a cup when he's been the only one of the core to show up in every playoff series?
This is a myth.

If Willy wants to miss all of next season to rest his back...go for it. Lord knows we could use the LTIR. But this is the playoffs. You don't miss the playoffs. Unless you are dying, you don't miss these games.
If he aggravated a hip flexor and he is experiencing sciatica...no...he couldnt play

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is a myth.

If he aggravated a hip flexor and he is experiencing sciatica...no...he couldnt play

Guys play with broken wrists, broken ribs, punctured lungs, broken sturnums, etc this time of year.

Yes he can and we need him to.

Nylander is an elite talent And he's got to play It's not November It's time to get in the lineup.

Reactions: Drytoast

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Guys play with broken wrists, broken ribs, punctured lungs, broken sturnums, etc this time of year.

Nylander is an elite talent And he's got to play It's not November It's time to get in the lineup.

Yeah exactly like when we had Hyman with a torn ACL taking PK faceoffs, losing 80% of them, and giving Boston free powerplay goals at will. But at least he was a tough all heart warrior, that’s what really matters, not whether he’s effective at the job he’s supposed to do.

How about they just play the best lineup they can at any given moment? We have 3 D and multiple forwards sitting and waiting, I’d take any of them at 95% healthy over any of the starters at 60% healthy. If Nylander can’t skate full speed or reliably hit the net with power wtf is he going to be doing out there that helps us win a game?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

But can they play with a lacerated spleen

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah exactly like when we had Hyman with a torn ACL taking PK faceoffs, losing 80% of them, and giving Boston free powerplay goals at will. But at least he was a tough all heart warrior, that’s what really matters, not whether he’s effective at the job he’s supposed to do.

How about they just play the best lineup they can at any given moment? We have 3 D and multiple forwards sitting and waiting, I’d take any of them at 95% healthy over any of the starters at 60% healthy. If Nylander can’t skate full speed or reliably hit the net with power wtf is he going to be doing out there that helps us win a game?

Playing the best lineup we can requires Nylander.

As for your Hyman example that would be on Dubas for not getting them a PK center and forcing Babcock to play a winger as a PK center

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

I remember hearing stories about how Mario's back was so bad the Pitt trainers had to dress him during their Cup Runs in 91-92.

The fact that Nylander could get his gear on and step on the ice he should tough it out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Plenty of players don't though. Like we have no idea what he's going through so it's asinine to just assume he can play through his injury. I get the frustration and the desperation but it's not that deep.

Demko isn't playing either, people aren't dragging him through the mud? Bergeron missed playoff games through the years and nobody took a dump on him for not playing through an injury when he couldn't.

The assertion that he needs to play through his injury because a bunch of people were able to is absurd and a lot of you need to take a step back about dumping on someone injured.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

When you're at the beginning of the playoffs, it probably makes more sense to take a more conservative approach...

Series is 1-1 now, so the Leafs have weathered the storm without Will fairly adequately, but imagine he had been forced into playing, got the injury aggravated in those games, been knocked out of the series or been banged up for the rest of the playoffs, however long that is.

If he's starting tomorrow or Saturday and back to full health, that will be the best thing. About protecting the asset if this team will go on a longer run.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Plenty of players don't though. Like we have no idea what he's going through so it's asinine to just assume he can play through his injury. I get the frustration and the desperation but it's not that deep.

Demko isn't playing either, people aren't dragging him through the mud? Bergeron missed playoff games through the years and nobody took a dump on him for not playing through an injury when he couldn't.

The assertion that he needs to play through his injury because a bunch of people were able to is absurd and a lot of you need to take a step back about dumping on someone injured.

The way folks are pretending that injuries aren't a thing in the playoffs is just strange.

Arm-chair coaches have always been a thing, but now we have armchair doctors lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Journalistic integrity will do you a lot of good when you're out of work due to being blackballed by any potential employer, especially for a non-crucial semi-gossip story such as Perry.

Can anyone actually fault the insiders for not going public with these kinds of career-altering yet insignificant stories?

I sure don't.

For the most part, sports journalism isn't exactly serious business. It's part of the entertainment having grown ups in suits reporting on the day to day like it was actually important.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
People in this thread really acting like Nylander wouldn't play if he could. I'm sure he's super frustrated just sitting and watching.

You should watch his interview after one of the recent regular season games against boston - he was super pissed about losing lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The way folks are pretending that injuries aren't a thing in the playoffs is just strange.

Arm-chair coaches have always been a thing, but now we have armchair doctors lol

Who said injuries weren't a thing? Every single player, on very single team still playing is playing injured to some degree, they just are.

What I, and others like me are saying is we Know Nylander is hurt no question about it.

But according to Brady Tkachuk he had to help, his brother put his equipment on during the finals last year, do you know what that means? It means Matt was in so much pain that he could not dress himself.

Do you believe Willy is in so much pain that he can't dress himself?

I'm not denying Nylander is hurtbut I'm confident he can go.

and he's needed

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who said injuries weren't a thing? Every single player, on very single team still playing is playing injured to some degree, they just are.

What I, and others like me are saying is we Know Nylander is hurt no question about it.

But according to Brady Tkachuk he had to help, his brother put his equipment on during the finals last year, do you know what that means? It means Matt was in so much pain that he could not dress himself.

The level of sacrifice is going to be higher the closer you are to the goal of a Stanley Cup and isn’t comparable to this.

If the Leafs are going to somehow make it to the cup finals they still have 2 months to go and they’ll need a healthy Willie…

So far they are 1-1 and in good shape without him. Hopefully he’s back soon and we can stop taking about this.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

and he's needed

I think passing judgement by comparing two different guys in two different situations without knowing the nature of their injuries is pointless

Saying your confident Nylander can play without a single thing actually known about why he's out and what he's been dealing with just perplexes me

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

As for your Hyman example that would be on Dubas for not getting them a PK center and forcing Babcock to play a winger as a PK center

If only we had multiple high end two way centres with 50%+ faceoff ability on the roster..

If Nylander can’t skate or shoot he’s not one of our 12 best forwards right now, there is no further discussion necessary on the topic. Having him glide around and miss the net does nothing for us, likely hurts the team results on the ice, and likely sets back the timetable for him to be able to skate and shoot at an acceptable level.

Sure Bergeron and Tkachuk played through some nasty stuff, Tkachuk was invisible in the finals as a result. If Nylander was perfectly healthy and just had a bad case of the Hershey squirts, having him play the game because other guys on other teams have worse injuries doesn’t do anyone any good if he can’t skate two strides without doubling over and getting the ice cleaning crew called out every shift.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I keep thinking about that play where Nylander coasted along and didn’t touch the puck … which led to a long pass and goal.

Maybe Keefe was like WTF… right before the playoffs and he does that.

Now he’s sitting him for a couple of games knowing Willie will come back and take over games playing really strong.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Yall trippin so hard.

Judging by his movements I’d say he pulled that muscle between his shoulder blades. I do it once every couple years and it’s insufferable for 7-10 days and then I’m 100%. It’s probably something like that where he will come back quickly at 100% but would be really off his game if he did play.

If you have never had an injury like that, good for you, but they’re real and mine often happen doing absolutely nothing. Shampooing my hair for example.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Do you think having Nylander skating at 50% is better in the lineup than Reaves?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

and he's needed
Boston is currently missing Forbert, Peeke, Brazeau, Poitras, and Lucic.
Carolina is missing Pesce and Fast.
Colorado is missing Annunen, Girard, Drouin, O'Conner, Francouz, and Landescog.
Dallas is missing Hakanpaa and Rosburg.
Florida is missing Bennett and Lomberg.
LA is missing Copley.
Islanders are missing Mayfield.
Rangers are missing Wheeler and Chytil.
Tampa is missing Johansson, Fleury, Sergachev, Seabrook and Brown.
Toronto is missing McMann, Nylander, Klingberg, Murray, and Muzzin.
Vancouver is missing Myers, Demko, and Poolman.
Vegas is missing Hague and Lehner.
Washington is missing Iorio, Jensen, Sandin, Bear, and Backstrom.
Winnipeg is missing Barron.

All these players are hurt to various degrees. Why is it only Nylander who you think can go but doesn't want to?

I suppose it's nice to know that you think he is absolutely critical to any playoff success we hope for.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Armchair doctors who's only injury is carpel tunnel from digging into Dorito bags and spamming message boards with nonsense about things that they have never experienced and do not understand.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
If Nylander was healthy enough to play, such that he isn’t taking a big risk making his injury worse, and is a better option than Robertson, he’d be playing. But he is not, meaning the Leafs believe it’s better to keep him out. You can’t play through any injury. The guy has a muscle pull or spasm that can easily get worse.

Wondering why he won’t play hurt doesn’t make a lot of sense. They are not in the finals, we’re talking game 3 of round 1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad