Player Discussion William Nylander

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Anyone speculating that he is scared and not injured... this is the softest team we've played in at least 3 years, maybe more, but it is for sure one of the softest teams we've played in the playoffs in general.

OK saw this on twitter..... now O-dog has me thinking.... LOL

This makes no sense to me if he is a game-time decision, why would he be in Toronto?

Also, Boston has to address him potentially playing with their players and how to game plan it, if he is in Toronto, they don't.

I don't understand why he can't play right now but is practicing, I can't think of many scenarios where this would be the case, but I am hoping we will get clarity at some point and it'll make sense because I do agree it is a weird situation.

Sep 18, 2009
Anyone speculating that he is scared and not injured... this is the softest team we've played in at least 3 years, maybe more, but it is for sure one of the softest teams we've played in the playoffs in general.

This makes no sense to me if he is a game-time decision, why would he be in Toronto?

Also, Boston has to address him potentially playing with their players and how to game plan it, if he is in Toronto, they don't.

I don't understand why he can't play right now but is practicing, I can't think of many scenarios where this would be the case, but I am hoping we will get clarity at some point and it'll make sense because I do agree it is a weird situation.
O dog is a clown for sure (probably finished bottom of his class)
Hopefully Styles is ready for game 3

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

Yeah, it makes no sense. He’s basically been a game time decision. You don’t stay in Toronto if there is a chance you can play. He is likely waking up wondering if he is good enough to go, and making a call after the skate.

Seems he pulled a muscle, and doesn’t want to risk making it worse than it already is.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Yeah, it makes no sense. He’s basically been a game time decision. You don’t stay in Toronto if there is a chance you can play. He is likely waking up wondering if he is good enough to go, and making a call after the skate.

Seems he pulled a muscle, and doesn’t want to risk making it worse than it already is.
Ya it's gotta be a pulled muscle or his back

Reactions: Jojalu

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
The gutless faker.

What even is this? I don't see someone hurt so bad they can't play. All I see is cowardice.

I really hope this guy is traded in the offseason.

Treliving came in here preaching accountability. When is it gonna start. All he's done since getting hired is give people raises.

Including this crybaby.

Shanahan clearly overlooked character when drafting these boys. Only in the NHL can someone get a job running a multi-billion dollar franchise with their sole credential being able to hit bits of rubber with a stick. Calling this team a clown show would be an insult to clowns.

A clown can get trampled over by a bull and still show up for work the next day.
1713884592685.gif

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't think Willy is faking an injury but it would be interesting to see what it is, other players last year like Tkachuk tried to play through a Broken Sternum, Ekblad broke his foot in the first round and dislocated his shoulder at some other point in the playoffs and looks like he missed 1 game. so to me he might not be willing to play through an injury like others have in the past. but until we know the injury it's really difficult to have an opinion on it.

I could see the team being cautious going into game 1 it's not a huge deal if you lose, but game 2 while down 1-0 is a big game so we'll see probably once we win the cup or get eliminated we'll probably find out.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I asked quite a few people last night about Willy and not a freakin peep of info .. team has contained issue very well .. even a couple parents didnt know .. whatever it is team has decided to keep matter on pq .. i hope we see him at sone point in this series .. we need more on 3rd line .. please willy come back

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The gutless faker.

What even is this? I don't see someone hurt so bad they can't play. All I see is cowardice.

I really hope this guy is traded in the offseason.

Treliving came in here preaching accountability. When is it gonna start. All he's done since getting hired is give people raises.

Including this crybaby.

Shanahan clearly overlooked character when drafting these boys. Only in the NHL can someone get a job running a multi-billion dollar franchise with their sole credential being able to hit bits of rubber with a stick. Calling this team a clown show would be an insult to clowns.

A clown can get trampled over by a bull and still show up for work the next day.
Buddy you have no idea what the f***s going on. Could very well be a concussion (with a guy who's had a history of them) that's keeping him out of action. Makes sense they'd keep it quiet so the cheap shot artists on the Bruins don't take any notes.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He didn’t play for the last month so luckily the team is used to his absence.

Would be good to have him back on the 3rd so that when he feels like playing that line can do something. The 3rd is sort of a collection of spare parts at the moment.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I asked quite a few people last night about Willy and not a freakin peep of info .. team has contained issue very well .. even a couple parents didnt know .. whatever it is team has decided to keep matter on pq .. i hope we see him at sone point in this series .. we need more on 3rd line .. please willy come back
Fact that he skated two days in a row, and depending on their situation today (are they skating? travel day?), and assuming he's on the ice tomorrow for morning skate, that will be 4 skates he'll have been involved with - have to think we see him sooner rather than alter if that's the case.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah. I hope that puts an end to some of the ridiculous speculation.

The bottom line is that if he was able to play, he would have played.

Hopefully he'll be back very soon (no pun intended).
You think that "back support" gets him off the hook? Gilmour was injected with steroids and pain killers every game of the 93 playoffs because you couldn't force that man to sit.

"back support" give me a break.

You either have a will to play and risk it for the team or you are too focused on making money and your health after hockey.

WINNERS choose the former. Losers choose the later.

• Haha
Reactions: thinkblue

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think Willy is faking an injury but it would be interesting to see what it is, other players last year like Tkachuk tried to play through a Broken Sternum, Ekblad broke his foot in the first round and dislocated his shoulder at some other point in the playoffs and looks like he missed 1 game. so to me he might not be willing to play through an injury like others have in the past. but until we know the injury it's really difficult to have an opinion on it.

I could see the team being cautious going into game 1 it's not a huge deal if you lose, but game 2 while down 1-0 is a big game so we'll see probably once we win the cup or get eliminated we'll probably find out.

I would rather he not play through an injury. If he just injured himself in the last game then what was going on for the last 10 games of the season, he would be better off not playing then playing how he did to finish the season especially if he's actually hurt.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You think that "back support" gets him off the hook? Gilmour was injected with steroids and pain killers every game of the 93 playoffs because you couldn't force that man to sit.

"back support" give me a break.

You either have a will to play and risk it for the team or you are too focused on making money and your health after hockey.

WINNERS choose the former. Losers choose the later.

There are some injuries you literally can't play through.

Not to mention if it's a situation of take a few days and then come back 100% healthy vs barely be able to play for a few minutes during games 1 and 2, the unemotional, rational choice is pretty clear

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

That clip they show has him in Boston. When did he return to Toronto?

You don't understand why a player can practice but isn't ready to play? Seriously?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Were I in charge of the Leafs, I wouldn't say a thing about an injury either. Why give the other team a target when the player comes back?

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
O dog is a clown for sure (probably finished bottom of his class)
Hopefully Styles is ready for game 3
He's completely insufferable lately, complete obnoxious blowhard who wants to rip on people and then doesn't like it when someone tries to explain to him the explanation for something.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad