• No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Nope. I think too much damage was done in the first couple of months.

Oh look at that! I'm the first to vote no!!! Suckers!! Join me on the dark side!

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Nope. I think too much damage was done in the first couple of months.

Oh look at that! I'm the first to vote no!!! Suckers!! Join me on the dark side!

They've mostly recovered from that damage and are currently in playoff position if you look at point percentage. The tough part is that there are 4 other teams in a similar position, fighting for the last 2 wild card spots.

I think there's a decent chance they still miss. All it takes is one rough stretch of ~10 games and it'll be an uphill battle again.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d say there is a 75% chance.

We are 2 points out now

Goalies were league worst for beginning of season.

Spurgeon or Brodin both back soon

Hartman, Foligno, Mojo showing signs of life

Faber & Rossi are studs who keep getting better

Teams in front of us are all middling at best

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Outside of getting they younger guys experience, why would you want them to? This version of the team isn't going to do anything. What good comes from it if they do? What're the benefits? Sure we get at least 4 more games to watch. Past that, we get a worse draft pick. What, the miniscule chance they go on a some weird, magical Cinderella run? We all know the teams that do well in the playoffs have great special teams. The Wild don't come close in that regard. The PP% is at like 23rd and the PK is still hanging out with the turds in the bottom of the bowl. Relatively certain their PK is still in the bottom 5 or 6 in the league. I mean, sure. Let's take over Toronto's consecutive streak of 1st round exits. I love the franchise. So, if they make it, I'll watch. But, I have zero expectations.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Outside of getting they younger guys experience, why would you want them to? This version of the team isn't going to do anything. What good comes from it if they do? What're the benefits? Sure we get at least 4 more games to watch. Past that, we get a worse draft pick. What, the miniscule chance they go on a some weird, magical Cinderella run? We all know the teams that do well in the playoffs have great special teams. The Wild don't come close in that regard. The PP% is at like 23rd and the PK is still hanging out with the turds in the bottom of the bowl. Relatively certain their PK is still in the bottom 5 or 6 in the league. I mean, sure. Let's take over Toronto's consecutive streak of 1st round exits. I love the franchise. So, if they make it, I'll watch. But, I have zero expectations.

I get some people don't like "rooting for losses" or whatever, but this is well said

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I like the way you think! Toronto thought they had nothing left to lose, but we'll show them.

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetnut

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I like the way you think! Toronto thought they had nothing left to lose, but we'll show them.
7Dk4apSbWKpZ6-2921557389.gif

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Oh I dont know to maybe attempt to have a better chance to keep #97 happy and in a Wild uniform, missing Playoffs next couple years wouldnt help that.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Oh I dont know to maybe attempt to have a better chance to keep #97 happy and in a Wild uniform, missing Playoffs next couple years wouldnt help that.
Yeah, I'm sure a first round exit will go a long way to keeping him happy.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It won’t just be a first round exit. It will be an absolute blowout against whoever they get stuck facing. Does anyone really think this team can even remotely compete with a Dallas of Colorado team?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Look at it this way:

-I don’t see us picking top 10

-There is minimal difference between picking 14-16 and missing the playoffs versus picking 17-19 and being in the playoffs.

-Yes, playoff experience is valuable and I’d like to see how Hynes does with the roster.

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It won’t just be a first round exit. It will be an absolute blowout against whoever they get stuck facing. Does anyone really think this team can even remotely compete with a Dallas of Colorado team?
No, I don't think they can compete with Dallas or Colorado, but I also didn't think the 2003 Wild could compete against Colorado or Vancouver, much less both. Nor did I think the Ducks could take down the Red Wings or Stars that year, again much less both.

The playoffs are a small-sample tournament, and crazy things can happen in small samples.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
No, I don't think they can compete with Dallas or Colorado, but I also didn't think the 2003 Wild could compete against Colorado or Vancouver, much less both. Nor did I think the Ducks could take down the Red Wings or Stars that year, again much less both.

The playoffs are a small-sample tournament, and crazy things can happen in small samples.
I mean , it’s not like the 2003 team won a cup. They didn’t even make the finals. Who cares about some improbable lucky run to the conference final. The idiots in charge should not be trying to replicate an improbable lucky bullshit half assed run of a few wins. They should be trying to build a contender.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I mean , it’s not like the 2003 team won a cup. They didn’t even make the finals. Who cares about some improbable lucky run to the conference final. The idiots in charge should not be trying to replicate an improbable lucky bullshit half assed run of a few wins. They should be trying to build a contender.
The Ducks made the finals, though, and were within a game of winning the Cup. Really though, I just want to see more than a single round. Cinderella teams basically never win the whole thing, but they make entertaining runs, and entertainment is the entire purpose.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
The Ducks made the finals, though, and were within a game of winning the Cup. Really though, I just want to see more than a single round. Cinderella teams basically never win the whole thing, but they make entertaining runs, and entertainment is the entire purpose.
Winning the cup is the end goal though. To get the epitome of entertainment in this specific context, losing at the end of the run just frustrates everyone. By that last sentence you posted, as long as they get to the playoffs or make a run the team has fulfilled it's purpose and it will never matter if they win the cup.

To me, losing in the first round is the equivalent of a participation trophy.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Winning the cup is the end goal though. To get the epitome of entertainment in this specific context, losing at the end of the run just frustrates everyone. By that last sentence you posted, as long as they get to the playoffs or make a run the team has fulfilled it's purpose and it will never matter if they win the cup.

To me, losing in the first round is the equivalent of a participation trophy.
Winning the Cup is the ultimate goal (not the only goal) for a single season, yes, but not the purpose. Those two things are different from one another and should not be conflated. If it were the purpose of a team, that team would just fold the moment they won a Cup because they'd have achieved their entire purpose. Hockey wouldn't exist at all if it weren't entertaining, and the Cup wouldn't exist at all if hockey didn't. Entertainment is the purpose of hockey, hockey teams, and hockey leagues. No, teams don't fold when they win the Cup, they fold when they stop being entertaining enough to make money.

And no, when speaking of purpose, it doesn't matter if they win a Cup or not. As long as the team is entertaining enough, fans will keep watching, and the team won't fold. The only reason winning a Cup is entertaining is because of how rare it is. If it were easy, you wouldn't care about it. You want the frustration, because victory is hollow without it.

You're not wrong for feeling like your frustration will only be relieved by the team winning a Cup but, likewise, people who want to see a deep playoff run aren't wrong for that being enough for them. I think the Wild beating the Stars, specifically, in a playoff series would go a long way toward me feeling like this was a successful year. The Avs would suffice.

I understand that my point here is somewhat philosophical, but I hope I provided clarity into my post's meaning.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To me, if we are not going to go full tank for one year, then you try your best to win as long as you don't mortgage the future. I can't get excited about the difference between choosing 13th and 23rd.

With the unlooked for play of Faber (WAY better than Dumba), Rossi, and the return of most of our other players to form(Boldy, Kap, goalies) I think we have a shot. CO is talented but thin. DAL and WPG are doing well, but are beatable, as are the other teams in the Central if we are firing on all cylinders.

Tanking is a dangerous game. Done correctly, like pre Crosby PIT and pre Kane CHI is fine, but hard to pull off. Just look at DRW, Sabres, even EDM and TML, who struck the motherload in the draft but haven't been able to make it pay off on the ice, ultimately. Losing can get to be a habit, and while it's easy for us to treat the players as chess pieces, the players themselves have short careers, and are affected by their surroundings. A Ryan O'Reilly can be part of the problem on a losing BUF squad, then end up leading a well run STL team to a Cup.

Basically, enough of the defeatist shit. Let's give it a try... one of these years there will be a breakthrough. Look at Seattle last year, VGK in their first year. It made no sense, but they were the opposite of a tank team, and they got results.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah Faber & Rossi playing like they have has changed our outlook. I think this team is capable of winning a series or two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad