Will Zuccarello clear waivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy*

But he has a point. If Zuccarello actually leaves the Rangers, so will most of the Norwegians on this board ;)

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
Zucc is being given a day off it seems. This is it for him. If he doesn't come back and start putting up points he won't continue to play. Not going out on a limb here.

So its confirmed that he is a healthy scratch?

Just for the record I started to follow Rangers in 1985...before zucc was born.
As a norwegian do I think its exiting to have him on the roster? Hell yea!
But was a fan before he came along and will continue to be so after he leaves.
Which I belive will be sooner rather than later.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
It just occured to me that we're around 1 inch away from this thread not being created in the first place. How fickle the universe can be sometimes.

Cause and effect.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Unsure if he plays tonight, currently it seems he's at the 3rd line with D.moore and fast..

That was at the morning skate..

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
But he has a point. If Zuccarello actually leaves the Rangers, so will most of the Norwegians on this board ;)

That's okay. We here at HFNYR, or the rest of the Rangers fan base, do not need bandwagon fans who only follow players, and not teams.

If you're only here because of Zucc you have little to offer to the discussion.

Wolfy*

Unsure if he plays tonight, currently it seems he's at the 3rd line with D.moore and fast..

That was at the morning skate..

He plays..

@NYRangers For the #NYR tonight @zuccarello36 goes back in to the lineup against Detroit, @BMash23 and @JuicerFalk will be healthy scratches

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
That's okay. We here at HFNYR, or the rest of the Rangers fan base, do not need bandwagon fans who only follow players, and not teams.

If you're only here because of Zucc you have little to offer to the discussion.

Im a ranger fan. Also hope zuke does well.

So kinda annoying to be called bandeagon fan

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have been a Rangers fan longer than many posters have been alive. My dad was a fan starting in the 1940's. It was kind of bred in to us being born in Brooklyn. I will welcome anyone that supports any Ranger players. I much rather have a fan from a different country that actually supports our players/team than somebody from NY posing as a fan that just bashes our team left and right. I welcomed fans from Sweden that followed Ulf and Anders in the 70's. I welcomed fans of Reijo in the 80's. I welcomed fans of Lundy in 2005 and I welcome fans from Norway now. I admire their dedication. They weren't born 30 minutes from Penn Plaza. Some of them stay up till 4AM to watch games. They do not have MSG network. They are treated pretty bad at times. I had favorite players all my life starting with Gresh in the 1970's. Why would I ever put them down for following their favorite player?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Im a ranger fan. Also hope zuke does well.

So kinda annoying to be called bandeagon fan

If the shoe fits...

I'm not calling all Norwegian posters bandwagons, just the ones who are here to watch Zucc and only Zucc.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I have been a Rangers fan longer than many posters have been alive. My dad was a fan starting in the 1940's. It was kind of bred in to us being born in Brooklyn. I will welcome anyone that supports any Ranger players. I much rather have a fan from a different country that actually supports our players/team than somebody from NY posing as a fan that just bashes our team left and right. I welcomed fans from Sweden that followed Ulf and Anders in the 70's. I welcomed fans of Reijo in the 80's. I welcomed fans of Lundy in 2005 and I welcome fans from Norway now. I admire their dedication. They weren't born 30 minutes from Penn Plaza. Some of them stay up till 4AM to watch games. They do not have MSG network. They are treated pretty bad at times. I had favorite players all my life starting with Gresh in the 1970's. Why would I ever put them down for following their favorite player?

When they say something as stupid as Wolfy about taking their ball and going home because this team waives or trades Zucc, then yeah, I'm going to be relatively intolerant of that attitude.

I welcome anyone and everyone who wants to come to HFNYR and discuss THE RANGERS. If all you ever talk about is one player, you add little to the discussion and exercise an extreme bias that does not allow you to objectively analyze the team. I like Zucc, I want him to succeed because I am a hockey fan first and foremost, and then a Rangers fan. However, I'm not going to care if a handful of posters leave the board because of one player. It's been nice knowing you, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Wolfy*

If the shoe fits...

I'm not calling all Norwegian posters bandwagons, just the ones who are here to watch Zucc and only Zucc.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that. Many posters on the HF boards follow players more than teams.

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
When they say something as stupid as Wolfy about taking their ball and going home because this team waives or trades Zucc, then yeah, I'm going to be relatively intolerant of that attitude.

I welcome anyone and everyone who wants to come to HFNYR and discuss THE RANGERS. If all you ever talk about is one player, you add little to the discussion and exercise an extreme bias that does not allow you to objectively analyze the team. I like Zucc, I want him to succeed because I am a hockey fan first and foremost, and then a Rangers fan. However, I'm not going to care if a handful of posters leave the board because of one player. It's been nice knowing you, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

I really dont think there are so many guys on this forum from Norway, who is here only because of zuke.

But its your opinoin and I have to respect that.

Lets move on

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

While I can understand your point of view to a point I think that is based on how/where you grew up. I had NY Rangers pushed in to me since around 1975. Guys from Norway did not. I can not expect them to see and feel the same way about the team as I do. Now if Zooks continues here it is likely they stay Rangers fans for life. I welcome them regardless of why they came here. I'd rather have guys supporting Zooks/Rangers than bashing their own players/team non stop.

I often follow some of my favorite players in all sports even after they are traded. NY Rangers fans cheered Eddie G and booed the Rangers when Eddie came back as a Redwing. That was around 18,000 fans not only supporting their favorite player but actually booing their own team in that game.

I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost before even being a hockey fan but I'm not going to put you down based on your priority.

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
While I can understand your point of view to a point I think that is based on how/where you grew up. I had NY Rangers pushed in to me since around 1975. Guys from Norway did not. I can not expect them to see and feel the same way about the team as I do. Now if Zooks continues here it is likely they stay Rangers fans for life. I welcome them regardless of why they came here. I'd rather have guys supporting Zooks/Rangers than bashing their own players/team non stop.

I often follow some of my favorite players in all sports even after they are traded. NY Rangers fans cheered Eddie G and booed the Rangers when Eddie came back as a Redwing. That was around 18,000 fans not only supporting their favorite player but actually booing their own team in that game.

I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost before even being a hockey fan but I'm not going to put you down based on your priority.

By far the best post i've read in here.

Thank you

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

Believe me, The Rangers have picked up a huge fanbase in Norway because of Zuke, and many of them have never followed NHL before. Many of these will still still follow NHL, at least a little bit, and most of them will have Rangers as their favorite team.

I'd rather have guys supporting Zooks/Rangers than bashing their own players/team non stop.

:clap:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Being a fan for as long as you have, are you sure Eddie is a good comparison?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

It was not a comparison. I was trying to point out that even lifelong NY Rangers fans from NY showed they have loyalties to some players as well. On that night the crowd often put their loyalties to Eddie above their loyalties to the team. Most fans have player loyalties. We do not just root for a blue jersey. We root for the players wearing that jersey. I kept up with Nicky Fotiu in Hartford. I kept up with Eddie Johnstone in Detroit.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Agreed, that's hardly analogous.

A good analogy would be, for example, going to a University of Minnesota message board and railing on and on about Skjei and how the coach is a moron for not giving him more offensive duties at Reilly's expense, making excuses for his slow start as a freshman, why he shouldn't have sat last year, pointing out all the juniors and seniors who weren't playing well, etc. - without a word about the overall success of the Gophers or any other player on the team (except in reference to how that player was keeping Skjei back). Over and over and over and...

Hey, if you have an interest in a player and from that interest you develop a genuine rooting allegiance to the TEAM, I am all for that. If you have favorite players who you want to see do well as the team does well - or players who you think could help the team do better if they were used differently by the coach, I am all for that. But I have no patience for anyone, player or fan, who roots for the name on the back of the jersey over the name on the front.

It was not a comparison. I was trying to point out that even lifelong NY Rangers fans from NY showed they have loyalties to some players as well. On that night the crowd often put their loyalties to Eddie above their loyalties to the team. Most fans have player loyalties. We do not just root for a blue jersey. We root for the players wearing that jersey. I kept up with Nicky Fotiu in Hartford. I kept up with Eddie Johnstone in Detroit.

Keeping tabs on a favorite player after he goes to a different team is very different than engaging that team's fanbase to push an agenda of promoting that player's success over that of the team.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Keeping tabs on a favorite player after he goes to a different team is very different than engaging that team's fanbase to push an agenda of promoting that player's success over that of the team.

That is a strawman argument since I have not seen anyone trying to promote Zooks over the teams success. If Zooks succeeds it helps the team. It does not hurt the team. They could just as easily say that the haters rather Zooks fail then the team succeed.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That is a strawman argument since I have not seen anyone trying to promote Zooks over the teams success. If Zooks succeeds it helps the team. It does not hurt the team. They could just as easily say that the haters rather Zooks fail then the team succeed.

You haven't seen the hypothetical Skjei scenario I outlined above played out on these boards in regards to Zuccarello? Seriously?

In any event, to bring it back on topic: I do not think Zuccs would clear waivers were the Rangers to waive him. Due to the flashes of talent I have seen him show and his affordable contract, I think it would make tons of sense for a team like Pittsburgh or even the Islanders to take a flyer on him. Put him with a powerhouse center like Crosby or Tavares who dominates defenders' attention and see if Zuccs thrives in the open ice created. At his salary, if it doesn't work out, it's no big deal - you just waive him again.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Booing your own team is tough love, just like the making fun, or being negative that you were referring to earlier. It's not a turn against the team. Yes certain players will fall in and out of favor, but they are usually fringe players who do nothing and add no value to the franchise or its history.

Likewise cheering for an ex-Ranger when they come home is a sign of thanks for everything that player did for them while here in New York. They're not supporting that player solely, they are supporting their contribution to the team over the years. Which is also a completely different scenario then we are facing here with Zuccarello.

He is quickly becoming one of those fringe players who had nothing of value to the franchise. Will Zucc be cheered if he leaves and comes back to NY? No. Will we still boo the team if they play poorly? Absolutely.

Also, the difference between me being a hockey fan before a Rangers fan, and them being a Zucc fan before a Rangers fan, is that no matter what happens, I will DEFINITELY ALWAYS be a Rangers fan. That cannot be said for the people here who are first and foremost a Zucc fan.

Again, look at the GDT. It's a large portion of wah wah'ing about Zucc being on the fourth line. They may be a small group of posters, but they are very vocal. There is no reason a fringe player needs so much attention. Attention that has been rehashed here a dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad