William Karlsson gets goal number 40

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
So up to 41 goals now. He tied Daniel Sedin (41 goals 2010/11) for Swedish players with most goals scored in a season. Other than those two, there are 7 other Swedish players who has scored 41+ goals in a season. Håkan Loob, Kent Nilsson, Markus Näslund, Mats Sundin, Tomas Sandström, Henrik Zetterberg and Daniel Alfredsson. A few of those had multiple 41+ goal seasons.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is one of those stories that you just have to treasure as they happen, and then try to make a sober read on afterwards. Don't spoil the moment, but don't let it fool you in the long run either.

It is an amazing story though. Not just because of the achievement, but by how out of the blue it came. It's not like with Marchessault where there was plenty of signs that pointed towards something great. Before the season, I would have been more comfortable with an analysis that painted Karlsson as not quite skilled enough to be a scorer, not all-round enough to be a complementary player than I would be with one that said he'd be a top line player, never mind a 40 goal scorer.

As early as last year people were saying John Gibson would plateau as borderline starter and others went as far as to say he's a bust.
That would have been a bad take already then, in my opinion.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Karlsson is also leading the league in plus|minus by a significant margin. +45 now, 8 in front of Marchessault, 12 in front of Marchand and 13 in front of Reilly Smith.

Pretty similar to that season when Vanek scored 43 goals and led the league in plus|minus (+47) on a high firing Sabres team.

He's also averaging 1:38 minutes per game on the PK.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
By the way, what happened to Oscar Lindberg? Started out fairly well with 5 goals in 11 games. Since then 4 points (2+2) in 48 games. 2 assists in 59 games isn't exactly earth-shattering. Also –10. Battling injury? Buried on the depth chart? Just sucking?

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
So up to 41 goals now. He tied Daniel Sedin (41 goals 2010/11) for Swedish players with most goals scored in a season. Other than those two, there are 7 other Swedish players who has scored 41+ goals in a season. Håkan Loob, Kent Nilsson, Markus Näslund, Mats Sundin, Tomas Sandström, Henrik Zetterberg and Daniel Alfredsson. A few of those had multiple 41+ goal seasons.

Sundin scored 47 goals in the 92-93 season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think he’s the real deal.

As a top 6 player sure. But he needs work if he wants to come close to repeating this.
By the way, what happened to Oscar Lindberg? Started out fairly well with 5 goals in 11 games. Since then 4 points (2+2) in 48 games. 2 assists in 59 games isn't exactly earth-shattering. Also –10. Battling injury? Buried on the depth chart? Just sucking?
He's more of a factor away from the puck to be honest.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
He has chemistry with his linemates, he's now a first line center, and he will be on the 1st units for both the pp and pk. He will get all the opportunity to post around 70 pts next year, provided he stays healthy. Opportunity is half the battle. I think he's the real deal too. 40 goals is hard for any player...but pts wise i can see him getting 70 again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad